Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
FritoJay

Default Unicorn Steed vs Magnificent Hat

So this came up in a recent Munchkin match. Words were shouted. Tables were flipped. Things got heated. Here's the scenario:

I had the Unicorn steed equipped. Another player had the Magnificent Hat equipped. The Unicorn card says that the unicorn protects the user from any curses played on them. The Hat says the hat reflects curses onto all other players. The point of contention is with the words "played" vs "reflects".

Does the Unicorn protect from reflected curses or does it only protect from curses that are "played" (i.e., when the curse card is drawn from the deck or played from someone's hand)? Ultimately it was decided that the Unicorn did not protect me from the curses reflected by the hat because those curses weren't actually "played", they were "reflected". I strongly disagreed with the decision but I was outnumbered by the rest of the table. So here I am, seeking justice and vindication from the Munchkin forum.
FritoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Default Re: Unicorn Steed vs Magnificent Hat

This question was asked regarding the Hat and the Sandals of Protection (which also gives protection from curses).

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...rse+protection

You are only protected against curse cards that targeted you to start with, not against curses that are reflected.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
FritoJay

I don't think that applies here since Sandals has specific wording related to kicking down the door and says "Curses played by other players still affect you". So yeah, that goes for Sandals because it's right there on the card. The Unicorn wording says (paraphrasing) "Curses played by another player do not affect you".
Old 11-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

After doing more searching on the steed, the hat and curses in general, you're right about the previous post. I thought it referred to curses in general.

Reflect simply changes the target of the curse not the source and the source is what we are concerned about in this scenario. There is currently three sources of curses; yourself, kicking down the door, and other players. The Unicorn steed only protects you from curses played from another players hand, it does not protect you against curses activated by kicking down the door, or curses you played from your hand. It doesn't matter how it came to target you, or if it targets everybody or just yourself. The only thing that matters is if it came from another players hand.

So we have three different scenarios;
1) Player A plays a curse from their hand on Player B who has the Hat. That curse got reflected to Player C who has the Unicorn.
2) Player B who has the Hat kicked down the door and activated a curse. That curse got reflected to Player C who has the Unicorn.
3) Player C plays a curse from their hand on Player B who has the Hat. That curse got reflected back to Player C who has the Unicorn.

Of those three scenarios, the Unicorn will only protect you from scenario 1. You will still be affected by the curse in scenarios 2 and 3 because the original source of the curse is not another players hand.

You didn't say how the curse came into play so the answer would depend on which of those scenarios fit what happened in your game.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #5
FritoJay

Ok that makes sense, the distinction between the target and source. I still don’t like it but I will abide. =)