Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 08:27 PM   #51
Kage2020

Default Re: Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
I’ve been saying for a while that GURPS needs an easier on-ramp for new players and GMs. How To Be A GURPS GM is helpful, and Powered by GURPS games can be too. Third edition’s Basic Set was a better introduction to the system as a learning tool, but it was less of the promised ‘generic and universal’ without extra spending on supplements.
I begin to wonder what fraction of people posting here, or in the powers that be, actually remember what it was like to be new to GURPS.

For reference, I was using GURPS a lot but I ran into a road block in how to achieve some things. As a result of this, I jumped ship and spent several years working with other generic systems. In the end I came back to GURPS because it still supports so much *stuff*.

Finding that stuff, though? That's hard. In one request I got pointed to GURPS books and Pyramid articles. That's... off-putting for a new player, and even an older player that is getting back into it and has shelled out considerable cash on current offerings.

I also think that I have one of the better "on ramps" in that I'm incredibly lucky to be in a group that involves people that are, ah, very familiar with GURPS.

So, yeah, in a world where RPers seem to be ageing out and, if nothing else, shifting to less crunchy games with less prep? Seems like some action needs to be taken, but what that might be I don't know.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:50 PM   #52
mburr0003

Default Re: Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just troll

My monies on "trolling"... but...

And I say that because just three years ago Kromm made a great list of all the reasons why there wouldn't/couldn't be another edition any time soon, and hte biggest one was "technology isn't right for it yet" and it still isn't.

However, he doesn't run the company. It's been twenty years with one edition, Evil Stevie might have decided two years back it was time to adjust GURPS to appeal to the Narrative First crowd (which GURPS can do, it just needs the Basic Set rules to be shifted to contain those options up front as options), list all the crunch and narrative methods as options, and better explain to newb GMs how to make those decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
If they've been secretly working on a new edition for two years, January of this year (the TikTok video) seems a bit late to be soliciting suggestions on what it should be like.
Because that wasn't what that was about. That was a setup question (following a lot of rampant speculation about "wouldn't now be the time for GURPS to capitalize on WotC's stumble?") with a "Oh, hey guys, we already do all that stuff you want to see in a new edition" answer.

Seriously go watch the follow-up Tik-Tok they put out the next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
I begin to wonder what fraction of people posting here, or in the powers that be, actually remember what it was like to be new to GURPS.
I do. GURPS literally made everything I wanted to do as a Player and GM easier.

Which why after a decade of playing D&D I dropped it like the limited stumbling ungainly beast it was and jumped on the GURPS bandwagon, and have stayed 95% true to GURPS for the last 33 years.

Last edited by mburr0003; 05-29-2023 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:00 PM   #53
Kage2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
I do. GURPS literally made everything I wanted to do as a Player and GM easier.
I think that my previous posts are coming off as being GURSP negative. This is totally not the case.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:26 PM   #54
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Maybe we'll finally get Cabaret Chicks on Ice
Or GURPS Survivors. With Hot Lead support. Neither wishful rumors or vaporware announcements are exactly a new thing.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:31 PM   #55
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
I think that my previous posts are coming off as being GURSP negative. This is totally not the case.
I don't think you're GURPS negative, you probably wouldn't be here if you were... but I'm beginning to suspect your not a "gearhead", as I use the term. You don't just intuitively grasp mechanics, which is just something I do, and probably a few others in this thread, but (it's just sparking for me again - I forget sometimes) it's not a thing for everyone.

Everyone has their talents, for me it's how systems go together and work, so maybe I'm simply missing how some aspects of GURPS might be more difficult to "just get" than others.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:04 AM   #56
Celjabba

A random thought: Gurps Ring of Fire have been hinted at for 2023.
A new version of Gurps Lite, reworked and upgraded to the layout standard of DFRPG or Girl Genius would complement it nicely. That could be 2 of the "sekrit projects ".

More than a 5th edition (that I believe unnecessary), I feel promoting Gurps would be helped a lot by a 'Friendly' Lite, the current version is a bit dry compared to modern initiation boxes from various rpg.

Last edited by Celjabba; 05-28-2023 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 01:27 AM   #57
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
A random thought: Gurps Ring of Fire have been hinted at for 2023.
A new version of Gurps Lite, reworked and upgraded to the layout standard of DFRPG or Girl Genius would complement it nicely. That could be 2 of the "sekrit projects ".

More than a 5th edition (that I believe unnecessary), I feel promoting Gurps would be helped a lot by a 'Friendly' Lite, the current version is a bit dry compared to modern initiation boxes from various rpg.
I'd like both, but I'm not holding my breath for GURPS Ring of Fire. Eric Flint's passing couldn't have made it easier. There's a horde of authors behind the series.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:50 AM   #58
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Or GURPS Survivors. With Hot Lead support. Neither wishful rumors or vaporware announcements are exactly a new thing.
I've got some Challenge magazines somewhere with full-page colour adds for Hot Lead.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Old 05-28-2023, 04:52 AM   #59
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
I'd like both, but I'm not holding my breath for GURPS Ring of Fire. Eric Flint's passing couldn't have made it easier. There's a horde of authors behind the series.
When I saw "GURPS Ring of Fire" my first thought was a book on the Pacific and the Pacific Rim (and probably on getting your village wiped out by a volcano or tsunami).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Old 05-28-2023, 05:13 AM   #60
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
Because that wasn't what that was about. That was a setup question (following a lot of rampant speculation about "wouldn't now be the time for GURPS to capitalize on WotC's stumble?") with a "Oh, hey guys, we already do all that stuff you want to see in a new edition" answer.

Seriously go watch the follow-up Tik-Tok they put out the next week.
Seriously I saw both videos and I'm perfectly aware of what they were saying and implying. I'm pointing out the disconnect between the two-year timeline being talked about and the timing of the TikTok video.
Closed Thread