Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default GURPS Prime Directive and Transhumanism

Just got the GURPS Federation pdf, and I'm interested in running a game, but with some differences. As a big fan of Transhuman Space and not a big fan of "sticking to Continuity", I'm curious about the addition of Transhuman elements to the Starfleet Universe.

This, of course, requires some setting tinkering.
-The ban on Eugenics can be removed, replaced instead by a policy of strictly policing the technology, with individual worlds having access to different levels of bio-tech. Super-Soldier creation is still banned, however, with the resulting creations being treated as living weapons.

-Non-Sapient AI machines, effectively "Droids", make up the majority of the actual labor class in most civilizations, working in cooperation with living superiors. Sapient AIs are outright banned by the Romulans, treated as a Subject Race by the Klingon Empire and heavily restricted in their creation, and treated as free beings in the Federation.

-Nanotechnology is effectively an "old" technology, as Replicators and Matter Rearrangers have replaced them for manufacturing; they are still used for medical purposes, and are really the explanation for "magical medicine".

These are just some early thoughts. I'd like to explore the concept further.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
pawsplay

Default Re: GURPS Prime Directive and Transhumanism

Take a transporter. Use it on Captain Captain Kirk. Take 160 pounds of mass and tell the transporter that it's Captain Kirk, using his last transporter signal. Repeat hundreds of times. Watch the Klingon Empire fall before the might of Kirk!
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Take a transporter. Use it on Captain Captain Kirk. Take 160 pounds of mass and tell the transporter that it's Captain Kirk, using his last transporter signal. Repeat hundreds of times. Watch the Klingon Empire fall before the might of Kirk!
That assumes that Kirk could get along with himself and could find an infinity of Enterprise crews to work with. Kirk led a team, he was not the team himself.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
vierasmarius

Quote:
You may want to redefine the mechanism used by the transporter beam, to prevent this sort of thing from happening. It would look the same, but utilize "micro-wormholes" or "virtual tachyons" or something, beaming the person without destroying and reforming them.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
...curious about the addition of Transhuman elements to the Starfleet Universe.
I dig. I've thought about ways to introduce it into my campaign and still maintain cannon. My idea was to place the Transhunan elements before the ban; their decendents are still out and about.

Quote:
The ban on Eugenics can be removed, replaced instead by a policy of strictly policing the technology, with individual worlds having access to different levels of bio-tech.
I like this idea. I think technically you could still call it a "ban". I.e. The ban applies to most Federation civilians.

Quote:
Non-Sapient AI machines, effectively "Droids", make up the majority of the actual labor class in most civilizations, working in cooperation with living superiors. Sapient AIs are ... heavily restricted in their creation, and treated as free beings in the Federation.
Sounds good. One could argue that the lack of droids we see on TV is nothing more than a statistical anomaly. Maybe some ship Captains prefer enlisted men to droids.

Quote:
Nanotechnology is effectively an "old" technology, as Replicators and Matter Rearrangers have replaced them for manufacturing; they are still used for medical purposes, and are really the explanation for "magical medicine".
I take it you're in at least the TNG era? My game is in the TOS era, and as such, Medical Tech is only 9, while everything else is 11. Standard "safe tech" stuff.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
That assumes that Kirk could get along with himself and could find an infinity of Enterprise crews to work with. Kirk led a team, he was not the team himself.
You could give each of them a team. Half of them would receive Spocks, and the other half would receive Sulus.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Astromancer

Quote:
You could give each of them a team. Half of them would receive Spocks, and the other half would receive Sulus.
If I was a cloned Kirk, I'd hold out for the full set of Spock, Sulu, Ururha, McCoy, Scott, Checkov, and see if I could get my pick of the Next Generation and Deep Space Nine crews!

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
If I was a cloned Kirk, I'd hold out for the full set of Spock, Sulu, Ururha, McCoy, Scott, Checkov, and see if I could get my pick of the Next Generation and Deep Space Nine crews!
Star Trek: Gotta Catch Em All! ^_^
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
the adventurer

I'd almost rather do the opposite, take Transhuman Space and play with the basic premises of Trek. Mankind has built it's first interstellar spacecraft and it's off on a seven year mission to explore the galaxy. On board is a mix of humans, bioroids, cybershells, AIs, and anything else that represents humanity as it currently exists.

Being Transhuman Space a heavy slant toward plausable realizm would require all extraterrestrials met on the journework to be incredibly alien. No 'bone-head' humans. Also, those races might be as varied as humanity has become.
the adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
pawsplay

If you were willing to apply some relativistic effects, or travel via wormhole through space-time, some of the "aliens" could turn out to be divergent humans. Possibly green-skinned, sexy divergent humans.