Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2023, 03:52 AM   #91
deanjday

Default Re: The World of Solem

THE RECKONING

Historical Event

Type - Disaster / Destruction

The Reckoning is named for when the Demon Lord Azor eventually broke through from the Beyond into Solem. All hell broke loose as Horrors and Shadowspawn of all types invaded from the other dimension. The free peoples of the world were slaughtered on mass in the first years after the Reckoning occurred until they were able to build Kaer's and strongholds underground with the Dwarfs help to escape from the Horrors above.

Behind the Curtain
I want my setting to have some logical reasons for dungeons being so common (I want a lot in the setting) so taking a complete page from the Earthdawn setting we have back in the past the Dark One breaking through into Solem from his dimension and lots of nasty stuff happening after.
deanjday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:01 AM   #92
deanjday

The Sage Learners
The Sage Learners are a group of learned men and sages based on the Island of Jrusteli in the city of Knowledge. They are said to practice many "modern" disciplines of knowledge said to be called "Sciences". They are also said to be allied to or have been influenced by the Gnomes and are said to be capable of producing gunpowder weaponry and ships with the power of flight and other strange "Gizmos"

The truth of all these rumors is hard to say as they are a very secretive order and guard their knowledge greedily. They are said to have other alliances with many other wise races such as the Elves, Dwarves and Goliaths and have many secret pacts with many kingdoms and countries around Solem.

The city of Knowledge is their strong hold and the city has grown strong and vibrant because of the Sage Learners presence. Many of the common people of Solem fear their weird lore and call them "scientists" behind their back, a term almost seen to be the definition of dangerous madness.

Behind the Curtain
A slight spin on Glorantha's God Learners, I want a Human organisation that is semi responsible for higher technology in parts of the setting. I was never a fan of fantasy punk or mixed tech levels in fantasy gaming, but I have been converted by Shadow of the Demon Lord and its Clockwork's, Air Ships and other tech like guns.
I am also going to use the tech to be a real point of difference between the Stone Dwarves and Gnomes when I create them with the Dwarves in the setting being more magical than normal and the Gnomes really embracing the tinker/inventor archetype.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:44 PM   #93
deanjday

I am going to have Centaurs as one of my races in the campaign world, has anyone got any ideas of how to give them a bit of a spin to be a bit unique and different to how they are portrayed mechanics and flavor wise?