Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2023, 02:57 AM   #11
The Benj

Default Re: Is it written in the books somewhere that players should be aware of their ruling

I like to work with the player to make their character and walk them through how each of their abilities work, then as part of their character pack, I cut and paste the rules for each of them into a little document that goes in their folder, so they can refer to it at their leisure.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:22 AM   #12
malloyd

Default Re: Is it written in the books somewhere that players should be aware of their ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
That's how I feel. I was just wondering if it was written as a suggestion.
If anything, the implication is the opposite - all the rules are guidelines and the GM is fully entitled to [make up] rules for anything at any time, even contradicting the ones he made up for the same situation previously. That being the case, there's no particular point in the players knowing the rules (to better waste everyone's time arguing about them?).

And sure many games are more cooperative than that, it's a social activity after all, and occasionally some mild rules lawyering is even part of the fun in groups where everybody knows the point it needs to stop. But it's a play style choice, not something to be "mandated" in the (optional remember) rules.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:16 AM   #13
RGTraynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
That's how I feel. I was just wondering if it was written as a suggestion.
Does it need to be?

If you're a GM who needs players to know the rules, convey that in Session Zero.

If you're a GM comfortable with players who don't, no problem.

Either way, I don't need the question to be explicitly put down in black and white in the rulebook.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:58 AM   #14
whswhs

I've always been perfectly happy to run games for players who don't know the rules. If they can tell me what they think their characters would do, I can help them figure out what that would be in game terms. If anything, too much focus on the rules can be a hindrance to that, in that it can tempt players to come up with something that gives them a game mechanical advantage rather than thinking about what their character would actually choose to do.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:04 PM   #15
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
No, I don't think so. This is between the GM and the players, not a place for the rules to get involved.
Exactly, it's in the Social Contract. I don't require the Players to know all the rules (heck, I don't know all the rules) but I do expect them to learn their way around their Character Sheet and what to roll.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:54 PM   #16
Plane

I think it's somewhat implied via Common Sense - with Common Sense you buy a possible reminder from the GM when you make a bad decision which may have something to do with you forgetting something you're capable of doing.

That's also something "Standard Operating Procedure" is good for.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:59 AM   #17
Pursuivant

While I've got a good memory for the rules, it's always nice to have a second opinion.

When I've been a GM I've always been willing to change my ruling if players could quickly point out my error in a way that doesn't slow down play.

If I have a trustworthy and knowledgeable player, I'm happy for them to act as "assistant GM"; hunting down rules references or running NPCs in combat. If they're particularly helpful, their character gets extra experience points for the game session.

When I've been a player, I'll point out relevant rules to the GM if I can do so politely, without interrupting play too badly, and without seeming like an obnoxious "rules lawyer." If the GM doesn't take my advice I respect their decision. Their game, their rules.

The best time for helpful player suggestions about rules is before or after a game session. "Since the party's next adventure will take them through the desert, would you be interested in looking at the expanded rules for Survival skill from GURPS Low Tech?"
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:05 PM   #18
Alden Loveshade

I don't recall seeing the specifics the original poster mentioned in the books.

But there are these (both from GURPS Basic Set):

"As with all things, the GM’s word is final." (B 32)

You can do whatever you want . . . that’s the whole point of the system. Most important: Have fun! (B. 8)
Alden Loveshade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:58 PM   #19
Extrarius

Personally, I ascribe to the method of not asking the players to know any rules or mechanics. They create characters and interact with the world using natural language. Were all my players able to read, I might ask that they can look up a target by name (a la "roll stealth") but for now I just tell them how many dice to roll.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:59 AM   #20
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

For Most of my Players, I expect them to know their rules, or at least the page number or section of the book the rules are in.

The exceptions twofold:

1) Players who struggle with math and some rule memorization, who I just have rely on intuition and adjudicate maneuvers and skills for. I run new players this way as well. I still expect them to have their sheet ready when I ask what their occultism score is.

2) Players who are trying to push the edge of the rules for cool builds. I generally go and make sure I understand what they are doing.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote