Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
somecallmetim

Default Statting the Spectre (DC Comics)

I am trying to stat a character who is a very thinly veiled version of the Spectre. The only way I can think of building him is do a 10,000 point character, with roughly 9,000 points being Modular Abilities. He can seemingly do whatever he wants. I was wondering if anyone else had tried statting a similar character or if I was over looking something obvious.

Thanks
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Statting the Spectre (DC Comics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I am trying to stat a character who is a very thinly veiled version of the Spectre. The only way I can think of building him is do a 10,000 point character, with roughly 9,000 points being Modular Abilities. He can seemingly do whatever he wants. I was wondering if anyone else had tried statting a similar character or if I was over looking something obvious.
Some of the high-end stunts can best be covered with the Ultrapower trait from GURPS Supers.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
somecallmetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Some of the high-end stunts can best be covered with the Ultrapower trait from GURPS Supers.

Bill Stoddard
That's a good point. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Refplace

The attacks of the Spectre are mostly deadly afflictions.
He has quite a few powers but it also depends on what erra Spectre your building. However the high end Spectre, lets see.
Power set Divine (Angel of Wrath) -5% as I dont recall any real counter measures but there are times when his power wont work against something.
Even the other Magical Heroes like Dr. Fate, Zatana, etc all give him wide berth.
He has insubstantiality with enhancements, World Jumper, a detect, telescan?, the ability to transform people and things (afflictions), Duty and Sense of Duty, Patron God, Intimidation, Unfazeable, Terror, Flight.
Permeation, Ultrapower.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
LemmingLord

how about write: can do anything on a character sheet and call it good?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
how about write: can do anything on a character sheet and call it good?
Honestly, you can probably do it much more cheaply. Just munchkin a little...

Insubstantiality w/Affects Substantial
Unkillable 3
Extreme Regeneration (FP Regeneration +100%)
Bunch of FP (or Energy Reserve, but then you need to
Magery (or Power Investiture) 20 or so
Pretty much every spell, or Magic! Wildcard skill
Fairly high Super-ST level (or perhaps just a high base regular ST for multiplying with major abuse of the Enlarge spell)
A bunch of Alternative Attacks for killing miscreants in various creative ways - Afflictions, giant Cutting attacks, etc.

Should be able to cover the basics with a 1000 pts or a touch more.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
Phil Masters

"Something else got brought back with him--there's differences of opinion about exactly what. I mean, there's a school of thought that says it's his soul, supercharged, as it were. And there's another school of thought that suggests it's something far older. Whatever it is, sometimes it's practically the most powerful thing in the universe. Sometimes it's little more than a bloke in white tights and a green hood. It's been up and down the occult league tables faster than a whore's drawers."
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
"Something else got brought back with him--there's differences of opinion about exactly what. I mean, there's a school of thought that says it's his soul, supercharged, as it were. And there's another school of thought that suggests it's something far older. Whatever it is, sometimes it's practically the most powerful thing in the universe. Sometimes it's little more than a bloke in white tights and a green hood. It's been up and down the occult league tables faster than a whore's drawers."
Yes, that certainly explains the differences between the Golden Age Jim Corgan Spectre and the current Angel of Vengeance. (That sounds like an Garth Ennis line, btw.)

Just remember that when the Spectre gets taken out at the start of a Crisis, folks like Superman and Green Lantern get worried. (Sometimes I think the writers do that because they realize that the Spectre is pretty much their deus ex machina who can pretty much handwave the solution if he so wished.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
quarkstomper

The quote's from Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic; and yes, Phil, that quote was the first thing that came to my mind too.

Fortunately, Tim only wants to create a character who is like the Spectre. That means he doesn't have to worry about Jim Corrigan's wildly fluctuating power level. It does mean, though, that he'll have to define exactly what his version can do.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
somecallmetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post
The quote's from Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic; and yes, Phil, that quote was the first thing that came to my mind too.

Fortunately, Tim only wants to create a character who is like the Spectre. That means he doesn't have to worry about Jim Corrigan's wildly fluctuating power level. It does mean, though, that he'll have to define exactly what his version can do.
I didn't realize how varied the Spectre's presentation had been.

I was mostly interested in the vaguely gothic golden age stuff where he turns an evil fortune teller to glass or animates near by objects to punish people. Less the truly epic stuff like holding parallel universes apart.