Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-08-2023, 07:47 AM   #191
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Corco's Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yes. It feels like something she would have.

You see it moving in its plane? That changes how I see it moving by a lot...

Please put everything in one spot. Bad grip, oh yeah. horizontal is weird on no-legs (semi-aquatic).
Thos disads are from the dragon form and I replaced template parts a bit at a time and missed them. Horizontal makes no sense on an aquatic creature. Bad Grip seems inappropriate on a creature that's mostly arms... so I think I'll stick with the smell and color blindness unless you want to make changes.

disregarding ST, the Dragon template is 164 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Monster Template at 164 points
ST +20
SM+2
360 Vision [25]
Appearance (Monstrous) [-20]
Bad Smell [-10]
Color Blindness [-10]
Doesn't Breathe (Gills) [0]
DR 10 (Cannot Wear Armor, -40%) [30]
Existing Arms (Extra Flexible, +50%) [10]
Extra Arms x4 (Extra Flexible, +50%) [60]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Immunity to Disease [10]
Injury Tolerance (No Eyes, No Head, No Neck) [17]
Invertebrate [-20]
Move +10 [50]
Mute [-25]
Natural Attack, Impaling (Accurate +2, Acc 5, +10%; Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Extra Damage Type, Cutting, +20%; Good Defense, +2 to Parry, +60%; Increased Damage, +2 per Die, +120%; Increased Range, 20X, +30%; Ranged, +100%; Rapid Fire, RoF 3, +50%; Swing Capable, Cutting, +20%; Underwater, +20%(Underwater Range is ST/STx2)) [47]
Night Vision 7 [7];
No Legs (Semi-Aquatic) [0]
Social Stigma, Monster [-15]
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:00 AM   #192
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

What's the math on attacking once with each limb? I'm not seeing a bunch of extra attack in there...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:30 PM   #193
the_matrix_walker

You asked for the math, so I had another look, I forgot to include both the +1 relative size modifier and a -1 for their relative Move of 3 in my effective skill description for that post...

So listing out the math in more GURPSY detail:
Quote:
Basic Attack Skill: Throwing Art -14
Techniques:
  • Skill -4 for Dual Weapon Attack (Removed by Dual Weapon Attack Technique)
  • Skill -4 for the Off-Hand attacks (All arms but primary Arm - Removed by Off Hand Weapon Training Technique)
Modifiers:
  • Natural Attack Acc 3 (Masterful Training): +3
  • Target SM +3: +3
  • Speed penalty for relative speed of 3: -1
  • Range penalty for first three attacks: -9
  • Range penalty for last five attacks: -8

Effective Skill for First three Attacks 10
Effective Skill for Last five Attacks 11

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-11-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:19 PM   #194
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ok, And I remember that the techniques were basically free, but I don't remember what rule that's under. Is that just a function of the Bang Skill?

Remember you only get two seconds of aim once, for one arm.

Relative size modifier doesn't count, just absolute, I think, in standard gurps. So I think you're at +2.

I'm strongly considering requiring the Acc on natural weapons to be unchanged from the base of 3. I'm leaving it for this build, but I may add that to requirements going forward.

How is V staying with the sub? Is this a move and attack (Bulk -2), or do two arms need to be grasping the sub?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-11-2023, 12:05 PM   #195
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Ok, And I remember that the techniques were basically free, but I don't remember what rule that's under. Is that just a function of the Bang Skill?
Yes, it's a special treatment that Style Wildcards get. And the Ultimate Style is totally over the top.
Quote:
Remember you only get two seconds of aim once, for one arm.
For some reason I thought you kept that aim bonus as long as you didn't lose line of sight, but I'm apparently insane. I edited the post.
Quote:
Relative size modifier doesn't count, just absolute, I think, in standard gurps. So I think you're at +2.
Wait... We're both off... target SM is added to skill, and the shark is SM+3
Quote:
I'm strongly considering requiring the Acc on natural weapons to be unchanged from the base of 3. I'm leaving it for this build, but I may add that to requirements going forward.
Your prerogative of course... We can pull the extra ACC now, we are refiguring the effective skill anyway. In fact, it keeps the Effective skill the same once we correct for the SM:
Quote:
Basic Attack Skill: Throwing Art -14
Techniques:
  • Skill -4 for Dual Weapon Attack (Removed by Dual Weapon Attack Technique)
  • Skill -4 for the Off-Hand attacks (All arms but primary Arm - Removed by Off Hand Weapon Training Technique)
Modifiers:
  • Natural Attack Acc 3 (Masterful Training): +3
  • Target SM +3: +3
  • Speed penalty for relative speed of 3: -1
  • Range penalty for first three attacks: -9
  • Range penalty for last five attacks: -8

Effective Skill for First three Attacks 10
Effective Skill for Last five Attacks 11
This reduces the price of the Natural Attack by [1], so let's throw that into the bioluminescent perk and say they have a light source that can be ambient, a beacon, or turned off as needed for a little extra light if Night Vision 7 isn't cutting it. Kind of like accessory: hooded lantern, but underwater...
Quote:
How is V staying with the sub? Is this a move and attack (Bulk -2), or do two arms need to be grasping the sub?
Vassarious tethered themselves to a line and is kind of kiting, being dragged along with the sub for now. (They exited and anchored to the sub from the forwardmost point possible if that's okay.) They will hit the release on the line when the demons are close enough to close for melee.

Can I use the Ultimate techniques we discussed in the water? They requires an Acrobatics rolls (perhaps floated (ha!) to Aquabatics?), but I'm not sure what a fall would mean underwater...

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-11-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:53 AM   #196
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Yes, it's a special treatment that Style Wildcards get. And the Ultimate Style is totally over the top.

For some reason I thought you kept that aim bonus as long as you didn't lose line of sight, but I'm apparently insane. I edited the post.

Wait... We're both off... target SM is added to skill, and the shark is SM+3
Ok, things are getting clearer now.

Quote:
Your prerogative of course... We can pull the extra ACC now, we are refiguring the effective skill anyway. In fact, it keeps the Effective skill the same once we correct for the SM:
Ok, lets do it.

Quote:
This reduces the price of the Natural Attack by [1], so let's throw that into the bioluminescent perk and say they have a light source that can be ambient, a beacon, or turned off as needed for a little extra light if Night Vision 7 isn't cutting it. Kind of like accessory: hooded lantern, but underwater...
I assumed you could already turn it off and on for free: your baseline is TL8, where lights kind of do that.

Quote:
Vassarious tethered themselves to a line and is kind of kiting, being dragged along with the sub for now. (They exited and anchored to the sub from the forwardmost point possible if that's okay.) They will hit the release on the line when the demons are close enough to close for melee.

Can I use the Ultimate techniques we discussed in the water? They requires an Acrobatics rolls (perhaps floated (ha!) to Aquabatics?), but I'm not sure what a fall would mean underwater...
Turbulence. Yeah, an Aquabatics roll to avoid being caught up in the turbulence. Failure means you spend the turn being dragged at an awkward angle spinning and turning, trying to stabilize yourself again.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:02 AM   #197
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

On Halcyone reloading...

One fast draw(ammo) lets you sync your arms to all do the same reloading. It takes three seconds to reload, unless you make a second roll to reduce the time to two seconds.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:48 AM   #198
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious is pulled along by a drag line attached to the air lock as the sub moves along... they are ready to drop the line to engage in melee when the demons get closer...
Do we need a separate roll for each second?

Damage is... base 3d, +2/die for weapon master, +2/die from the weapon. ok, got it.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:08 PM   #199
the_matrix_walker

Every round? if you say so.

Arg, I usually have techniques to bail Vassarious out... Being underwater complicates matters. Maybe I should have just taken the -2 bulk penalty...

Aquabatics (Acrobatics -4)

3d6 <= 10
1: 1 + 4 + 5 = 10 ... success
2: 6 + 5 + 1 = 12 ... failure
3: 1 + 6 + 4 = 11 ... failure
4: 5 + 5 + 1 = 11 ... failure
5: 6 + 3 + 4 = 13 ... failure
6: 2 + 4 + 6 = 12 ... failure
7: 5 + 6 + 2 = 13 ... failure
Old 03-16-2023, 08:15 AM   #200
TGLS

Quote:
That's second 13... they should be at 31 yards, shouldn't they? 70-3*13?

... but the squid-demon makes all three dodge rolls.
Oops! Made a slip up on the distance, though technically 31 yards is less than 30 meters :P.

Strangely the remaining distances are accurate.

Last edited by TGLS; 03-16-2023 at 08:31 AM.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote