Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default [UT] Superfine claws?

Hello all!

So, the Claws advantage allows to deal slashing damage with your unarmed attacks if you so chose.

If you have claws due to a cybernetic graft, it's a pretty safe bet they aren't organic.

How much more wouldit cost to take retractable cyber claws as described in Ultra Tech Cybernetics, and make them superfine for the bonuses it implies (extra damage and armor divisor), both as a cyber upgrade cash cost, and as the final point value added to your character after they have recovered from the surgery and can now again fight?

Also, as a tangent to superfine claws...Given enough perseverance, and assuming you can hide you using them from guards... How long would it take to break out of a TL 8 cell by say directly using the claws on the bars/lock until you can leave, assuming alternate security protocols (that is, more ruthless prison design than what we have currently) such that the guards would never come close enough that you could get the jump on them before eating a 12G shot, and guards jumpy enough who wouldn't hesitate to shoot you at the slightest hint of trouble?
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Mathulhu

Default Re: [UT] Superfine claws?

By my understanding Superfine Claws would be normal claws plus an armour divisor of 2 and 2 points of damage.

There are several builds but my preferred ones are; Extra Arm (Weapon Mount) [2] and then buy the equivalent weapon will in character money or Claws (Sharp) [5] and Accessory (Claws are actually Superfine) [1].

Which one I use depends on the campaign and if I want them to be removable and upgradeable or not.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
Harald387

Cutting attack, 2 points, ST-Based, +100%; Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%, Switchable, +10%. 8 points, I think, but I normally make GCA do the math and don't have my books with me, so someone should double-check me on that.

As a cash cost, I'd start with 'apply the superfine cost modifier to the existing procedure'.

For breaking out of jail, determine the HP and DR of the bars and figure out how long it takes to break out from there. It might be a depressingly short time.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
Cutting attack, 2 points, ST-Based, +100%; Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%, Switchable, +10%. 8 points, I think, but I normally make GCA do the math and don't have my books with me, so someone should double-check me on that.

As a cash cost, I'd start with 'apply the superfine cost modifier to the existing procedure'.

For breaking out of jail, determine the HP and DR of the bars and figure out how long it takes to break out from there. It might be a depressingly short time.
Maths seems right. Just remember that the cost depends on the damage you can deal. [edit] I just reread the rules for adding modifiers to melee attacks such as claws, in Powers on p.146. and I think it's slightly easier actually. You simply find how much damage you do with your melee attack. Calculate what it would cost had i been a melee innate attack (7 pts per 1d dam, for a cutting attack) and then only pay for what the chosen modifier would cost. So if you have ST:13 (1d thrust dam) you would pay +50% of 7 pts = ~4 pts to add and Armour Divisor of (29 to your claws.
The tricky part is that the price depends on your thurst damage. So if your bionic arm has ST:19, then it woud lbe more expensive to add an Armour Divisor, than if you have ST:11.[/edit]

Also, I am afraid it would be impossible to get through those bars with such a low damage. Even the thinnest bars (1/2") in campaigns has DR:6. So even with an Armour divisor of (2) you wouldn't be able to damage them with 2 pts of damage. [edit]I see now you meant to add a cutting AD attack on top of the normal St-based attack. So yes, you could likely, quickly go through those bars[/edit]

Last edited by Maz; 11-01-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Hello all!

So, the Claws advantage allows to deal slashing damage with your unarmed attacks if you so chose.

If you have claws due to a cybernetic graft, it's a pretty safe bet they aren't organic.

How much more wouldit cost to take retractable cyber claws as described in Ultra Tech Cybernetics, and make them superfine for the bonuses it implies (extra damage and armor divisor), both as a cyber upgrade cash cost, and as the final point value added to your character after they have recovered from the surgery and can now again fight?
Depends on the options you use.
It can be:
-Accessory sharp claws claws[1],
- strength based cut damage 2 points: Innate attack cut (2 points of damage x0.6, str based +100%, armor divisor (2): +50%, melee C: -30%, switchable +10%)[10]
- Modifying ST based damage rules (Powers 146): cut damage 2 points: Innate attack cut (2 points of damage x0.6, , armor divisor (2): +50%, melee C: -30%, switchable +10%)[6] and the cost to add (2) and change to cutting to your ST based damage.

Quote:
Also, as a tangent to superfine claws...Given enough perseverance, and assuming you can hide you using them from guards... How long would it take to break out of a TL 8 cell by say directly using the claws on the bars/lock until you can leave, assuming alternate security protocols (that is, more ruthless prison design than what we have currently) such that the guards would never come close enough that you could get the jump on them before eating a 12G shot, and guards jumpy enough who wouldn't hesitate to shoot you at the slightest hint of trouble?
Technically you could not do it if you are not strong enough to penetrate the DRas steel is not marked as being ablative to repeated attacks. And if you were strong enough to penetrate the DR then a few seconds.

But in real life if you have access to a noticeable stronger material than the one you are trying to cut you would eventually be able to do it.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
Phantasm

It's probably easier to use the claws on the lock than on the bars directly, IMO. A mechanical lock has a lot of small fiddly parts inside you could find it easier to cut through, and an electronic/computerized lock can be notoriously fragile on the inside. However, either has the possibility of jamming locked instead of opening. Getting through the casing to damage the lock can be a challenge, too.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
superfine claws, ultra tech