Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
Mr Dalton

Default Magical Skill Idea: Going Dim

I don't even visit these forums for months and now suddenly starting new threads.
I don't know if this is already a skill somewhere, but this idea hit me out of nowhere and thought maybe others might like it.
The term comes from the Stephen King books, which is a magical skill for being unnoticed. It's not true invisibility, it's just being super unobtrusive. Flagg referred to the skill as "Going Dim." Terry Pratchett had a similar idea with Granny Weatherwax, though I don't remember what he called it right off the top of my head. And the trope is kind of established in other fantasy media.
But anyway, the skill is a very hard Will skill and you have to have Magery at least up to level three to take it.
While using the skill, people will ignore you and not remember you were there afterward. It's not the same as invisibility because they do see you and will go out of their way to walk around you if you're in their path, but they won't remember doing so. You're just another face in the crowd, even when there isn't a crowd to be a face in.

There are some strict limitations, though. The only action you're allowed to take while using this skill is to move at normal speed. Speaking, using any other skill, or even just running, or moving in a way that isn't normal will break the effect. Additionally, if anyone is actively searching for you (or just actively searching for anything), they can potentially spot you.
This would be an opposed roll of their perception vs your dimming skill. If they have other perception based skills that apply, like Observation, those skills can be used in place of perception alone.

You cannot use this skill while being observed; however, someone just looking away for a second is all the opening you need to activate the skill.

This skill would be how spellcasters just seem to suddenly appear in the room without any visible signs of magic. They were always there, you just didn't notice them until they wanted you to notice them.
Mr Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
invisibility art, skills