Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Trachmyr

Default Society & Economics of my Space Campaign.

A recent thread about starship economics has led me to give further consideration to the economics in my own space campaign… the economics that would result from the society that exists within that setting. One thing in particular is the factories listed in ultra-tech, and how I would have to rework it.

Before I give my altered factory write-up, I need to give you a bit of information on my setting to help explain things. Plus if you see any issues, or have any suggestions for the social side of things, I would much appreciate it.
  • TL10 (near TL11 for fusion Technology) Hardscience Campaign
  • Timekeeping: 1 Standard Day = 30 hours; 6 Days = 1 Week; 4 Weeks = 1 Month; 4 Months = 1 Cycle (a year for the innermost planet, which works out to 120 Earth-Days, or 1/3rd a Earth-Year).
  • There are three colonized worlds in 1:2:4 resonance around the K2V star at Epsilon Eridani: Altea (0.451 AU) is a tropical ocean world with a breathable atmosphere due to 2000 cycles of terraforming, Cania (0.716 AU) is a large world with a dense Helium atmosphere exploited heavily for He3 & D, Mesa (1.136 AU) is a cold hostile cross of Tatooine & Mars.
  • More important than the planets are the hundreds of colonies that exist in the Eridani Belt between 1.864 & 2.62AU, and the Lagrange Trojans at the Inner Gas Giants orbit at 3.433AU. Most colonies lie in “Neighborhoods” of dozens of colonies (& even for mining/refining sites). The most important colony is the Ceres-Sized Asteroid Babylon at 2.62 AU, the most populated colony and the home of the Eridani Futures Commission (EFC), the equivalent of the Government of the system.
  • While there are some colonies in the Outer Belt at about 19 AU, these are isolated and generally cut-off from Eridani Society and Economics.
  • People are prosperous, the average monthly income is $6,400... But unless your fresh out of a clone tank, or have had serious behavior/job issues, you can expect to be Comfortable earning double this amount. While Cost of Living is higher than average on colonies (+1 Status level), the overall effect is a high average of wealth.
  • Most wealth is NOT spent on physical possessions, as every citizen is implanted with a VR-Capable computer before “birth”, and the entire society is an augmented reality with a lot of VR facilities (commercial, entertainment, social, etc. is mostly VR). Digital assets are also quite inexpensive or free, unless an actual service is being provided. When goods are purchased, it tends to be high-tech and expensive, often versatile in function (such as a single garment that can alter cut, style, pattern & color to make numerous garments… but can also function as a Mechanical Counter-Pressure Suit and body armor.
  • The EFC rules primarily through economic regulations, and is a beneficial government due to it’s original conception, and it’s maintenance by an AI who still holds true to the original ideals. The EFC make money through monopoly control over key industries (power, ship-construction, cloning (which has almost completely replaced natural reproduction), most R&D, colony founding, construction of Telepresence Fabricators, etc.) rather than taxation.
  • Many components of capitalist societies are against the EFC’s “Fair Economics Policies”… this includes corporations, joint ownership, stock, interest, banking, etc. The EFC is responsible for setting prices that merchants/miners/shippers must adhere to within 20% unless they are granted an exemption for a real reason (i.e, an increase in shipping fees to a distant colony off normal shipping routes)
  • Failure to follow EFC rules reduces your “Standing” (Rank levels in GURPS terms), which can incur fines, probation (during which you face economic restrictions and are monitored), or even disbarment from the EFC (everyone by default is part of the EFC)… which for one means that you can’t step foot on over 90% of the colonies out there.
  • The EFC also manages Criminal Law, but puts a heavy weight on Personal Freedom and required Tolerance by the individual. Hostile actions or actions that are “detrimental to a reasonably tolerant Individual” can be punished with monetary reimbursement, fines, probation, disbarment, or psychological modification. However, Privacy simply does not exist… and there are zero rights that entitle individuals to privacy. The EFC will directly interdict in matters of Slavery (including Economic Slavery), distribution of banned technology (Non-contained Nanomachines, nuclear arms, antimatter, EMP and microwave devices, biological weapons), shipping-lane piracy (although piracy remains a lucrative business) and any attack upon the data networks. The EFC oversees the Civilian Guard and Civilian Patrol for these matters, plus operates a small private security force as well.
  • Social services run by the EFC are readily available and effective, especially on more established colonies. Psychological Wellness, Job Training and Employment are the most emphasized. Also be aware that individuals are “born“ with over 100 points in skills from Deep Learning, thus they are well-trained for several professions that earlier psychological evaluations in VR while in a growth tank have matched them to.
  • Humans no longer exist… all individuals usually one of a half-dozen racial templates that feature genetic modifications for Pantropy… both physically and psychologically. There are no Forced Growth Tanks, but all current Racial Templates have the feature “Early Maturation 2 (Limitation: Requires Growth Tank)”
  • There does exist several colonies that do not adhere to EFC guidelines, and are not EFC members…. Many of these are havens for pirates and smugglers. They continue to exist because the EFC does not possess an actual Navy or Army. Even many EFC colonies are far more “Rough and Tumble“… or possess a more self-sufficient frontier personality. This is particularly true on mining and refining sites that are not slated to be permanent colonies.
  • AI’s exist, but they require very complex and expensive computers to operate (A Minimum of a Quantum Neural Nets Macroframe), and since people are all implanted with computers, Human Labor (usually through Telepresence) is used unless an AI is actually required. AI are also treated as free citizens (& usually have Social Regard), and are more likely to be judged by what neighborhood of colonies they “grew-up” in than the fact that they are an AI. AI’s in return tend to be facianted and strangely addicted to human society and socialization… Human/AI romantic relationships are more common than AI/AI ones.
  • All of the planets diverge from normal EFC society, Altea has it’s own government and much tension lies between it and the EFC. Cania is completely and strictly controlled by the EFC, who marks Cania as a strategic resource. Massive orbital batteries will shoot down anyone who approaches to close without proper clearance. Mesa is the butt-hole of the system, and actively rejects EFC rule and tech that encroaches upon privacy. The EFC couldn’t care less about this barren little rock.

---------------------------------------

The Factory Write-Up is in the Next Post

OK… that’s a kind of capsule view of the social & economic background. So I’m asking what do people think? Does anyone see glaring problems that I’m overlooking? Does the economic set-up seem feasible? Does anyone see social or economic changes that should result that I did not cover at all? Are there any “big holes” in the info that I should cover or create?

I thank you for your time in looking this over… and I don‘t blame you if you skimmed through it,
-Trachmyr
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
Trachmyr

Default Re: Society & Economics of my Space Campaign.

Here is the reworked Factory… the Telepresence Fabricator:

• Telepresence Fabricators produce $100 per hour per 1,000 pounds of weight. Telepresence Fabricators are not rated for pounds per hour, and can produce any kind of gadget up to one-half of the factories own weight, or any microtech gadget without a reduction in efficiency. Edit: Telepresence Fabricators cost $500,000 per 1,000 pounds of weight.
  • They can run continuously for 80 hours, but then automatically halt production for 10 Hours to perform automated maintenance. Telepresence Fabricators include Non-Volitional AI software in all machinery, with a Machinist Skill of 16 if using Prepackaged Parts/Cartridges, or 14 if using Raw Material. The Factory also gives a +5 bonus to the Machinist Skill of all Telepresence Operators. Minifacs versions (under 1,000 pounds) can only operate autonomously using Parts/Cartridges at a Machinist skill of 14.
  • Raw Materials cost 30% of the item’s final price, this can be broken down to 20% labor costs, 5% profit by the operation, and 5% shipping fee. Prepackaged Parts and Print Cartridges are always available at a Bulk price of 80% of the final item’s cost plus a 5% shipping fee.
  • If working with parts/cartridges, the factory runs autonomously, and requires no additional labor costs. If working with raw materials production time is only 1/8th normal if running autonomously, or ½ speed if using Telepresence Operators to produce finished goods. It operates at full speed if manufacturing Cartridges/Parts or Bulk product runs due to less time being required for the factory to autonomously reconfigure itself to for different products.
  • Labor for Telepresence Operators equals 40% of the item’s final price, employing one Machinists per 1,000 pounds of fabricator weight (or twice as many if making Prepackaged Parts or Bulk goods).
  • Items produced are sold for 80% of the final price if Parts/Cartridges or Bulk items. This becomes 90% if direct manufacturing without using Parts/Cartridges. Retail sale using Parts/Cartridges is at 95% final price. The consumer usually pays an additional 5% for shipping unless the item is purchased locally. However shipping can be much higher in colonies located at great distances from typical shipping locations.
  • This typically allows a factory to make a profit of 10% of the final price of merchandise produced, although this can rise to 15% or higher under beneficial circumstances.
  • Factory Owners in Good Standing with the EFC do not have to pay Rent or Utilities, as these costs are covered by the EFC (as this helps further the economic stability of the colony).
  • Purchase of a factory requires 10% to 40% down, and generally requires repayment in 32 Cycles (just under 11 Earth-Years), although payment must match or exceed depreciation. Interest is not charged (that would be illegal by EFC laws), although the actual cost of the Factory and required down-payment depends on your EFC Standing.

Last edited by Trachmyr; 05-27-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to list the Cost of the Fabricators ($500K per 1K pounds)
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economics, factory, society, space, ultra-tech