Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-27-2022, 09:11 AM   #481
Hide

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

OK, let us make this clearer.

Pacifica is a Dreadstormer. She does not want to give away her position, first because that is her job, second because if Vinobi gets caught he could spill the beans and point Pacifica.

Why would I toss Pacifica’s effort and blow her cover away?

My impression of most of the Zorbani crewmen is that their skills rank from bad to average at everything they do and that they often fail. I do not want to risk Pacifica in a way Vinobi involves her.

If Vinobi's doubt is genuine, he cannot confirm that she's a Dreadstormer because he doesn't know for sure. Can he confirm something he is not sure about?
All he has got is circumstantial evidence that plays in his favor but only for him and his group.
If he gets caught and interrogated, his statements about Pacifica will sound like a gossip or a lie.

It may be a high-tension situation, but this is not about the odds, it is about the facts and the things useful to Vinobi.

Pacifica has been talking between lines with Vinobi since their first meeting, and the information she presented was real.

You say Vinobi is "confused", but what did he do as the story advanced?
What happened in the story when the subverted got Hua's note?
If this was regular people, the reaction you describe would have been understandable. But would an officer really be stuck with "uh-oh, I am confused, high-tension yet sleepy" or would an officer actually do something about it?

Vinobi has seen the works of the Dreadstormers first-hand, he even said "so you got Zybo".
He already knows 3 Dreastormers can take over a ship.
Pacifica is telling him they got a lot of security members in their pocket.
He is receiving valuable intel from a source that has not compromised him, but could have done so quite easily trough Zybo.

How is his view limited? Pacifica is giving him all the details.

I do not expect him to believe in Pacifica; however, even if she was not a Dreadstormer but actually a Zorbani doing a great job, the smartest thing an officer would do IMO is replying “I will confirm this, thanks for your hard work”.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:35 AM   #482
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I mean, if she's just a Zorbani doing a good job, the best thing to do is to eliminate her.

I understand the stance and goal now.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:37 AM   #483
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Should I act to notify the other officers now? Who do I give my opinion to? Any specific directions for us? Are we more useful as extra guns or as a backup measure?"

Altering this text to say:

Quote:
"I'll let the others know. Are any officer's involved in this plan?"

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-28-2022, 11:58 AM   #484
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
"One concern is whether there is a self-destruct the Captain can trigger if he fears his ship is being taken. We've got to take the bridge in pretty short order."
I got a question; is it normal for this kind of ship to have a self-destruct? If so, who would have the authority to detonate it?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:17 PM   #485
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I got a question; is it normal for this kind of ship to have a self-destruct? If so, who would have the authority to detonate it?
I have no idea, I just thought it might make sense to have a way of scuttling (that's the word I was trying to think of earlier!) the ship if you feared it was about to be taken over by Dreadstormers.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:06 PM   #486
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

It does not have a self destruct... but crew members are very capable of sabotage. It will be mechanical and improvised rather than a simple button though. Most sabotauge can be eventually fixed.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #487
Hide

If you divide our forces in 3, how many people are we going to have per squad?

How many people are we going to face per section?

How many people is going to support the ship's defense?

Where will you put the prisoners?
Old 02-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #488
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
If you divide our forces in 3, how many people are we going to have per squad?
We've got two shifts of 28, 4 guys from the brig, the two guards I captured at the brig, and the sergeant (not sure if he's included in the shift count). So that's 21 people per squad.

Quote:
How many people are we going to face per section?
Uh, pass.

Quote:
How many people is going to support the ship's defense?
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...es#post2370227

OK, so there's 90 guards total. Both security sections are short a little so I guess that means that Daymar's earlier brainwashing plans have had a little success. With the two sections under our control, and the two we captured from the brig, OpFor is down to ~26 guards.

There are 33 officers. We have 6 of them. I think Pacifica ought to go slit Zybo's throat before he realizes he made a big mistake. But right now OpFor is down to 27 officers.

I dunno how many people have been given guns from the general armoury, but I think we can discount them given word will start spreading that the guns don't work. There's probably going to be some people brave or foolish enough to be a hero. Probably more if we don't take prisoners.

So I figure ~100 crew, half of whom have no weapons.

Quote:
Where will you put the prisoners?
Well my (IC) opinion is "Take none, at best cuff them and leave them where they are."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:52 AM   #489
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
We've got two shifts of 28, 4 guys from the brig, the two guards I captured at the brig, and the sergeant (not sure if he's included in the shift count). So that's 21 people per squad.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...es#post2370227

OK, so there's 90 guards total. Both security sections are short a little so I guess that means that Daymar's earlier brainwashing plans have had a little success. With the two sections under our control, and the two we captured from the brig, OpFor is down to ~26 guards.

There are 33 officers. We have 6 of them. I think Pacifica ought to go slit Zybo's throat before he realizes he made a big mistake. But right now OpFor is down to 27 officers.

I dunno how many people have been given guns from the general armoury, but I think we can discount them given word will start spreading that the guns don't work. There's probably going to be some people brave or foolish enough to be a hero. Probably more if we don't take prisoners.

So I figure ~100 crew, half of whom have no weapons.

Well my (IC) opinion is "Take none, at best cuff them and leave them where they are."

That's pretty much correct.

For the command centers, count chairs to find out how many people. In life support, you have around 60 people working it, but they're spread out among a bunch of different locations. In those locations, the only armed resistance you anticipate is officers and maybe a couple of guards. There shouldn't be more than two or three officers at each command center.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #490
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's pretty much correct.

For the command centers, count chairs to find out how many people. In life support, you have around 60 people working it, but they're spread out among a bunch of different locations. In those locations, the only armed resistance you anticipate is officers and maybe a couple of guards. There shouldn't be more than two or three officers at each command center.
Sounds like we should have pretty solid odds here, and Daymar will convert more crew in the command center he helps take. Hua and Pacifica, which of you is going to help take the other command center, and which life support?