Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
binn05

Default Question about SM and Reach

An SM+1 Character increases its reach from C to 1 B402.

DF1,p27 states that an SM+1 character can buy an oversized weapon. But it says nothing about changing the weapon's SM.

Does an oversized weapon, created for an SM+1 creature, increase the weapon's reach?
Old 11-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
smurf
Banned

Default Re: Question about SM and Reach

You will need to have a look at LT2 on pp20+

And yes the weapon's weight, cost, reach, damage can all change.

iirc there is a rule of thumb that a SM+1 reach would require something with a min ST15.

In a supers game I am running there is a ST40 character that uses normal sized halberds as 'paired' weapons. Min ST13 halberd is unbalanced at min STx3 it becomes a balanced weapon.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
DF Denizens Barbarians (pg 26) is probably the book he wants, since he's already playing DF. ;)

Low Tech does have more 'realistic' rules, DFD:B is aimed at the "lower resolution" of DF.

Quote:
Does an oversized weapon, created for an SM+1 creature, increase the weapon's reach?
No. You don't start increasing reach until SM+2. Mostly at SM+1 you're just making a 'beefier' weapon.

[ERROR]
For ST, if the weapon did +1 damage or more, increase minimum ST by times 1.5. So for instance an SM+1 Small Mace goes up to Minimum ST 15. But a Hatchet goes up to 12.
[/ERROR]

[CORRECTED]
Increase minimum ST by times 1.5. So for instance an SM+1 Small Mace goes up to Minimum ST 15. A SM+1 Hatchet goes up to 12.
[/CORRECTED]

There is more to it than that, but that should answer your questions whet your appetite for this book.

Last edited by evileeyore; 11-21-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Corrected an error.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
binn05

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post

And yes the weapon's weight, cost, reach, damage can all change.

iirc there is a rule of thumb that a SM+1 reach would require something with a min ST15.

In a supers game I am running there is a ST40 character that uses normal sized halberds as 'paired' weapons. Min ST13 halberd is unbalanced at min STx3 it becomes a balanced weapon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
DF Denizens Barbarians (pg 26) is probably the book he wants, since he's already playing DF. ;)

Low Tech does have more 'realistic' rules, DFD:B is aimed at the "lower resolution" of DF.

No. You don't start increasing reach until SM+2. Mostly at SM+1 you're just making a 'beefier' weapon.

For ST, if the weapon did +1 damage or more, increase minimum ST by times 1.5. So for instance an SM+1 Small Mace goes up to Minimum ST 15. But a Hatchet stays at ST 8.

There is more to it than that, but that should answer your questions whet your appetite for this book.
Thank you for the reply.
Your explanations were what I needed. Sadly, I can't buy those books now. Already reach my quota of GURPS books for the moment, lol.

Tags
dungeon fantasy 1, gigantism, oversized weapon, reach, size modifier