Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2023, 12:06 AM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: Reality testing firearm rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
As usual I am confused by your math. I even missed wherever you defined "K".
It's an unspecified constant (i.e. it's probably not zero, but there's no special theoretical basis for knowing what it is).
Old 03-19-2023, 01:07 PM   #22
oma

While I rarely shoot long arms I use my sidearm frequently at the range. Shooting at a range is light years easier than in a high stress situation, especially without training.

The times I have been shot at, they were all untrained "badasses", who liked to carry guns but are not trained. They didnt even come close to hitting me because they were pumped on adrenaline as they assumed I would shoot back.

I would give massive bonuses to a gurps player doing target practice. In a game i wouldnt even have them roll unless it was a direct contest that has story importance. If they have at least one point in guns then range shooting is whatever they want it to be, as long as it fits the story.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:46 PM   #23
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
I would give massive bonuses to a gurps player doing target practice. In a game i wouldnt even have them roll unless it was a direct contest that has story importance. If they have at least one point in guns then range shooting is whatever they want it to be, as long as it fits the story.
Competitive shooting at a range would be a skill contest or series of them using Guns Sport (and thus Guns -3 if you're using a 'real' Guns skill).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:41 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
I wish the rules were written in the other direction, have skill reflect what a skilled shooter should accomplish under trivial conditions and give us a pile of penalties to toss on for combat conditions. I tire of trying to remember all the 'trivial' conditions bonuses to make plinking fit into the GURPS rules.
Why would you want the default condition to be the one that never actually happens in actual play and the unusual condition to be the one that always happens?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:07 PM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why would you want the default condition to be the one that never actually happens in actual play and the unusual condition to be the one that always happens?
Comprehensibility. You can explain range shooting precisely even to non-shooters but real combat is this confused and jumbled up thing that many people will ahve no context to understand and other people won't be sure that your assumptions are the same as their assumptions.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:28 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

"Melee weapon skills assume a life or death fight, but ranged weapon skills assume an easy day of shooting on a 21st century brightly lit indoor range with electronic targets" seems more likely to be confusing than comprehensible.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:41 PM   #27
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
"Melee weapon skills assume a life or death fight, but ranged weapon skills assume an easy day of shooting on a 21st century brightly lit indoor range with electronic targets" seems more likely to be confusing than comprehensible.
Then you explain what the effects of that life or death fight are on the user's ability to hit his target and why it's so much harder than target shooting.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:23 AM   #28
Anthony

I would note that melee weapon difficulty vs unmoving targets is exactly the same problem as ranged weapons. If an untrained person picks up an axe (default DX-5) and tries to hit a pumpkin (SM around -3) in reality they're going to hit more often than not.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:52 PM   #29
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would note that melee weapon difficulty vs unmoving targets is exactly the same problem as ranged weapons. If an untrained person picks up an axe (default DX-5) and tries to hit a pumpkin (SM around -3) in reality they're going to hit more often than not.
All-out Attack +4 and Telegraphed blow +4 for +8 to hit covers that. Even AoA + Evaluate for a total of +7 mostly does. Thus the problem might almost be that melee doesn't need a whole pile of positive modifiers for nice working conditions, yet surely should have them as well, but if you include them untrained melee attacks are possibly too easy.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:04 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Stress affects melee about equally, especially if you include situational awareness. Lighting effects ranged more. Wind is mostly irrelevant to melee, unless it's so severe that standing is difficult, but even small variations affect firearms. Known range and sight adjustments obviously only is relevant for ranged weapons.