Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #21
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Mars 1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
... In keeping with contemporary tradition (E R Burroughs, especially Master Mind of Mars) the other world is Mars, a desiccating, dying, dusty world, home to a decadent culture. I'm torn between using Schiaparelli's map and laying a bit of water on a modern relief map of Mars. ...
Great idea for a campaign. I would suggest the latter map -- real Mars is an amazing landscape.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #22
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Great idea for a campaign. I would suggest the latter map -- real Mars is an amazing landscape.
Is it possible to load a genuine map of Mars into one of these mapping programmes and get it to add water?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #23
Anaraxes

I don't know about the usual campaign map-creation tools, but I have seen the occasional web page that lets you set a sea level for Mars... here's one. Importing the results as anything other than a bitmap might be difficult, though.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #24
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Is it possible to load a genuine map of Mars into one of these mapping programmes and get it to add water?
I don't know. I have an extremely well detailed colorized relief map of Mars in a book (I'll cite it in an edit later today).
Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #25
Captain-Captain

I'd make it clear that your PCs profit with your wizard running things with them as powers behind the throne. The Wizard has the correct genetic code to activate the excalibur equivelent item justifying the Crown etc. They themselves see how tradition and law constrain the soverign but not her pink and brown skinned allies from beyond.

Seaking of beyond, condider a second set of arrivals of Austrian troops if onl to mix Australians with Austrians and drive Martian linguists nuts. ;)

Including the crazy sign painter mit der short mustache und hatred of the Semites is not required, just mean enough to merit consideration.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #26
tratclif

My copy of GURPS Mars has gone wandering, but the Dying Mars chapter has a sketch map of a canal system overlaying real-world Martian geography, character templates for half-a-dozen subspecies of humanoid Martians, and brief write-ups of three different Martian cultures (mercantile Mariner Valley, the Acidalian Theocracy spread across the dry seabed of the Boreal Ocean, and an insular kingdom in the Hellas basin.
tratclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratclif View Post
My copy of GURPS Mars has gone wandering, but the Dying Mars chapter has a sketch map of a canal system overlaying real-world Martian geography, character templates for half-a-dozen subspecies of humanoid Martians, and brief write-ups of three different Martian cultures (mercantile Mariner Valley, the Acidalian Theocracy spread across the dry seabed of the Boreal Ocean, and an insular kingdom in the Hellas basin.
My copy is right here, and though in general I consider it an excellent product, those bits are not exactly what I want for this campaign. I am a fussy world-builder, and as usual I will re-work any world before running stuff set in it.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #28
Apache
On Notice

You could pick up a copy of Space:1889 (either the original version from Heliograph or the new release by Savage Worlds) and use the maps there.

Is very easy to add seas to their map of Mars.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #29
Figleaf23
Banned

A Traveller's Guide to Mars: The Mysterious Landscapes of the Red Planet, by William K Hartmann (copyright 2003), Workman Publishing, NY.

ISBN 0-7611-2606-6

The map is a fold-out composite of images derived from the Mars Global Surveyor Laser Altimetry done from 1997-2000.

EDIT-It's a great book, but I just found the map available online here.

Last edited by Figleaf23; 06-30-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #30
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
What ultra-tech?
Giant walking tripods with heat rays, of course.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio-tech, mars, sci-fi, sword & planet, ultra-tech