Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #1
Onkl

Default [Basic] Limitation for Mind Control

Hi guys

Could you please help me to put a cost on a mind control limitation.

It's for a Warhammer 40'000 game, where I try to model some Librarian (Psyker) Powers. I use the power modifier from DF:14 for my Psykers.

The ability I am trying to create is called

"Shackle Soul" (And is stolen right out of FFGs Deathwatch RPG, p. 196)

Reaching into the soul of his foe, the Librarian binds it in powerful bands of psychic energy. This power affects a single creature chosen by the Librarian. The Blood Angel may choose to prevent those affected by the power from doing one of the following things on its next turn: moving, making a range attack, making a melee attack or using a Psychic Power. If this power is sustained then the Librarian must win an Opposed Willpower Test each turn to affect the target, though he may choose a different action to prohibit from Round to Round.

So this is:

Mind Control (PM: Psyker, -10%; Only to forbid one of: Move, Move & Attack, Attack, Ranged Attack, Concentrate (To use Psyker Ability), -20%; Sustained hinderance required another Quickcontest, -10%)

As you can see I've priced the limitations

Only to forbid one of: Move, Move & Attack, Attack, Ranged Attack, Concentrate (To use Psyker Ability)

at -20%

and

Sustained hinderance required another Quickcontest

at -10%

How would you write it up?
How would you price it?

Any and all tips are welcome

Thanks!

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: [Basic] Limitation for Mind Control

Gosh, a Terminal Condition that's commonly known is worth -20%, so my guess is that allowing another roll to end the Mind Control every round is worth at least 25%.

Other than that, it looks good to me. You can forbid most maneuvers, but no matter what you forbid the target can do something, so -20% seems right.

Remember, you'll want to add an enhancement if you want to avoid the range penalties (which use the SSR table). You'll also need an enhancement if you want to ignore the 24-hour immunity from a successful resistance, which, IIRC, isn't really a feature in 40K.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Remember, you'll want to add an enhancement if you want to avoid the range penalties (which use the SSR table). You'll also need an enhancement if you want to ignore the 24-hour immunity from a successful resistance, which, IIRC, isn't really a feature in 40K.
Right you are! Thanks!

Ok, I'll have to check my books on how to do that though, haven't got the slightest clue...
Old 08-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Onkl

Although, since we don't have the 24 hour limitation, having to roll again every turn could just equal out?

So it's:

Mind Control (PM, -10%; Only to limit maneuvers, -20%; No 24 hour penalty but sustained requires another QC, +0%)

Which comes down to 35 points.

Last edited by Onkl; 08-14-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
jason taylor

Maybe a psi attack would be from the point of view of the victim rather like a narcotic that lowers inhibitions and makes him more responsive to the attacker's suggestions?

Tags
basic, limitation, mind control