Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Agent

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It's a fairly critical skill to a group of modern spies. It simply doesn't exist when I run fantasy campaigns, though!
Any conceivable fantasy setting, or Dungeon Fantasy in particular? I can understand the last but I would think it believable for large guilds, maybe churches, and such in some low TL settings.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #12
Kilmore

I would think it fair to say that the Administration skill has existed in one form or another since the middle Stone Age or so. It's probably been around ever since the chief found that he had to put food into over two hundred hungry mouths, and bring goods from one village to another. Alphabets and numbers were created for the Administration skill. The question is, were they made to make Administration easier, or was Administration born as soon as letters and numbers were created?
Kilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Not

Watch a troop of chimps at the zoo distribute a pile of bananas and you'll see use of the administration skill.
Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
Vilobion

I'd allow Administration rolls to possibly learn/discern weaknesses within a group's hierarchy. (Kill the CFO's head secretary and his work grinds to a halt...)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Watch a troop of chimps at the zoo distribute a pile of bananas and you'll see use of the administration skill.
I think that's more Politics.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post

Any conceivable fantasy setting, or Dungeon Fantasy in particular? I can understand the last but I would think it believable for large guilds, maybe churches, and such in some low TL settings.
Sure, NPCs have it for those reasons . . . but my players are happy enough to play murderhobos, so there's really no need for PCs to have it. However, it would have been clearer had I appended ". . . for PCs."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #17
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post
Cherry Blossom Rain was fantasy and used Administration, but we used Mass Combat regularly, as a major feature of the campaign, and so logistics mattered. I also like games that feature domain management, so I would imagine a game like Birthright would feature Administration. A social/political intrigue, even without domain management, like Game of Thrones, would probably feature it as well.

Murderhobos don't need it though. Merchant, on the other hand... ah, but that's for another week.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 AM   #18
Otaku

The Administration Skill reminds me that bureaucracies were actually created to be an improvement over what preceded them; often a messy system with an unclear authority hierarchy. As such, it can be a useful Skill when even a murderhobo needs to know who it is most effective to threaten to get things done... and in some (mostly comic relief) situations, if causing them additional paperwork is a more effective threat than resorting to violence and theft. ;)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #19
Gnome

I've seen Administration used mostly as one of many "searching a room" skills. If you're searching someone's office for relevant documentation, searching a file cabinet for anything "suspicious," searching a desk for evidence, etc., Administration might be the right skill, along with the ones Kromm listed in this legendary post.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #20
Not

Are we going alphabetically? It'll take years to cycle through...
Not is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
administration, basic, skill of the week, skills