Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-22-2023, 08:06 AM   #681
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Alright, how many targets? At what distance, what is behind us? Can you share the specs of our weapons? And where are the other 14 men?
Pacifica can't tell how many targets. At least 10.

Behind Pacifica is 3 yards of hallway, followed by the hydrogen brick container grid pattern that covers much of the ship. two knots of allies are attacking a door about 4 yards to your left and right, but hydrogen brick containers are between you and them. Each of those knots have four soldiers (yes, she is being counted as worth two men or more). The remaining soldiers are making sure the remaining doors aren't opened and used to flank the attack team, or are being used as a reserve if a squad runs into trouble.

Pacifica's teammates are armed with laser riffles, helmets, and body armor. Stats were listed back here. Pacifica disguised herself as a member of security a while back, so she has the same gear.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:16 PM   #682
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pacifica can't tell how many targets. At least 10 (...)
Alright, so Pacifica is behind an hydrogen block with two allies, at least 10 people approaching... what distance?
Old 03-25-2023, 06:34 PM   #683
Hide

This depends on the distance from the enemies, but here are some things I would like Pacifica to do:

Use her ESP to check for enemies and their weapons, make sure there are no guns in enemy hands.

Take cover, brace and aim with her gun. The others should do the same, they would be shooting at the others depending on how far they are, and also depending on their weapons.

I am concerned about “surprise” attacks from behind or the sides, so the cover should provide protection against these.

What do you think/say?
Old 03-27-2023, 06:06 PM   #684
Hide

Quote:
Someone needs to open the door... is that pacifica
If Pacifica opens the door, is she going to find cover later? Is she going to struggle against somebody trying to push the door back?
Old 03-28-2023, 08:33 AM   #685
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
If Pacifica opens the door, is she going to find cover later?
Only if she want to hide behind the iron door she just opened.

Quote:
Is she going to struggle against somebody trying to push the door back?
From what her ESP senses, no.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-28-2023, 10:19 AM   #686
Hide

OK, I am preparing my actions.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:48 AM   #687
Hide

Erick I am about to post, what are the SL of my allies for shooting, melee, dodge and parry?

Also, please tell me what the melee skills are.

Thanks a lot!
Old 03-30-2023, 10:06 AM   #688
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Erick I am about to post, what are the SL of my allies for shooting, melee, dodge and parry?

Also, please tell me what the melee skills are.

Thanks a lot!
You don't have any way to know those.

Security members will have "professional" level shooting, from 12-14. They have light (11-13) training in physical combat as well. The improvised weapons of the enemy will be a combination of brawling, raw DX, and throwing, in the 9-12 skill range.

The "average" human has a dodge of 8.

Old 04-06-2023, 01:18 AM   #689
Hide

Hey there friend, it is OK if you want to make the rolls.
Just let me know what you do before you post, this is the final battle after all.

You see, I am sort of confused here.

An 8 to hit is very low, especially if you said there was a SL between 12 and 14.

Since Pacifica and the others know what’s ahead, the team prepared the attack beforehand. The only penalty for this maneuver should have been the distance. I assumed 3 yards, but you actually said it was 2 yards and that is a penally of 0; so, the base SL is 14, worst case. If you say 1 round of shooting is good, then that’s fine.

Maybe you wanted to make this maneuver gritty, did you disregard “Pacifica’s cinematic “X-RAY” vision plus teamwork” and factored visibility penalties in?

Can you please explain your idea of bracing immediately? Since you said we could’ve braced immediately I assumed there was cover ahead (I even mentioned that S1 shoots from cover).

Entering the combat zone and taking the step for bracing/cover (as understood from being "immediate"), the distance becomes 1 yard, and since we know the location of the enemy that makes it -4 for visibility. Assuming SL 12, bracing and shooting 5 beams makes the SL 12+2-4 = 10. Applying the “handicap” the skill is 9, not 8.

So, we should have "suppressed" more people.

Also, what are the big objects? That should’ve been obvious and fairly easy to spot with Pacifica’s scan.

On the other hand, the enemies should have been in the same situation as us, with a SL of 9 or 12 for throwing, but with a penalty of -6 to hit (because they can’t see us like we do) plus the penalties of using improvised weapons. Anyway, even with a -4 and the highest SL (12) they should have missed us (8 to hit, without factoring the use of improvised weapons).

Could you please check/adjust the results?

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-06-2023, 07:44 AM   #690
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
You see, I am sort of confused here.

An 8 to hit is very low, especially if you said there was a SL between 12 and 14.
suppression fire has its very own rules, including a cap on the attack roll of 6+rapid fire bonus. See campaigns page 410. Visibility here is great.

Quote:
Can you please explain your idea of bracing immediately? Since you said we could’ve braced immediately I assumed there was cover ahead (I even mentioned that S1 shoots from cover).
Let me get a picture. You're taking cover behind corners, not objects in the hall.

Quote:
Also, what are the big objects? That should’ve been obvious and fairly easy to spot with Pacifica’s scan.
The ones thrown? Lets see... there is an oversized wrench, and what seems to be a 10mm steel plate 12 cm across with bolt holes in it. The steel plate is the one on target.