Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 12:22 PM   #21
robertsconley

Default Re: GURPS 5E?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
I'd rather see a new version of Lite, or a new intro book "Essental GURPS" (for a low buy in).

Or a "Starter Set" and before everyone jumps in with "That's what Dungeon Fantasy RPG is", no it's not. It's GURPS focused on fantasy, but is still full of "advanced" rules, tactical combat, high powered character options, etc.
GURPS needs a lighter presentation as a lead-in. I don't think the game itself has to change. Just presented as you describe above.

Also supported as well.

But this also gets into territory that more effectively covered by The Fantasy Trip. Which also has cool physical stuff you can fiddle with. Not a lot of easy answers at this point in GURPS history.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:22 PM   #22
Gigermann

There can't be a GURPS 5e until the 4e Vehicles creation rulebook comes out—those are the universal rules :P A set of Compendiums will herald the change.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:04 PM   #23
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
I would have said “never gonna happen” too, but that post from the official SJG account makes me wonder. [link]
Wow, that is real? I just confirmed from the main page and that account is on the Follow Us section. Thought it was a fake account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
There can't be a GURPS 5e until the 4e Vehicles creation rulebook comes out—those are the universal rules :P A set of Compendiums will herald the change.
I disagree. As much as many would like it its not needed and would be an expensive editing job. I do still have hope to see it one day but think the player volume would have to get a significant bump before they commit to GURPS VDS.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-16-2023, 02:16 PM   #24
dbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Wow, that is real? I just confirmed from the main page and that account is on the Follow Us section. Thought it was a fake account.
I thought exactly the same, and had to check from the main page too!
Old 01-16-2023, 02:44 PM   #25
Stormcrow

I'm pretty sure the same issues that prevented GURPS Bestiary and GURPS Vehicle Design System being made will prevent a wholesale recreation of GURPS in the way that any of you are imagining.
Old 01-16-2023, 03:28 PM   #26
Gollum

Christ Normand is the Guy who could work on a full digital edition of GURPS. He almost already did it with GURPS GCS and VTT. At least, he designed tools that makes it far much easier to use.

He and Kromm would make an outstanding edition. But it would require a lot of money and time, of course. I'm not sure Steve Jackson Games can afford that.
Old 01-16-2023, 03:42 PM   #27
acrosome

Y'know what I would be interested in for a 5E? A complete reboot without backwards compatibility, like what Apple did with OS 10. Fix all of the things that you know should be fixed and start anew... better.

The classic example is the ST damage table. It has gotten reproduced through multiple editions basically because it would completely screw up legacy statistics for large monsters, giant robots, etc. Change it to the improved damage progression here:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=10

(Kromm approved.)

And for the love of God change the name of "Shock" to something else- it isn't shock (medically speaking) and it confuses people. That being said I don't really have a better proposal- maybe "jolt" or "stupor"?- but hell you're professional writers so I'm sure that you can come up with something. Maybe make armor-as-dice official? So fix all of the things like that, and Ultra-Tech could be updated of course- tech levels, and it has reality approaching/surpassing fiction in spots.

A lot of ads/disads need to have a zero level like Magery 0 to be more intuitive. Like Terror. Right now Terror 1 allows a Fright Check with no modifier, and Terror 2 allows one with a -1 modifier, and so on. WTF?!? Instead have a Terror 0 with no mod, Terror 1 is at -1, Terror 2 is at -2, etc. Obviously this is not so for things like Charisma, which should probably still start at level 1. And some things desperately need to be clarified, like when you should use Observation skill as opposed to a Perception or sense check.

The next task would be to collate and include the things from other products that really should be in the core books and put them there. Things like Powers and essentially all of the content from the entire Power-Ups series, How to be a GURPS GM, etc. But this would be the time to rationalize a lot of it too- do away with so many of the Talents that are redundant because they all came from prior works whose authors had slightly different visions. Standardize. Do away with some of the sillier names for ads/disads, and change some of the names of things that don't quite fit. The "Mr. Smash" Talent could certainly have a more descriptive generic name, frex. And better spell out which are appropriate for normal humans (or how many levels are appropriate), which are cinematic, and which are completely exotic or supernatural. (Did you know that RAW is that Acute Senses are not appropriate for non-cinematic humans, other than some pretty tight exceptions?)

I guess that this could all basically be described as a sort of a "terminal edit".

Things like Magic, Thaumatology, Horror, Low Tech, High Tech, Ultra Tech, etc. should still be separate books, but turn the core books into a true comprehensive toolkit.

And I have to put a shout out to Ken Hite, here- Horror is one of the best RPG supplements ever written. Full Stop.

Last edited by acrosome; 01-18-2023 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:04 PM   #28
Refplace

Ok since this was actually asked here are my thoughts. Just came up with this walking to my mailbox so not fully thought out, please bear with me.
Play to GURPS strengths. Modularity.
GURPS Core 5E for certain smaller works that comprise the main system.
GURPS Core 5E: Players Guide
Aimed at players. Explains how to play, how skills, combat and other things work and how to build characters. Includes trait lists but not explanations except when used as an example.
GURPS Core 5E GMS Guide
Likely the biggest book, aimed at GMs and most of campaigns would be included.
GURPS Core 5E: Traits
Lists and explains all advantages, disadvantages, skills, perks, quirks.
Some stuff from GURPS Powers such as power frameworks, stunts, etc.
The idea here is that Traits is a reference book but not needed by everyone at the table. The Players Guide would include costs and such so once you know what a trait is you can build a character just using the Players Guide.
GURPS Core 5E: Thaumatology
Not really a reprint of Thaumatology, more a guide to playing a mage and the various magic systems and key concepts. Refers top other Thaumatology supplements for details but gives an idea what they are.
Renames GURPS Magic to College Magic, Hawthorne or something else.
GURPS Core 5E:Settings
Advice on building or adapting a setting.
Maybe GURPS Core 5E: Equipment for the tech books or maybe just include basic equipment in the players and GM guide and leave the tech series as is. Including things like Spaceships.

Later products would be added to those or new lines.
GURPS Settings would have Nightreign, Infinite Worlds, Conan, etc all with GURPS Settings in the title so people know what they are getting and can easily search for settings to find one. This bumps up the visibility of settings and would be a flag in W23 or Shopify.
GURPS Traits would be where most of the Power-Ups go and if called out in the core likely not need to be republished or updated.
GURPS Players Guide could have supplements for niches like warriors, thieves, or supporting cast.
Thaumatology various magic systems.

More thought needs to go into the idea but I think the concept is workable.
The idea being instead of two huge books that people find long reads you break it down to more focused sub products,
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 01-16-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:18 PM   #29
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
GURPS Core 5E: Traits
Lists and explains all advantages, disadvantages, skills, perks, quirks.
Some stuff from GURPS Powers such as power frameworks, stunts, etc.
The idea here is that Traits is a reference book but not needed by everyone at the table. The Players Guide would include costs and such so once you know what a trait is you can build a character just using the Players Guide.
I do kind of like the idea of expanding the Basic Set to three books, with one being nothing but traits. Especially if we cram Powers and Power-Ups into it. It's size could be kept somewhat under control by breaking all things magical off into a separate book, as you propose.

Here's a question- should Action be considered core, and put into the GMs book?
Old 01-16-2023, 04:38 PM   #30
Donny Brook

My 200 cents:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=87
Closed Thread