Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
MiB1213
 
MiB1213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Default Mega hex tiles

Iím not sure if this was posted prior but are you planning on making available for purchase packs of the mega hex tiles like the ones from the Legacy Edition?
__________________
~~The Illuminati is your friend~~
MiB1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Mega hex tiles

Decks of Destiny will have quite a few, and Adventures has some. I am not sure whether the original set will ever be offered as a stand alone item again, but I got a full extra set as an add-on when I bought the Legacy Edition boxed set. I doubt this is still possible. My general advice is to buy every official MH and counter offering you can get your hands on.

I'm sort of on the fence about the third party MH's and counters (e.g., for the '4 Adventures' product that will be shipping this fall. They look cool, but also are quite different in graphic design from the SJG products.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: Mega hex tiles

Hopefully they will eventually (post-Kickstarter frenzy) publish the PDFs of the megahexes... then people could make as many of their own as they want.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
MiB1213
 
MiB1213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Default Re: Mega hex tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Decks of Destiny will have quite a few, and Adventures has some. I am not sure whether the original set will ever be offered as a stand alone item again, but I got a full extra set as an add-on when I bought the Legacy Edition boxed set. I doubt this is still possible. My general advice is to buy every official MH and counter offering you can get your hands on.

I'm sort of on the fence about the third party MH's and counters (e.g., for the '4 Adventures' product that will be shipping this fall. They look cool, but also are quite different in graphic design from the SJG products.
I have the ones from TFT Adventures and they are nice. In a game recently the group wanted to leave the map assembled on the table as they explore. I had to explain that I didnít have enough components to do that which was what made me ask if they may be sold as a separate set.
__________________
~~The Illuminati is your friend~~
MiB1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: Mega hex tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
I have the ones from TFT Adventures and they are nice. In a game recently the group wanted to leave the map assembled on the table as they explore. I had to explain that I didnít have enough components to do that which was what made me ask if they may be sold as a separate set.
Yeah, totally.

There's a magic available in laying out hexes and counters all the time (not just for combat). It can add a fun whole other element to play, and I've seen many new-to-playing-with-a-map players get into it immediately. I've even not had to do much as GM for entire sessions, as the players get up to hijinks on a map of where they are, moving their figures around to socialize and sneak around, passing me notes, teasing each other, plotting, etc.

Running a whole labyrinth exploration constantly on megahexes can be really fun and engaging. If you just photocopy or print out megahexes (as was suggested in the original games), you can have as many as you want, though unless you use a heavy backing, paper megahexes can be easy to accidentally bump out of place.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Mega hex tiles

I have found it transformative to the overall experience of table top gaming that I can lay out extensive sections of dungeons on the table. People with really good Dwarven Forge collections have been doing things like this for years, but the TFT approach democratizes the process (i.e., because the components are relatively cheap and come 'standard' to the game). They also speed it up and make it more flexible. It is pretty easy to fish into your MH collection an pull out tiles, and if you have been keeping up with the offerings you already have a good sized selection. It should be an outstanding selection once DoD ships.

Even though the game components are 2D and mostly line art, I think the 'look' is good on the table. And I find everyone is much more engaged by the action, and feels freer to play as they wish, as compared to the classic theater of the mind approach, or even marching mini's around a table top. There is something empowering about continuously viewing your character in a well defined, consistently scaled table top diorama.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
Skarg
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default Re: Mega hex tiles

... And there is something more in not only viewing it, but having a tactical game going on where your movement choices are vital to your fate, affecting outcomes in logical ways players can see on the table. Most players who haven't played TFT or GURPS haven't experienced that, and to me, that's the best thing about TFT, and why I haven't ever felt satisfied playing non-SJ RPGs (other designers' games don't have mapped tactical combat systems that feel right - combat in them is much more determined by what level you are, what spell you can cast or during-combat healing effect you can do, what magic items you have, and/or how enormous your pile of slowly-eroding hitpoints is).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.
 
philreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Mega hex tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
Iím not sure if this was posted prior but are you planning on making available for purchase packs of the mega hex tiles like the ones from the Legacy Edition?
There may be some in the Hexagram #3 BackerKit or on Warehouse 23 in the future. We've only recently received our inventory from the previous fulfillment warehouse and we have to count everything.

Hexagram #3 is now live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-fantasy-trip
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Mega hex tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
... And there is something more in not only viewing it, but having a tactical game going on where your movement choices are vital to your fate, affecting outcomes in logical ways players can see on the table. Most players who haven't played TFT or GURPS haven't experienced that, and to me, that's the best thing about TFT, and why I haven't ever felt satisfied playing non-SJ RPGs (other designers' games don't have mapped tactical combat systems that feel right - combat in them is much more determined by what level you are, what spell you can cast or during-combat healing effect you can do, what magic items you have, and/or how enormous your pile of slowly-eroding hitpoints is).
Indeed. That sense of empowerment and critical decision making extends out of combat as well. The 'exploration' game is perhaps even more impacted by MH tiles: instead of saying 'I search the room' and the GM deciding whether or not to have you stumble across a trap, you are making your own specific choices about which hex you step into, how you are facing, etc., and the game map will decide your fate.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:03 AM   #10
ParadoxGames
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New Jersey
Default Re: Mega hex tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Running a whole labyrinth exploration constantly on megahexes can be really fun and engaging. If you just photocopy or print out megahexes (as was suggested in the original games), you can have as many as you want, though unless you use a heavy backing, paper megahexes can be easy to accidentally bump out of place.
If you own the PDFs, it is an easy matter. To make them thick, glue them onto matte board or (cheaper solution) foam board. Rubber cement works but a spray makes an even coat. Dollar Tree sells 20x30" foam boards for $1, as opposed to Staples' $8 24x36" boards.
__________________
Daring adventurers are invited to join The Fantasy Trip Discord server: https://discord.gg/Z7AtdCe
Ogre gamers unite: https://discord.gg/VmfVkuh
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hexes, legacy edition, tft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.