Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #81
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: #Dungeon23 Megadungeon Challenge

Feb 16 etr

Description: A 5 yard by 5 yard chamber. Hooks in the stone walls indicate where tapestries once hung. In the center of the room is what looks like a standing mirror, mounted to the ground, containing a portal crackling with energy on each side: one side is red, one side is blue. A chest is next to the portals, and a metalic circle 3 yards across inlaid in the floor gives off a gleam of light.

An inscription crudely scratched into the wall says: "Red - No Weapons, Blue - No Magic"

The metalic circle: Supernatural creatures must succeed with a quick contest of will vs 20 to cross this circle. Moving the chest beyond it requires the same contest, as does doing damage to the circle. If the circle is damaged (requiring the will effect), the effect will be destroyed

The Chest: A large wooden chest, the same dimensions at its base as the portal. Its lock has been destroyed. It is enchanted in connection with the gates. It contains a Holy emblem of the God Maelstros, a deity of Water and Chaos, made of silver and studded with semi-precious stones ($5,500, 2 lbs), and a staff with a large crystal on the end of it ($2,000, 4lbs). These are power items of former delvers. The chest's bottom has a magic effect attached to it (its a portal)

The Gates: The gates are two way gates that cannot be cast through. Passing through the Red gate removes any item with a blade or long haft: they are teleported to the chest. If the chest is full and shut, anyone with a relevant item will get stuck partway through until the items in the chest are able to be pushed out of the chest or are removed. The Blue Gate removes power items, mana stones, paut potions, and Items with energy reserves in a similar fashion

Exits: The room has three Standard wooden doors, plus the two portals.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:06 AM   #82
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Feb 17 etr

Description: A giant cross, 10 yards by 10 yards, with each "arm" 4 yards across, inscribed in a square composed of passages 2 yards across and 2 yards high. A stone engraving of a rat occupies the center of the floor.

Monster: A floating sphere full of eyes with a trunk ending in a large round disk for shooting its crushing beam and air wall, and a mouth surrounded by small tentacles under that.

Code:
ST 12     HP 18         Speed 7.25
DX 15     Will 14       Air Move 10
IQ 12     Per 12        
HT 12     FP 12         SM +0

Dodge 11    Parry NA    DR 2

Crushing Beam (16): 2d6+2 crushing, double knockback, beam weapon
Air Wall: Creates a wall of turbulent air. 
Passing through requires suceeding at a check vs either DX or ST-4 to avoid falling down. 
 Attacks with a physical component (melee weapons, missile or thrown weapons, and ball spells) 
passing through the wall are at -6 to hit.

Skills: Aerobatics-14, Flight-12, Stealth-15, Innate attack-16

Traits: 360 degree vision, Magic resistance 4,
Doesn't breath, eat, drink or sleep, 
 immune to metabolic hazards, 
Injury tolerance (No neck, no Brain),
 No legs (Aerial), Vibration sense (air)

Class: Elder Thing
This elder thing doesn't negotiate, but fights cannily, hiding behind its force walls and attacking from afar.

Exits: A strong iron-banded door is at each end of the four arms. They are not locked.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-20-2023, 10:16 AM   #83
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Feb 20 etr

Description: A 10 yard by 3 yard passage. small holes are in the ceiling (10 feet high), 12 inches across, about every yard or so. A roll against IQ, Tactics+6, Strategy+6, traps+6, or architecture+6 identifies these as murder holes, so that stones and other hazards can be thrown through them at anyone below.

Exits: Each End of the passage is secured with a wooden vault door (DR 12, 54 HP). These doors open freely from the outside, but from the inside, they are magelocked, opening only via a gem placed into the door. They appear to have been destroyed and repaired several times.

Monsters:
In the room above (see TBD) are two dozen skeletons with large piles of rocks and dropping skill-14, as well as their commander (see entry). Each rock dropped weighs 20lbs and does 1d6+2 damage. Return fire through murder holes is at -6. Remember attacks from above are at -2 to attack and -2 to defend against!

Old 02-22-2023, 01:33 PM   #84
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Wow, this pace is hard to keep up!

22 Feb 2023 etr

Description: A 9 yard by 20 yard room, 30 feet tall. Balconies two yards wide and stacked two high line the two long sides of the room, with stone railings on them, and 18 inch stone columns holding them up.

Exits: Each end of the room has a standard wooden door (DR 2, HP 29) that isn't locked. Each balcony has three standard wooden doors (DR 2, HP 29), spaced evenly along its length. Yes, this room has 14 doors.

Columns: The columns can be climbed at -2. Actually, a lot of movement options make sense in this room, including Leg-up, Pull-Up, and Running Climb.

Monsters: The room contains 10 "Black Servitors", who are on the balconies. Black servitors appear generally humanoid, but are made of some strange rubbery black substance, and have small uniform round holes where their mouths and eyes should be. They speak to each other in an unnerving, whistling version of the elder tongue.

Code:
ST 12     HP 12         Speed 6.0
DX 11     Will 10       Move 6
IQ 8     Per 10        
HT 12     FP 12         SM +0

Dodge 7    Parry 9    DR 2

Thrown 14lb Rock (13): 1d crushing, 6 yard range. -2 to attack and defend if thrown from above, and +1 damage. Takes a ready manuever to pick up.
Club (12) : 1d6+3 crushing

Skills: throwing -13, Broadsword -12, Brawling -12, stealth -12

Traits: Magic resistance 4, Doesn't breath, eat, drink or sleep, 
 immune to metabolic hazards, Injury tolerance (Homogenous, No Eyes), Clinging, No bite, Darkvision

Class: Elder Thing
Black servitors will not negotiate, but they are smart enough to run away and to throw rocks from heights onto their foes. They have clinging, so moving away from foes in this very vertical environment is pretty easy.

Treasure: $1000 of void stone can be found among the rubble on the higher balconies: $200 on each of the middle balconies and $300 on each of the top. Its loose. Each $100 weighs .25lbs, and it can be identified with Prospecting, Hidden Lore (Elder things), Alchemy, or Thaumatology roll, or Occultism-5. The clubs are also worth $100, all told, and weigh 30 lbs.

Last edited by ericthered; 02-22-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:24 AM   #85
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Feb 23 etr

Description: A round natural cavern roughly 30 yards across. In the center is a small spring that feeds a brook running out of the cavern. The only artificial structure is a stone doorway two yards away from the wall mounting a red portal. The room is full of vines growing Gourds, Melons, and Cucumbers. The whole place is lit with a glow that seems to just come from the air, and the plants seem to quiver with energy.

The Garden: The Plants in the garden grow at a fantastic rate, finishing a crop every 10 minutes. They will decay after 30 minutes A Thaumotology or Naturalist roll will indicate that the food is safe to eat.

Mana: Very High Mana

Vision: -1 (the whole place glows)
Hearing: -3 (Babbling brook)

Monsters: There is an especially high chance of a wandering monster being here. A table for Wandering monsters in the garden complex is pending.

Exits: The Portal connects to Feb 16's Red Portal. When traveled through, the amulets from Mar 8 will be transported back to that room. A small natural tunnel follows the brook out of the room at a right angle left of the portal, a passage opposite the portal leads into a small chamber, and a larger dry natural tunnel leaves forward and to the right of the tunnel.

Last edited by ericthered; 03-22-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:11 AM   #86
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Feb 24 etr

Description: A small passage carved out by the flow of water from the sprint in Feb 23. It is 2 yards across, two yards tall, and while the water is only about two inches deep, thick moss makes it bad footing. The passage extends for about 40 yards.

Exits: Three small tunnels off the side, the beginning and end of the passage, and a large tunnel coming in 20 yards through the passage.

Monsters: 11 lizards one yard long each with colorful patterns cling to the walls of the passage. They are aggressive and will defend against opponents long enough to flick them with their venomous tongues before running away.

Code:
ST 4     HP 4         Speed 6.5
DX 13     Will 13       Move 6
IQ 3     Per 11        
HT 12     FP 12         SM -4

Dodge 7    Parry NA    DR 1

Bite (15): 1 point crushing
Venoumous Tongue (13): 1 point pi plus venom, -1 to defend, an addtional -1 if not aware of toungue reach, reach 2 yards. 

Skills: Brawling -15, stealth -13, intimidation -13, 

Traits: Wild Animal, Quadraped, Clinging, Night vision 5, 

Mana Dependency (See notes)

Class: Mutant Animal
Mana dependency: 1 HP per 10 minutes after 1 hour out of Very High Mana Zone
Venom: All venom can be resisted with a HT-2 roll. The effect lasts for MoF minutes. Each lizard has its own venom and its own effect. These are: Agony, Ecstacy, Blindness, Paralysis, Glowing with Daylight, Unconsciousness, Hallucinating, Dread (Lizards), Levitation (ST 12 to not float away), Delusion (everyone is my enemy), and 2d6 toxic.

Treasure: 12 Manastones are found through the passage, These act like Paut: a wizard can absorb them by concentration to restore 4 energy. They can be identified with a prospecting or Thuamatology roll. They are worth $1620 and weight 6 lbs.

Hearing: -3 (Babbling brook)

Last edited by ericthered; 02-27-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:19 AM   #87
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Feb 27 etr

Description: A 5 yard by 5 yard glowing chamber full of Berry bushes, that go through the cycle of the year every hour.

Monsters: A Bear and her two cubs live in this room. Stat the cubs as giant rats with speed 6, Per 10, Will 10, no night vision, and discriminatory smell, and the mother as a "Cave Bear" with +2 DR and resistant to toxins +3. The Bear and Cubs wander, have a 50% chance of not being here, and won't be here if defeated elsewhere.

Treasure: The cave bear pelt is $200 and weighs 30 lbs, with a successful survival roll. A prospecting, alchemy, or Thaumatology roll will identify 3lbs ($1500) of banestone: a potent ingredient in potions used to fight magical effects.

Exits: a single natural entrance leading to Feb 23.

Last edited by ericthered; 03-22-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:52 AM   #88
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Feb 28 etr

Description: a 5 yard by 10 yard room, with holes for dropping rocks down the center of the room. Stacks of 20lb rocks are scattered throughout.

Monsters: 24 skeletons armed with longbows and maces, plus their captain Hanry Deathborne, The undead remnant of one Hanry Skyborne, clothed from head to toe in plate and wielding a spectacular great sword.

Code:
ST 16     HP 14         Speed 7
DX 14     Will 14       Move 6
IQ 12     Per 12        
HT 13     FP NA         SM 0

Dodge 10    Parry 15    DR 8

Greatsword (14): 2d6+9 cut or 1d6+7 imp, -4 to defend
LongBow (15): 1d6+4
Knife (14): 2d6+1 cu or 1d6+2 imp
Punch (13): 1d6+2 (-1 to defenses) 
Kick (13): 1d6+4

Skills: Brawling -15, Fast-Draw (arrow)-15, Fast-draw (sword)-15,
 Two Handed Sword -21,Leadership-13, Tactics-12, 
 Saviore-faire -14, Carousing -15

Traits: Appearance (Monstrous); Automaton; Brittle; Cannot Float; 
Cannot Learn; Dependency (Loses 1 HP/min in no-mana areas); 
Doesn’t Breathe; Doesn’t Eat or Drink;Doesn’t Sleep; 
High Pain Threshold; Immunity to Disease; Immunity to Mind Control; 
Immunity to Poison; Indomitable; Mute; No Blood; No Brain; 
No Eyes; No Sense ofSmell/Taste; No Vitals; Reprogrammable; 
Skinny; Temperature Tolerance 5 (Cold); Temperature Tolerance 5 (Heat); 
Unhealing (Total); Unliving; 
Combat Reflexes, Weapon Master (two-handed sword), Extra Attack

Class: Undead
Deathborn will make take every opportunity to tell the players who he is ("You are no match for the mighty Deathborn!"), and will have bravado to shout each turn. His heraldry is still intact, though altered to put skulls in place of all the eagles. The Frooglings (Feb 6) will immediately identify him as "Hanry Skyborn", and say he was an adventuring companion with their beloved Dylan Ferlak. Heraldry can also identify him, as can a variety of methods in town. He will mock any refernce to his former life "I've put that behind me! This is so much more fun!" "Wouldn't you like to know!" "His horrible, horrible, delightful fate... shall I ask him about it!" "Tell my mother I'm living my best life yet!". Deathborne will die before (knowingly) revealing any information, and he won't surrender, though he might run.

Entrance: A heavy IronBound door (15 DR, 39 HP) with an arrow slit on each side for shooting out. In the back of the room is a average wooden door. Of course, this room is directly above Feb 20, connected by the murder holes.

Treasure: 25 longbows ($5,000, 75 lbs), 500 arrows ($1,000, 50 lbs), 24 maces ($1200, 120 lbs), Fine Balanced Greatsword ($7200, 7 lbs), full suit of plate ($7500, 60 lbs), Long Knife ($120, 1.5 lbs). Hanry's body is worth $2,000 if Identified and brought back to his family in ressurectable shape, and $1,000 if not.

Last edited by ericthered; 02-28-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:18 PM   #89
prospero

Thanks much for all the work you've put into this! It's appreciated.
prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:43 AM   #90
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Mar 1 etr

Description: a 7 yard by 12 yard room, with two levels: a 3 yard by 8 yard passage is 8 feet below the rest of the room, with a half-yard parapet around it. A ladder rests at the end of the passage, connecting the two levels. It can be moved. Climbing without it is at -3.

Exits: The passage has a door, connecting to Feb 20 (wooden vault door (DR 12, 54 HP)). Above this door is another door connecting to Feb 28 (A heavy IronBound door (15 DR, 39 HP) with an arrow slit on each side out). Opposite the door to Feb 28 is another heavy Ironbound door (15 DR, 39 HP). It is locked with a -4 to pick Heavy (DR 9 HP 18) lock.

Monsters: Deathborne and the skeletons from Feb28 also defend this room. Typically, Deathborne defends the ladder, while the skeletons shoot arrow and throw rocks from above. This is typically done after the party has forced their way though Feb20, and the monsters will fall back to Feb28 if the players make their way to the second level and deathborne is still giving orders.

Tags
#dungeon23, challenge, megadungeon