Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #601
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

I still want to know about the vampire-angel alliance.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #602
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Isn't that from the backstory of Vampirology? (fun series, fiction in encyclopedia form).
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #603
PK

Quote:
As mentioned here, I changed that. Specifically, I changed it to a mummy-vampire alliance, because I felt like I was overusing angels -- they should be a very rare foe. So now one of the six campaign settings in MH2 features an alliance between the mummy Menkheperre and the Khaimov clan of vampires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
I'm wondering if the weapons will just be a subset of what's in MH: Loadouts, or if there will be some new gear present.
Let's just say that if one hunter wants to use a circular saw; one wants to use a silver-coated, titanium axe with holy inlays; one wants to use a flare gun; one wants to use a pair of 9mm machine pistols (one loaded with silent, holy-water rounds and one with match-grade, thermate rounds); and one wants to use a shovel . . . MH1 has you covered.

Quote:
Are there any options other than Witch or Sage that fit that?
Of the ten templates included in MH1, no, none of them fit better than those two. Honestly, the best I can say is, "He's not a sage, but that's close enough that you might as well count yourself right for thinking so."

Quote:
Thanks. It's proving to be entertaining. When you get back from vacation, perhaps you can post another vignette.
Sure . . . how about the short one from the intro to MH1? Here's the very first thing that opens up the series:
Scott kicked open the double oak doors of the senator's bedroom. Senator Radnor -- or rather, the thing wearing Senator Radnor's skin -- looked up from his book.

"It's over, skin-changer. You have three seconds to return to Hell peacefully . . . or we send you there painfully."

Danielle stepped to Scott's left, her sword scabbarded as she held a water balloon with a menacing grin. "Do me a favor -- choose pain." Behind her, Everett silently guarded their rear.

The pseudo-senator didn't break character for a moment. "I don't know who you people are, or what you think you're doing, but if you don't leave, I will summon security." He stood and glared, with just a hint of a . . . smile?

Instinctively, Scott jerked his hand toward the ceiling. From the gloom above, a pair of tiny glowing eyes looked back down. Then three pairs. Then seven. Then too many to count. Scott got out, "Y'know, just once I wish . . ." before the ceiling turned into a flutter of wings and he had to let the roar of his assault carbine speak for him.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #604
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
As mentioned here, I changed that. Specifically, I changed it to a mummy-vampire alliance, because I felt like I was overusing angels -- they should be a very rare foe. So now one of the six campaign settings in MH2 features an alliance between the mummy Menkheperre and the Khaimov clan of vampires.
Aw. Oh well, guess I'll have to make my own! Hrm. Is a secret order of vampire jesuits too over the top?

Quote:
and one wants to use a shovel . . . MH1 has you covered.
"Lucille, God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well."

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #605
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
"Lucille, God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well."
Also, screwdrivers...yeah, screwdrivers work really well when you shove them in eye sockets after the Witch has magic'ed them into silver. 'Specially 'gainst them there werewolves.

Bonus points for Mystery Men, one of the most awesome Supers movies around, now...now I have to go watch it though :/

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:27 AM   #606
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Still, I've thought about submitting some of the material I wrote for my group as a Pyramid article once Monster Hunters is released. It might be fun, I know my players had fun with it, maybe others will too.

Ghostdancer
Given that you have a head start, you definitely should do so. Especially if they can be run as convention one-shots. Maybe you could get two articles into one issue - 1) the adventure and 2) a character group. I'd definitely like to see it. It would be something to help convince me to stay subscribed to Pyramid.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #607
griffin

Quote:
Interesting. I'd have expected angels as Allies rather than foes, but I suppose there are plenty of examples in recent movies where angels appear as foes. Looking forwared to seeing the mummy/vampire alliance. Also how you are handling vampire clans.

Quote:
Let's just say that if one hunter wants to use a circular saw; one wants to use a silver-coated, titanium axe with holy inlays; one wants to use a flare gun; one wants to use a pair of 9mm machine pistols (one loaded with silent, holy-water rounds and one with match-grade, thermate rounds); and one wants to use a shovel . . . MH1 has you covered.
Cool. Definitely more than just a subset of the Loadouts: MH. My two questions are - 1) can the circular saw be thrown (as in do you mean the blade) and 2) what's a silent, holy-water round? Fired from silencer equipped gun, or is there magic involved in silencing the round.

Quote:
...from the intro to MH1? Here's the very first thing that opens up the series:

Scott kicked open the double oak doors of the senator's bedroom. Senator Radnor -- or rather, the thing wearing Senator Radnor's skin -- looked up from his book.

"It's over, skin-changer. You have three seconds to return to Hell peacefully . . . or we send you there painfully."
Thanks. Wondering if skin-chager is a were, or something else.

Last edited by griffin; 03-11-2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: fix quoting
Old 03-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #608
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Given that you have a head start, you definitely should do so. Especially if they can be run as convention one-shots. Maybe you could get two articles into one issue - 1) the adventure and 2) a character group. I'd definitely like to see it. It would be something to help convince me to stay subscribed to Pyramid.
I'm not here to convince anyone to stick with Pyramid, Pyramid subscribers are keeping it around all by themselves (or so the Stakeholder Report says). I had fun with the few sessions I ran, and like I said I found it pretty easy to port over. ;)

Quote:
Thanks. Wondering if skin-chager is a were, or something else.
According to my players a tough-@$$ annoying fight that knocked out the Techie...

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #609
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'm not here to convince anyone to stick with Pyramid, Pyramid subscribers are keeping it around all by themselves (or so the Stakeholder Report says). I had fun with the few sessions I ran, and like I said I found it pretty easy to port over. ;)
Keeping it around and thriving are too different things. Pyramid needs to hold on to it's subscribers and build up that base. Monster Hunters is one of my interests and I'd like to see support material in Pyramid. If you are up to writing it great. If not hopefully someone else is.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #610
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Keeping it around and thriving are too different things. Pyramid needs to hold on to it's subscribers and build up that base. Monster Hunters is one of my interests and I'd like to see support material in Pyramid. If you are up to writing it great. If not hopefully someone else is.
I'm thinking I might put something Steven's way see what he thinks, so perhaps keep your eyes peeled ;)

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!

Tags
monster hunters