Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #21
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Social Engineering

Good luck. My games often take a heavy turn for the social; if my time had looked better, I'd have tried to get on the list. As it is, I look forward to seeing what comes out!

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #22
Christian

*sigh* Reading this to late. :D I'm famous (or rather infamous?) for my adventures having a very strong social bend. Well, lets hope the product is as good as they usualy come from SJGames.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #23
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
*sigh* Reading this to late. :D I'm famous (or rather infamous?) for my adventures having a very strong social bend. Well, lets hope the product is as good as they usualy come from SJGames.
Not sure this is true. I am taking the reiteration of the call for playtesters on the Daily Illuminator to be indicative that there may yet be positions for playtesters available. I've tossed my hat into the ring. I'm always happy to be of assistance, but I would always assume a high quality of product from SJ Games, since they've consistently delivered such. :)

-P.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #24
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar View Post
Not sure this is true. I am taking the reiteration of the call for playtesters on the Daily Illuminator to be indicative that there may yet be positions for playtesters available. I've tossed my hat into the ring. I'm always happy to be of assistance, but I would always assume a high quality of product from SJ Games, since they've consistently delivered such.
In fact, that's exactly the case. I've sent out notifications of acceptance to somewhat over half the total playtest roster; I'm waiting to pick the rest after a day or two from now. Fast response counts for something . . . it shows attention and motivation . . . but other qualities count also.

Besides, if you don't roll, you can't crit.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #25
demonsbane

Quote:
(...) but I would always assume a high quality of product from SJ Games, since they've consistently delivered such. :)
I'm confident about this book. It's a so great idea!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #26
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
This rule discriminates against people like myself that buy lots of stuff, but much prefer physical copy (...)
I'm almost sure that this isn't his choice. Don't blame Bill for this, then. It's the current SJG policy.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 11-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
This rule discriminates against people like myself that buy lots of stuff, but much prefer physical copy. Has anyone considered that this skewed pool of playtesters might be skewing the playtest results?

An effect might be in favour of rules that fit on screen for easy pdf viewing, or it might be simply because of the different nature of people that buy lots of pdfs, or there may be no effect at all. But I haven't seen anyone consider the subject.
Shouldn't the playtest be geared to the intended audience for the final product? It's not likely to include people that don't play GURPS either. If this was a playtest for a print book, I'd think that you'd have a point, but it's not.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #28
demonsbane

That's a good reasoning.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 11-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #29
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
I'm confident about this book. It's a so great idea!
One of the reasons that I've been able to convert players to GURPS over the years is that GURPS offers playable rulesets where other systems might gloss over the details away from combat. A lot of RPG players in my age category (I turned 40 this year) don't need to game a lot of violence and kewl powers, but want to roleplay campaigns with a focus on, for example, politics, kingmaking, negotiation...

I suspect that the appeal of the book may spill over to non-GURPS players as a result. I know a number of Non-GURPS players who bought GURPS Mysteries just to get a sense of how to structure and run Mystery campaigns...
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #30
demonsbane

Quote:
(...) I suspect that the appeal of the book may spill over to non-GURPS players as a result. I know a number of Non-GURPS players who bought GURPS Mysteries just to get a sense of how to structure and run Mystery campaigns...
I share your views on this. And you can be right here: days ago I spotted a RPGnet thread about this book. People seemed very interested, and it's still open.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+