Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 10-16-2021, 06:28 AM   #61
swordtart

Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

The I recommend you spend many happy hours retconning the designs into something approaching legality.

You could have the vehicles described as per the publication appear as specials in an unscrupulous car lot with the price reflecting your retconned design. Only after purchase would the players realise that model had been recalled or had been retrofitted (to the legal version you have created).

They can't really complain as the car is worth exactly what they have been charged, it just might not quite match up to the advertising puff (just like when hard disks started to use the term K to mean 1000 bytes rather than the more accepted 1024).

I am pretty sure I have bought cars that have been subject to that particular plot device in real life :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #62
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
The I recommend you spend many happy hours retconning the designs into something approaching legality.
Huh -- I actually did this, as part of the events leading to me getting thrown out of NOVA.

Mike Garrity, the resident Omnicidal Maniac, had the idea of a "Corporate Challenge" between his "Death Knight Industries", and three of the car-makers in _VG3_. The idea was to illustrate what Utter Garbage _VG3_ vehicles were (as well as feeding his insatiable ego). The problem was: _VG3_ vehicles were all "illegal" (incorrectly-calculated costs, weights, and spaces; never mind howlers like the Lux with two Blast Cannons on one facing); so, as "referee" for the event, I had to silly-walk through the designs, and fix the errors.

Worse, I had to do it *twice* -- Garrity had chosen for the first go-'round Divisions 5, 60, and 100, which were (to put it politely) not exactly representative of the "common" Divisions. After the not-quite-massacre which resulted (DKI cars won only two of the fights, and no-score-draw-ed the Div. 5 >:) ), there was a "rematch" featuring better selections from the non-DKI side (seriously: Who would bring the _Platypus_ to a duel?), in the more-commonly-seen Divisions (5; 15; 25; 40; 60). End Result: 4-0-1 to the Non-DKI side.

This led to a series of "terrorist" attacks on DKI; the "terrorists" were actually representatives of a variety of other corporations who had grown tired of DKI's overwhelming arrogance. This culminated in the use of four 40' Van trailers filled with Plastique being detonated outside DKI HQ, followed by a horde of people finishing off anyone inside the HQ.

For whatever reasons (I have my suspicions...), none of this ever got through to Garrity; and this, plus some flagrant cheating by the rest of the group at the Club and Regional championships, made it clear I was no longer welcome. So, I walked. (No one has heard from NOVA since -- hmmmmmmmm....)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #63
Daimyo_Shi

Can I ask a stupid question, the AADA Vol. 3 should have been designed with at least good quality checking right? why is it so bad?
Old 10-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #64
swordtart

Clause 2 in your question is a fallacy. This explains clause 3 :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #65
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
Can I ask a stupid question, the AADA Vol. 3 should have been designed with at least good quality checking right? why is it so bad?
As swordtart said: That first statement is an assumption; it does not follow that such was actually done. And on the basis of "howlers" like the twin-BC-front Luxury (major 1/3-spaces violation), or the trike with side-mounted ATGs (not allowed, even if the L and R arcs extend into the F arc), or the simple fact that every single design is miscalculated in some aspect: It wasn't.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:35 AM   #66
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
So I am marvelling that the second coming of the huge amoun of small Auto manufacturers in North America in Car Wars, I figure that this is highly standardized largely robotic manufacturing with Engineers and designers as major over head with small management teams when compared to the Corporations that existed before the Economic troubles. I interested in hearing opinions on this.
13 are listed on statistica; those are big names (smallest being Tesla). I'm well aware of at least three small ones in Oregon alone... but they're small scale custom places. One's in greater Portland, one's in Springfield. A third is in Medford area... all are very niche. One's building enclosed electric trikes on motorcycle frames. Another is using 4-wheeled 1-2-1 3 seat inline electrics... the side wheels retract at speed. The third is souped up golf carts. 2 of the three make things needing plates....

Many states have such small <50/year manufacturers. (Alaska has a boat yard that will make a custom car if you ask really nice and have the cash... and the plans... they assembled a kit car for a guy I know. Not cheap, but it passed roadworthiness.)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote