Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Dustin

Default Airport Maps

Just found this, suitable for your modern ops, MH, supers, etc type of games.

http://www.bing.com/community/site_b...-for-bing.aspx
Old 10-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Airport Maps

That's awesome, thanks.

I don't suppose they have anything similar for nuclear plants?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
That's awesome, thanks.

Hear that? It's the sound of the NSA's ears pricking up ;)

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Just found this, suitable for your modern ops, MH, supers, etc type of games.

http://www.bing.com/community/site_b...-for-bing.aspx
Nifty...

Looking at this from the other side of the terminal:
Every airport in Canada, showing what the pilot thinks is important
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Hear that? It's the sound of the NSA's ears pricking up ;)
And yet I have a fully bona fide geek-need. The players in my post apocalypse game are about to explore one, and I have no idea what the layout might be like. I suppose I could try mapping Half-Life.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
jacobmuller

not perfect but a start http://www.nucleartourist.com/areas/vver1.htm
or
http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...r+plant+layout
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
ClayDowling

Quote:
And yet I have a fully bona fide geek-need. The players in my post apocalypse game are about to explore one, and I have no idea what the layout might be like. I suppose I could try mapping Half-Life.
I find my geek needs are rarely such that I'm willing to draw the attention of the NSA. However, you're in luck, because there were plenty of diagrams of the Fukushima plants floating around in the media. Might not be exactly what's on the ground, but good enough for game purposes. After all, you're just trying to play at exploring a nuke facility, not actually start a fission reaction.

Think back to Fukishima too when you're plotting their exploration. If the world ended without a controlled shutdown and the safe removal of the spent fuel there will have been a fire and contamination with radioactive isotopes. If it was a breeder reactor, it will also have significant plutonium contamination in the area, and that's a deadly poison that doesn't break down. Even a little contact is enough to kill you dead. Fortunately it's a fairly uncommon type of reactor. They're usually only owned by governments with an advanced nuclear program. France will be the exception, having a waste-not want-not policy.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #8
gjc8

Quote:
You can find satellite pictures of them on Google Maps, if you know where they are. The different parts aren't labelled, but perhaps you could use that to put together the layout combined with some of the schematics to figure things out.

If you look at 41.964245,-83.258686 on Google Maps, there's one where Enrico Fermi Drive ends near the lake coast.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
I find my geek needs are rarely such that I'm willing to draw the attention of the NSA. However, you're in luck, because there were plenty of diagrams of the Fukushima plants floating around in the media. Might not be exactly what's on the ground, but good enough for game purposes. After all, you're just trying to play at exploring a nuke facility, not actually start a fission reaction.

Think back to Fukishima too when you're plotting their exploration. If the world ended without a controlled shutdown and the safe removal of the spent fuel there will have been a fire and contamination with radioactive isotopes. If it was a breeder reactor, it will also have significant plutonium contamination in the area, and that's a deadly poison that doesn't break down. Even a little contact is enough to kill you dead. Fortunately it's a fairly uncommon type of reactor. They're usually only owned by governments with an advanced nuclear program. France will be the exception, having a waste-not want-not policy.
Though, only the 50-70's era US and soviet atomic plant designs have the supercritical limiting reactions, rather then the much more safe supercritical inducing reactions. Basically, an atomic powerplant works by walking a very thin line between supercritical and sub-critical (if supercritical the reaction goes out of control and explodes, if sub-critical the reactor can't keep reacting and everything stops) the old plant designs ran supercritical, and you had to do things to bring it sub-critical, if you stop doing those things it spirals out of control. Modern plants (all the french ones, the CANDU and many new US/soviet/chinese plants) instead use supercritical inducing, where things need to be done to the reactor to make it go more supercritical, if you stop doing things it rapidly goes sub-critical; they are also sometimes called 'walk-away safe', you can just drop everything and leave the plant and all you will do is fuse the reactor (costing millions of dollars and rendering it useless, but not actually making any sort of atomic explosion).

Supercritical-limiting was initially used because it was cheaper and easier to set up, as well there was more of a 'safety-margin' of slightly incorrect operation before getting a meltdown or fused reactor (there is basically no chance of a melt-down with a supercritical inducing, but failing to carefully monitor the reaction at all times could result in a fusing rendering the reactor inert, which is very expensive in money, but not in lives).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote