Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Plane

Default resurrection via Technical Ghost Grappling - Healing vs Mortally Wounded?

What would it be like if you had the means of bringing back spirits that had left their bodies but this required physically grappling them, overpowering them and using Shoving Foes Around to relocate them into the body they just exited?

As best I can approximately, what happens to the old man during this song scene is he's got the perk of Near-Death Projection (Psionic Powers pg 29) but the ghost which reverses his death doesn't seem to have guaranteed success, and physically struggles to jam the ghost back into the corpse to revive him.

I know "requires grapple" is a -10% limitation on Innate Attack (from Powers: The Weird) but it seems like sort of "requires ST roll" -ish, except that PU8p17 under "Requires (Attribute) Roll" doesn't allow that as an option, so probably the closest is "requires DX roll".

This seems to leave out the component of strength which would be an important consideration in grappling.

I was thinking if we made this somehow a baseline "crushing attack" that the "ST-based" modifier could be used to approximate that by fluctuating the damage. So whatever the effect is, it could be based on damage (thus based on the ST) either as a Side Effect or a Symptom.

The only problem here (either way) is that inflicting damage on someone who is already near-death is probably just going to re-kill them. So I think this would only work w/ No Wounding as a Side Effect, since a Symptom actually requires injury (reducing HP) which defeats the purpose.

If we represent this as "requires DX vs DX" then we could float both the attack and the resistance to grappling skills, and then perhaps using the Shoving People Around rule from GURPs Martial Arts?

In terms of reversing the Mortally Wounded (B423) state which Near-Death Experience perk requires, does anyone know how "Stabilizing a Mortal Wound" could be done via Powers? B425 only talks about doing via the Surgery skill... the closest I can find in Psionic Powers is pg 48's Life Support perk.

It seems like stabilizing mortal wounds is something you should be able to do with the Healing power... Powers 36 mentions for example "a heroine’s distress at seeing her child mortally wounded might activate her potential Healing ability" but I don't know how you'd actually do this via the Healing advantage...

Magic 91's "Stop Bleeding can be use to stabilize mortal wounds at a higher cost. This isn't one of the things I've seen converted into Sorcery though. Exiting "Mortally Wounded" doesn't seem like a condition that's stopped merely through HP restoration...

Is there a power which can allow you to approximate the surgery skill w/o tools when you don't otherwise have it? Seems like you'd need this as some kind of Followup to this Crushing Attack w/ Side Effect.

Not exactly sure what the side effect would be. You can take Side Effect (Disadvantage) so even though it doesn't legally list "Negated Advantage" that doesn't seem like a huge stretch. Presumably negating Insubstantiality would force Insubstantiality (Projection) back into their body?

Negated Near-Death Experience might be a +51% side effect since all you can negate is the perk-level version?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: resurrection via Technical Ghost Grappling - Healing vs Mortally Wounded?

You could use a Will based Grappling roll and one of the Blessed versions that let you affect Insubstantial.
There are two other ways I know of but am not at liberty to post but you will hopefully seem them in a supplement early next year.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mortal wounds, near-death experience, projection, side effect, technical grappling