Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
Shadekeep

Default Prootwaddles redux

When I think about Cidri, I tend not to think about prootwaddles (probably not alone in that). But they are canon, so I've been thinking a bit more about how they may interact in various societies.

The only time I've used them in adventure is when a handful of them had been duped into becoming explosive-gem-wearing suicide bombers. Other portrayals seem to center on them being a nuisance in civilised areas. But I was thinking that might not always by the case.

In some societies they might be a fully exploited underclass, handling unskilled work that the rest of society doesn't want to do. Whether they can be sufficiently trained and/or bribed to do this work is a separate issue for the GM, but it seems like someone probably would have worked out a method by now. Other cultures may have found additional ways to use prootwaddles' inborn tendencies to their own advantage.

Given their origins as something of an in-joke, I'm not sure how much prootwaddles can be rehabilitated into a race that every GM will want to use. But I do think there's some scope beyond comic relief or, in my previous utilisation, outright cruelty.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Prootwaddles redux

In our campaigns, the heavily-exploited underclass and frequently enslaved race tended to be the hobgoblins. They have IQ as low as 6, but not maximum 6, and they aren't just jokes with super-annoying behavior (at least, not all of them, the way Prootwaddles are).

There are a few prootwaddle communities in my original TFT campaign... which everyone made a point of avoiding going near, even more than the deadliest places.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
Rolando

I haven't used then but they seems good for dangerous and deadly entertainment.

Deadly arenas with a twisted touch of fun, team sports and stuff like that.

They are ridiculous and no body care about them. The proodwaddles of course think they are stars.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
There are a few prootwaddle communities in my original TFT campaign... which everyone made a point of avoiding going near, even more than the deadliest places.
It always seemed to me that there was something missing from the description of Prootwaddles... some kind of inherent magical or psychic ability that made the other races avoid them. Otherwise, their low intelligence and decent physical traits would make them highly exploitable if not targets for outright subjugation.

They're fun as fodder for comedy or distraction in gameplay, but problematic (as written) from a world-building standpoint.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:16 PM   #5
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
It always seemed to me that there was something missing from the description of Prootwaddles... some kind of inherent magical or psychic ability that made the other races avoid them. Otherwise, their low intelligence and decent physical traits would make them highly exploitable if not targets for outright subjugation.

They're fun as fodder for comedy or distraction in gameplay, but problematic (as written) from a world-building standpoint.
It seems to me that they do have that. The inability to be taught useful talents, or to be organized into doing useful things, without causing even greater frustration.

Of course, GMs can play them how they want, treating the race description as innaccurate for their campaign as desired, and I'm sure people have put them to good use. but all my friends' desires for subhuman amusements in our original TFT campaigns were amply served by the other races, with only very rare actual appearances of an actual Prootwaddle anywhere in range or specific mention.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:00 PM   #6
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
When I think about Cidri, I tend not to think about prootwaddles (probably not alone in that). But they are canon, so I've been thinking a bit more about how they may interact in various societies.

In some societies they might be a fully exploited underclass, handling unskilled work that the rest of society doesn't want to do.
Prootwaddles can sometimes function as the "wise fool" or "jester" character who during encounters can convey certain truths or strange rumors in an adventure without necessarily having them stated outright or necessarily believed. (Indeed, one of my major NPCs has an actual Prootwaddle jester.) Prootwaddles could also sometimes have access to certain occult wisdom that comes from madness, or rather, partial truths and exaggerations.

Prootwaddles likely often are considered too stupid or harmless to worry about, so they might hear things or have access to interesting intelligence. The challenge is to realize that and get them to tell it to you.

Using Shapeshifting to transform an enemy into a Prootwaddle may be an interesting "fate worse than death" to inflict on an enemy. Having survived "seven years turned into a Prootwaddle" or whatever is an interesting origin.

In some cities I could see Prootwaddles as living in slums and engaging in various important tasks otherwise taboo, e.g., disposing of garbage or bodies. I could also see an interesting adventure where the PCs have some reason to interact with them (what if something was lost in the dump or they need to find a body) or where some villains (ghouls, say) are victimizing this group.

Prootwaddles are presumably decent at hunting and foraging. If in a region where something they might want (e.g., narcotic mushrooms) is also of value, a local community or merchant might make the effort to employ them

A seven samurai adventure in which a village of prootwaddles (perhaps who know something useful, or have a single treasure in their possession) is menaced by monsters or authorities who want to gentrify the area and somehow hire the PCs to defend them could be interesting.

Penny-pinching adventurers might try to hire Prootwaddles as dungeon caddies. It probably won't end well.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #7
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post

The trouble with exploiting prootwaddles is that they are too crazy to be easily dominated or enslaved, and more likely to mess up any attempt to do so. If you kill or torture prootwaddles one-third may regard this as an interesting experience and beg for more of the same, one third begin spitting, singing, frothing, tearing their hair, and dancing madly until killed, and the other third take up improvised weapons and attack in berserk rage.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #8
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
In our campaigns, the heavily-exploited underclass and frequently enslaved race tended to be the hobgoblins.
I use hobgoblins a lot as the underclass of goblin society. They are the guards, soldiers, menials, and labourers of goblin society, freeing the goblins up for more rarefied pursuits and magical endeavours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
In some cities I could see Prootwaddles as living in slums and engaging in various important tasks otherwise taboo, e.g., disposing of garbage or bodies.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. They would essentially be the "untouchable" lowest caste of a town or culture, relegated to that work no one wants but which they themselves don't mind. Such towns might even have a Society for the Advancement of Prootwaddles, dedicated to (doomed) attempts to help them rise above their lot.

I can think of a couple ways of rehabilitating the race without breaking canon. One is that there is a tribe of original prootwaddles on some distant island nation which is intelligent and cultured, and that the ones encountered elsewhere are the mad and deficient who are ejected from the nation as part of an almost eugenic purity program by the leaders. Another is that the race is may be laboring under the ancient curse of a demon so that all are born mad, and a powerful wizard might be able to lift this curse and free the race one day.

Thinking more about it, I do like the aboriginal prootwaddle culture notion and might work that into something...
Old 01-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #9
Senturian

A good scenario idea ?

While out on a adventure, the PCs need some extra help right away and the nearest village is of Prootwaddles. Take it or leave it.
Senturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:33 AM   #10
Shadekeep

Ha, that works! ^_^

I'm going to develop the aboriginal prootwaddle idea I mention into an adventure. A lot of material is coming to me now that I think more about it. Hopefully Steve won't object too much to what I do with his wayward children.