Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #31
BrockNicholson

Default Re: Pros and cons of growing your own island nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
With the Compartmentalized Mind (noncombat) (100 castings/second), couldn't he just drop millions of cubic metres of earth from high up, devastating any major city? I mean, no nation would refuse to recognize his legitimacy if he threatened to bury their capitals.

Even if he's not a villain, no one is going to risk pushing him. I mean, what can they do? Surround the island with ships? I doubt even aircraft carriers can survive a hundred tons of rock raining down from the stratosphere.
If I were the GM I would rule that destroying a city was combat.
BrockNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #32
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockNicholson View Post
If I were the GM I would rule that destroying a city was combat.
Only when the airplanes come to shoot you down. Pouring boiling water on an anthill isn't combat - at least not to the boys that do it,
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #33
Lamech

Resources can be provided by essential earth. What, you have good iron mines? I have essential iron mines.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #34
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Now, a work gang of earth elementals, on the other hand......
I'd be very interested to see someone do the numbers on this one - is this a better plan than the Volcano one, perhaps?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #35
RGTraynor

Or, if you're not wedded to an island, Bir Tawil is still terra nullius ...

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #36
Proteus

I don't think earth elementals are able to create earth, are they? So rather than earth elementals, wouldn't you want fire elementals, to agitate the magma from below? Or perhaps both, to arrange an eruption most efficiently?

More on new islands: Surtsey appeared off the coast of Iceland (in relatively shallow 425-foot-deep water) and took almost four years to reach a maximum size of one square mile. By 2002, wind and wave erosion had caused its area to dwindle to half that, though that harder remainder is expected to last until at least 2100.

Wikipedia has a list of new islands -- most of them temporary, due to just such erosion.

One of the better options might be Kavachi: it's already highly eruptive, and located between Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, neither of which has much renown for enforcing territorial claims.

Other possibilities might include Metis Shoal and Home Reef, though both are decidedly within the Kingdom of Tonga, so there'd need to be some politicking and horse-trading by any prospective "owners".
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #37
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I don't think earth elementals are able to create earth, are they? .
They can gather it together. Which is good since it means the ocean levels world-wide will be unaffected.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #38
Jerander

Quote:
I don't think earth elementals are able to create earth, are they? So rather than earth elementals, wouldn't you want fire elementals, to agitate the magma from below? Or perhaps both, to arrange an eruption most efficiently?
And likely the water elementals, to keep them from putting the kabosh on a project like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
They can gather it together. Which is good since it means the ocean levels world-wide will be unaffected.
So how long this method would take depends on the number of elementals you can control at once and how effective they are at moving the mass. Could be days, could be centuries.

Quote:
One of the better options might be Kavachi: it's already highly eruptive...
I'm not sure I'd go with an already active volcano. Since it may not turn off when you finally have an island the size you want...
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #39
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't have time to run the math at present, but I'm pretty sure that, even using the profile of a shield volcano, the creation of a moderate-sized island will have a negligible effect on worldwide sea level. The oceans are really, really big.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #40
starslayer

However; build a new island chain in the artic or antartic <don't need to be big>, and make them set up to support a huge ice shelf growing over them and you could REDUCE water levels (Doubly so if you have a complex infrastructure to encourage ice forming). Declare yourself a country with the intent of lowering sea levels and anyone who attacks you will be condemned as an eco-terrorist by everyone else!
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, supers