Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Weapon Master vs Trained by a Master

After reading through TbaM, I realized that it applies to Melee Weapons... Do these stack, for purposes of Rapid Strikes and Parring? This seems way to good to me...
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Weapon Master vs Trained by a Master

They don't stack in any way. See Martial Arts.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
After reading through TbaM, I realized that it applies to Melee Weapons... Do these stack, for purposes of Rapid Strikes and Parring? This seems way to good to me...
No they don't. I would suggest applying limitations to weapon master if you have both.

"No reduced rapid strike penalty" and "No reduced parry penalty" I would eyeball at -20% each, for a total of -40%.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
No they don't. I would suggest applying limitations to weapon master if you have both.

"No reduced rapid strike penalty" and "No reduced parry penalty" I would eyeball at -20% each, for a total of -40%.
That sounds good, but what about ranged weapons? I think it would be better to put it on TbaM, mostly because (to me) it shouldn't be on there in the first place. What would the reduction be for just weapons?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
That sounds good, but what about ranged weapons? I think it would be better to put it on TbaM, mostly because (to me) it shouldn't be on there in the first place. What would the reduction be for just weapons?
Ranged weapons still can Rapid Strike, and therefore still qualify for the "No Rapid Strike Penalty Reduction" option. See Martial Arts about ranged rapid strikes, including with a bow or a mittfull of shuriken.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Ranged weapons still can Rapid Strike, and therefore still qualify for the "No Rapid Strike Penalty Reduction" option. See Martial Arts about ranged rapid strikes, including with a bow or a mittfull of shuriken.
That's actually what I was pointing out, which is why I thought it would be better to put it on TbaM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
B9anders

Quote:
That's actually what I was pointing out, which is why I thought it would be better to put it on TbaM.
The whole point of Trained by a Master is to get rapid strike and multiple parry bonuses that apply to all combat skills.Take these two benefits away from Trained by a Master and all you have is a hugely expensive Unusual Background for being able to buy cinematic skills.

If you don't want it to apply to all combat skills, simply don't take TbaM and go for Weapon Master with the weapons you want it applied to instead.

Combining TbaM with WM is only really a consideration for those who want all the benefits from Trained by a Master but also want the damage bonus from WM for their weapons of choice. In which case, you should put the limitations on WM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
The whole point of Trained by a Master is to get rapid strike and multiple parry bonuses that apply to all combat skills.Take these two benefits away from Trained by a Master and all you have is a hugely expensive Unusual Background for being able to buy cinematic skills.

If you don't want it to apply to all combat skills, simply don't take TbaM and go for Weapon Master with the weapons you want it applied to instead.

Combining TbaM with WM is only really a consideration for those who want all the benefits from Trained by a Master but also want the damage bonus from WM for their weapons of choice. In which case, you should put the limitations on WM.
Sorry, I should make myself more clear. I specifically don't want TbaM to apply to melee weapons. As a GM, I almost want to make it so it doesn't in any campaign, but I don't know a fair cost. If I put the limitations on WM, then I don't get the rapid strike bonus for ranged weapons.

I'm thinking it would be -25% for TbaM to not give anything for weapons. WM should be the one doing that.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
starslayer

Quote:
Sorry, I should make myself more clear. I specifically don't want TbaM to apply to melee weapons. As a GM, I almost want to make it so it doesn't in any campaign, but I don't know a fair cost. If I put the limitations on WM, then I don't get the rapid strike bonus for ranged weapons.

I'm thinking it would be -25% for TbaM to not give anything for weapons. WM should be the one doing that.
Ok- this is a really simple one then;

Subtract the cost of weapon master from trained by a master.

So trained by a master: 20 points (Does not cover weapons)
Weapon master 20 points.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
B9anders

Quote:

Let me see if I get this straight:

You want Rapid strike and parry bonus to apply to unarmed combat and whatever weapons you are a weapon master in and nothing else?

If so, I'd forget my previous suggestions and throw an "Unarmed Only" limitation on TbaM instead. -40% or possibly even -50%.

edit: I'd probably got for -50%.

Last edited by B9anders; 10-24-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Tags
trained by a master, weapon master