Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Corco's Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I'm going to have to juggle some things and raise his physical stats if he can't use his shapeshifting to add to his DX and HT.

I feel like there are mixed messages a bit with the statement that I could add agility before...

Are you indicating that the non-ST attribute modifiers are to be removed from templates and can't be added?

There is a little bit of mixed messages in there, I'll grant you. I'm sorry about that. I'll try to clear it up here:

Yes, non-ST attribute modifiers are to be removed from templates and can't be added. You keep your raised base attributes in these cases.

As an exception to this, especially low-powered and mundane templates may see small stat increases, such as small nimble animals, human acrobats, or robust solid objects.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #42
the_matrix_walker

I'll see what I can figure out... maybe I'll just leave it. Do you think the skill of 14 is just silly low for this? It seems like it, but the techniques will help, so I'm not sure.

I was counting on at least the Moster Hunters Inhuman template stat increases, so I'm pretty far outside my original expectation here... Any advice?
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #43
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I'll see what I can figure out... maybe I'll just leave it. Do you think the skill of 14 is just silly low for this? It seems like it, but the techniques will help, so I'm not sure.

I was counting on at least the Moster Hunters Inhuman template stat increases, so I'm pretty far outside my original expectation here... Any advice?

Its low, but its not silly low, and you have four wild card points, which people like to tell me matter.

You may be able to get some points out of your IQ -wild cards, either by dropping some down to [6], or by combining them: I feel that at least one is redundant with the others. Is there a notable difference between hunter! and occult!?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #44
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its low, but its not silly low, and you have four wild card points, which people like to tell me matter.

You may be able to get some points out of your IQ -wild cards, either by dropping some down to [6], or by combining them: I feel that at least one is redundant with the others. Is there a notable difference between hunter! and occult!?
The Wildcard Points are a good point of order... They can be quite useful. The refresh rate may lessen that somewhat on a play-by-post when compared to a real-time game where you get them all back every session (unlike destiny, with a refresh rate of 1 per session). Are you doing the "Game Time" conversion of a play session being the equivalent to a game week? (I always thought that conversion was far too conservative. Playing in person has never generated a situation where Game-Time would even come close to real-time usage in my experience.)

I have considered lowering the IQ based wildcards, but I do like the Wildcard points and I hate to see them on a sheet with less than 12 points. Hopefully, I'll figure out any changes tonight before I have to make a roll for anything.

There is no overlap with those two Wildcards... Hunter! is outdoorsy, and Occult! is similar to Lore!

Spoiler:  

If I am building my weapons out of natural or innate attacks, will Karate and throwing art cover everything, or will I still need to take weapon skills or adaptations for things with similar reach?

If we want him to have real weapons, I found Rev.PKs rules for increasing the ST/Weight of weapons to adjust their ST value, so that's not a big concern if I can use those rules.

Do you have Power-Ups 7: Wildcards? Are we using any "Other Bonuses" for style Wildcards?
Old 06-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #45
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
The Wildcard Points are a good point of order... They can be quite useful. The refresh rate may lessen that somewhat on a play-by-post when compared to a real-time game where you get them all back every session (unlike destiny, with a refresh rate of 1 per session). Are you doing the "Game Time" conversion of a play session being the equivalent to a game week? (I always thought that conversion was far too conservative. Playing in person has never generated a situation where Game-Time would even come close to real-time usage in my experience.)

In dreadstormers I'm using a baseline of 30 posts being an hours worth of play. I beginning to suspect that the number should be something more akin to 10 posts * (number of posters). "session" is a less objective measure, but I've seen posts saying the "predicted" session is four hours, so we can use that.

Quote:
There is no overlap with those two Wildcards... Hunter! is outdoorsy, and Occult! is similar to Lore!
My bad. I saw hunter and thought "Monster Hunter".

Quote:
If I am building my weapons out of natural or innate attacks, will Karate and throwing art cover everything, or will I still need to take weapon skills or adaptations for things with similar reach?
It should cover everything.

Quote:
Do you have Power-Ups 7: Wildcards? Are we using any "Other Bonuses" for style Wildcards?
I have it. Those bonuses look fine.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #46
the_matrix_walker

FYI, I am camping from tomorrow to Monday, so I am unlikely to post after today until Tuesday.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #47
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
FYI, I am camping from tomorrow to Monday, so I am unlikely to post after today until Tuesday.

Thank you for letting me know. Enjoy your camping!

Old 06-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #48
the_matrix_walker

Packin' up to hit the trail!

I made some updates and copied the character to post 22.

Not sure if it's final, but I'm headed out and wanted to throw something up. I'm still considering dropping Combat Reflexes on the base form, for a few more skill points (or dropping something with it for more DX and/or HT) since I think that is something you'll let me freely add with shapeshifting.

Have a great weekend!
Old 06-18-2021, 08:47 AM   #49
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

What are we waiting on? both of you are posting in other games. What can I do to move things along? Or are you still thinking?

Old 06-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #50
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
What are we waiting on? both of you are posting in other games. What can I do to move things along? Or are you still thinking?
Well I was waiting on the_matrix_walker to respond to what he thinks of the "split-up" plan, or if we ought to try a "both infilitrate" or "both show up as envoys" plan. Or come up with something I haven't thought of.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote