Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Friendpmcii

Default Making a movie

I am trying to figure out what is used for making a movie, more spasific Sensie (ultra tech 58) and normal movies from Sensie data taken from normal/random people.

I have the fact that Electronics Operation (Media) would be important as well as Propaganda.

Would there be anything else though? I know acting and other social skills are important for a director/actor but as he is making the movies out of normal people's regular lives is there anything else he could have that improves his skill at taking the most interesting parts to make movies?
Friendpmcii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Making a movie

Performance rather than Acting, I'd say, along with a good possibility of Stage Combat* (if they need to stage a fight) for the performers.

Photography seems a shoo-in for those working the cameras and other recording devices; I'd use Electronics Operation (Media) for the editing of the footage. I'd probably have the director using Professional Skill (Director) for setting up the action and knowing how to angle the cameras for the best angles.

For a sensie, the Performance, Stage Combat, Electronics Operation (Media), and Professional Skill (Director) are probably unchanged, though I'm unsure whether Photography covers sensie recorders or not.

* critical failure on Stage Combat would be having to tell the stunt man, "This is where you fall down." :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 07-03-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

There are quite a few skills used to make a movie, depending on what part of the process you're involved in.

The scriptwriter writes the story and the directions for the actors; that's Writing. If he wants to slant the story to give it a particular message, add Propaganda.

The actors recite their lines and move according to their directions; that's Performance.

The cinematographer decides where to aim the cameras, and the cameramen take the actual photos; both of those are Photography.

Special effects are usually done by computers nowadays; the people who operate those computers are using Artist (and possibly Computer Operation if the software is cutting-edge, but that's rare nowadays).

The producer finds the money to do all of the above and makes sure everything's paid for and all the permits are obtained; that's many of the skills covered under the Businessman! wildcard skill.

Given all of the above, I'm not sure what skill the director uses... but he has to do something, since it's possible for him to win an Oscar for what he does. Maybe Leadership?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Given all of the above, I'm not sure what skill the director uses... but he has to do something, since it's possible for him to win an Oscar for what he does. Maybe Leadership?
Group Performance (Directing), with the Film familiarity.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote