Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 07-25-2018, 06:52 AM   #1
Bruno

Default What would Pyramid Volume 4 look like?

I do hope Pyramid returns with Volume 4, when resources become available and whatever format that should be in becomes apparent.

Possibly a hybrid between vol 2 and vol 3 - subscription based, and articles as individual documents instead of collected together, but instead of having late-subscribers get access to the entire back catalog for free, have the individual articles delivered to the subscribers account during the period of subscription like we do currently.

Make back-catalog articles available for purchase a-la-carte - I would suggest annual "catch up" bundles to save users from clicking a billion "add to cart" buttons.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: What would Pyramid Volume 4 look like?

Or possibly something like Ogrezine, a GURPS-related anthology of short pieces, potentially Kickstarter-driven.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
Mack_JB

Like it or not, the Kickstarter version is most likely, seeing how the retail world has changed.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
ArchonShiva

I’d certainly prefer a format in which articles on the same topic would be easily found together, rather than purposefully kept apart because magazines try to keep variety in each issue.

Go to tables, find all tables;
Go to adventures, find all adventures;
Go to new spells, find all new spells.

That said, access to the back catalog is important, but I haven’t found a good way to do this without freeloading new customers.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
I’d certainly prefer a format in which articles on the same topic would be easily found together, rather than purposefully kept apart because magazines try to keep variety in each issue.

Go to tables, find all tables;
Go to adventures, find all adventures;
Go to new spells, find all new spells.

That said, access to the back catalog is important, but I haven’t found a good way to do this without freeloading new customers.
This a hundred times over. I waste so much time trying to figure out which article had some rule I vaguely remember.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #6
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Who cares if they're freeloading? The back catalog is already paid for, and people are growing increasingly weary of "microtransactions."

I say either do it like the current model, or like the Volume 2 model, but don't try to mix the two in that fashion.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 AM   #7
SteamBub

Maybe Vol 4 could look like the Pyramid Dungeon Collection project that is happening right now. Where SJ Games can ask would-be writers to submit an item for a particular Pyramid Collection. Each collection could look like Pyramid Technomancer Collection or Pyramid Spaceships Collection, anything really.
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:21 AM   #8
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamBub View Post
Maybe Vol 4 could look like the Pyramid Dungeon Collection project that is happening right now. Where SJ Games can ask would-be writers to submit an item for a particular Pyramid Collection. Each collection could look like Pyramid Technomancer Collection or Pyramid Spaceships Collection, anything really.
I always thought it was a shame that All Star Jam wasn't enough of a success to warrant more volumes – but Pyramid3 was in some respects the same sort of thing.

Thinking about an individual-articles approach, I don't think you could sell enough to overcome transaction and per-publication costs - commissioning and layout get more expensive for four stand-alone publications than for a Pyramid issue as a whole.

On a cost-per-page basis, $2.81 for twentieth-century Paris or $1.30 for East Berlin is clearly an unsustainably low price. (Based on page count of articles in Pyramid 117 divided by the 37 pages of non-cover, non-advertisement content.) But how much would people pay? And how many people would specifically pay for East Berlin, rather than for a Pyramid issue with multiple locations in it? (Assuming they aren't GURPS completists like me.)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:37 AM   #9
lachimba

From the outside looking in I see little chance of Pyramid returning while GURPS 4E is still its main focus (Ofcourse I see even less chance of it returning if GURPS 4E isn't there).

I see a hypothetical possibility of DF or even DFRPG (if things had gone differently) being supported directly on a subscription based model.

Even a $1USD a week subscription for one article (A one or two page monster write up). A semi crowdfunding model where is it was an add on to a successful kickstarter or patreon.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
Vaevictis Asmadi

My preference would be to do it as much like Volume 3 as possible. I appreciate that each issue has a particular, unifying topic, and that if I'm interested in that topic I can buy that particular issue, rather than paying for a bunch of Dungeon Fantasy or Ultra-Tech issues when the one I wanted was about (say) Thaumatology. It makes me much more likely to buy Pyramid at all. If I had to pay for lots of issues I had no interest in, to get any Pyramid at all, I probably just wouldn't subscribe.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote