Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #21
Maximum7

Default Re: Physics. (Very LAST thread). I promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I mean the opposite of hyperspace, a time-space continuum which slows you down instead of speeding you up.

In Star Wars you have no ability to change course once you jump. You are committed to your destination. You can't turn.
Idk why anybody would want access to that dimension but thanks for the brainstorming!!!
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #22
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
Idk why anybody would want access to that dimension
For SCIENCE!

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #23
Anaraxes

Quote:
Idk why anybody would want access to that dimension
Depends on what effects this subspace has, other than just slow translation in the normal space analog. Maybe it's not for travel. It could be useful (for instance) to drop into this subspace if you have life support problems, and want to stall until rescue arrives. You won't have moved far from the rescue ship. Perhaps your fleet is expecting reinforcements, so they'd benefit from super slow mode until those ships arrive, when they pop back up to normal space. Cargo ships can carry perishable good further with a normal hyperdrive and slow hold space -- enjoy new exotic items from across the galaxy without the carbonite burn.

If time passes normally in subspace, but only movement is slow, then the military and police will enjoy using their new snare fields to nab fleeing rebels and smugglers. Similarly, it might make a nice defense if you could slow down incoming ship fire enough to be out of its way, stop those proton torpedoes, or even if you have a field with a generator the size of a small moon, just freeze enemy snub fighters in place so your laser towers can easily pick them off.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 07-11-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #24
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Depends on what effects this subspace has, other than just slow translation in the normal space analog. Maybe it's not for travel.
I'm sure somebody could figure out some benefit of putting part of a process on one side and part on the other (say, heat exchange, or nuclear decay). Those kids really failed to take advantage of the industrial potential of the portal to Narnia.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #25
Agemegos

In any case, that's an issue for engineers doing invention, not for scientists doing research. Scientists investigate phenomena for the reason that mountaineers climb mountains: people who don't climb mountains aren't mountaineers.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #26
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Time travel. Invisibility. Interplanetary teleportation. Immortality. Digital mind recording and overwriting for brain state backups and mind transference. Frictionless surfaces. Metamalganism. Superconduction of phonons (ergo, of heat). Transmutation of elements. The Langston field (black globe generator). Rishons. Stasis fields. Indestructible spaceship hulls. Regressing organisms to their evolutionary ancestors. Progressing organisms to their evolutionary descendants. Reversing aging. Implanting Force ghosts as minds in suitable bodies to resurrect dead Jedi. Startrekkish replicator technology. Startrekkish transporter technology. Helmgarth wake dynamics. Making sugar stick to baked goods. The endochronic properties of resublimated thiotimoline. Getting the blue tinge out of milk. Cinematic nanotechnology. Mobile telephones. A quicker way to model protein folding. Quantum cryptography. Synglossatic fibres for stunner-proof fashionware. Self-defrimming materials for turboencabulators that don't need such frequent maintenance. Exploiting the Velma effect to protect planets from magnetic field reversal. Parallel universes. Solid holograms like in Star Trek. Getting robots to replicate basic physics experiments so there won't be Force effects contaminating the results. Traversible wormholes. Non-orientable traversible wormholes. Pocket universes. White holes. Duodeciplatinate. Q-type helices. Memswear varicloth. Muonic matter. Stimulated emission from Bose-Einstein condensates in excited states. Monomolecular Penning traps for chelated-antimatter energy storage. Finding more special-case solutions to the restricted three-body problem. Creating the Borg. Turning into a being of pure energy.
I want to use synglossatic fibers because nothing comes up when you Google it but I want it to do something much more advanced then just protects against stun blasts. Any ideas besides temperature regulating and color changing? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #27
Agemegos

Quote:
I want to use synglossatic fibers because nothing comes up when you Google it but I want it to do something much more advanced then just protects against stun blasts. Any ideas besides temperature regulating and color changing? Thanks!
Well, synglossatic fibres could be what the strings in string theory are made of. But I prefer the idea that they are paramolecular nanotubules with an orthophilic group at one end and a hyperphilic group such as thiotimoline at the other. Properly excited, they will hyperrotate so that the hyperphilic group is in contact with hyperspace. Under the right circumstances they will self-organise into membranes like phospholipids self-organising into a micelle, and then you have a sheet of material that will tend to transport incident energy from one side into hyperspace. A the moment we only having it working for stunners, but obviously if we could make the nanotubules cyclostable under hydrotorque we could make a metafilm that blaster bolts and other energy weapon effects would pass through harmlessly to hyperspace. And of course the real prize, the killer application, would be using cyclostable synglossatic membranes as a heat sink.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 07-13-2019 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:34 AM   #28
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Well, synglossatic fibres could be what the strings in string theory are made of. But I prefer the idea that they are paramolecular nanotubules with an orthophilic group at one end and a hyperphilic group such as thiotimoline at the other. Properly excited, they will hyperrotate so that the hyperphilic group is in contact with hyperspace. Under the right circumstances they will self-organise into membranes like phospholipids self-organising into a micelle, and then you have a sheet of material that will tend to transport incident energy from one side into hyperspace. A the moment we only having it working for stunners, but obviously if we could make the nanotubules cyclostable under hydrotorque we could make a metafilm that blaster bolts and other energy weapon effects would pass through harmlessly to hyperspace. And of course the real prize, the killer application, would be using cyclostable synglossatic membranes as a heat sink.
Fantastic explanation. Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2019, 03:58 AM   #29
Agemegos

I speak fluent gibberish.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #30
Anaraxes

Most impressive indeed.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
physics, sci fi, science, science!, star wars