Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-07-2022, 12:37 AM   #1
maxterdragon2949

Default Inquiring minds want to know about PROMOS!!!

Hello! New member to the forums and recent attendee to Fnod Con 5! After a wonderful experience it had me wondering about something. Is there any hopes for a new generation of wonderful promo items? I know with the world in a bowl of heck at the moment pricing for real items that are not cards or bookmarks are through the roof. It seems every day I learn about a new Sherpa or wristband and think that Munchkin fans fall into 2 camps. The ones old and lucky enough to be on W23 when they dropped, and the new members learning about back alley eBay auctions and scouring these very forums for whispers of their locations. So my question, or hope really, is that a new batch or wave of rule crushing phyiscal goodies happen to spring forth from the almighty Munchkinly minds the People behind darken curtain. As always #BringbackSpikeBoots
maxterdragon2949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
mabhatter

Default Re: Inquiring minds want to know about PROMOS!!!

A lot of things are just that, promos. SJG got a good deal on swag 5 years ago so they put Munchkins on it. The costs to order a lot of that stuff have increased a lot. Lots of promos are just SJG trying out a new supplier so they send over some test products to use for con swag. Even before Covid they were backing off the promo accessories and special rule things.

There's a handful of Munchkin promo cards and bookmarks on W23 and attached to SJG kickstarters. That will get you started. I've noticed a lot of very small run stuff is showing up in the short Kickstarters they do, probably because of limited runs. Don't get too worried about promos. There will be more of them and you'll get your chance.
mabhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:19 PM   #3
maxterdragon2949

I am fully aware that the items are meant to be of a promotional and limited nature. I also get that prices for everything (including the nature of having Munchkin on things) has increased dramatically. My post was really meant less of "I WANT ALL THE GOODIES!" and more so "Lets bring back the good ol' days for awesome merch!" Granted gun to my head I would totally want all the goodies. I feel even Kickstarter is a great avenue for it. Have a selection of items that have been tossed around, or even ask for fan input on what they would want. Munchkin fans seem more than willing to vote with their wallets about what they would and wouldn't want.

I am fully able to drop the point, I just get hit with the nostalgia bat every time you do a google search and notice another awesome yet cryptic item tied to the 20 years of Munchkin. I feel almost like Munchkin merch is similar to The Lost Room. Great show if you haven't seen it.
#BringbackSpikeBoots
maxterdragon2949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:14 PM   #4
pmpappas

When it comes to promos, all Munchkins can relate to; “We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious." and I see no need for you or any other Munchkin to apologize for it! ;-)

Yes, for many reasons the golden age of Munchkin promos MAY be behind us, but there is still much precious to be had. Recent Kickstarter's have been rife with promos as incentives to purchase other items like dice. Promos are also released for and sometimes with new Munchkin items. Bundles of both old and new promos have been released on Kickstarter's and later Warehouse 23. And of course Warehouse 23 includes promos with each order.

As for the older and often more esoteric promos, the chase is part of the fun. Research is a must and patience is a virtue in this regard, as both are required to find and acquire older promos at reasonable prices. The typical sources are forums, eBay, specialty stores (online & physical), and the like. Of course newer promos can be found there as well.

When it comes to seeking promos; "Never give up! Never surrender!" and never apologize for doing so! ;-)

Viva la promos!

"Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater." - Andrew Hackard

Last edited by pmpappas; 05-15-2022 at 06:37 AM.
pmpappas is offline   Reply With Quote