Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #41
JLV

Default Re: Share your settings for TFT

I like that. Sort of a "Waterdeep comes to Cidri" effect. I hope to hear more about it in the future!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #42
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
There must be something about the zeitgeist that is making us all write up alcoholic master swordsmen!
The Princess Bride.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:25 AM   #43
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
My setting is a coastal city - the city sits in a sheltered harbor on the west coast of a large continent. The northern half of the city is a great sea port, and though the city has its own government, it is actually controlled by a mysterious woman known as the "Green Hag"

the southern part of the city rises from a stretch of pleasant beaches to sea cliff walls.

Under this city is a great mysterious place known as "The Labyrinth"

No one knows exactly where the Labyrinth came from, who built it or why, but entrances to it are scattered all over the city, are hard to find, and usually are only one way - in. Finding your way out takes skill, bravery, planning, and luck.

Great treasures, mysterious artifacts, and strange monsters can be found

In The Labyrinth
Sounds like someone could write some stories in that setting...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #44
Terquem

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Sounds like someone could write some stories in that setting...
Your support for my writings is really touching. Thank you. I mean that.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #45
robertsconley

A lot of TFT fans tell me they find Blackmarsh is useful and it is free to use in both sense of the word. The creative commons option was placed to help fans of GURPS in light of SJ Games Fan Policy. It should work just as well for TFT.

http://www.batintheattic.com/downloa...kmarsh_srd.zip

Viz was originally developed in my GURPS campaign and I would use it the same way in TFT. One viz = 1 ST for the purpose of casting or maintaining a spell. Or it worth $100 toward the creation of a magic item.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #46
JLV

I want to personally testify that the Blackmarsh book is a GREAT setting and adventure for use with TFT. Rob also "translated" it into Heroes and Other Worlds terms for use with CR Brandon's TFT clone of that name, so "reverse engineering" that particular version back into TFT terms is a trivial exercise and will result in a VERY nice opening campaign setting for a group of TFT adventurers!

I might also make a pitch for another HOW campaign setting released a while back -- Raedwald. It's set in a fantasy version of the Saxon dark ages and is one of the best written adventure/campaign splat books I've ever had the privilege to read. The book provides a campaign region of fairly rich complexity and starts the players out as "wolfsheads" (people who are just brutal mercenaries for hire and are more or less outcasts from the rest of the culture), which is a tougher, more hostile version of the usual premise for fantasy campaigns. As a bonus, he has two alternate spell casting systems in the book that ought to set everyone's creative juices percolating... Again, a trivial exercise to reverse engineer for use with TFT.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #47
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley View Post
A lot of TFT fans tell me they find Blackmarsh is useful and it is free to use in both sense of the word. The creative commons option was placed to help fans of GURPS in light of SJ Games Fan Policy. It should work just as well for TFT.

http://www.batintheattic.com/downloa...kmarsh_srd.zip

Viz was originally developed in my GURPS campaign and I would use it the same way in TFT. One viz = 1 ST for the purpose of casting or maintaining a spell. Or it worth $100 toward the creation of a magic item.
Rob, I made a google drive folder for this and put a LICENSE file in it with your name and a link to Bat in the Attic Games because I couldn't find your name in the writeup (I found it: it's in small print on page 30). Also, I exported a PDF of the writeup with selectable / searchable text.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #48
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
All the excitement about TFT has me thinking about fun settings for the system - deadly dungeons, grungy cities, mysterious towers... This has always been a game where most such things are DIY rather than commercial products. So let's get a thread going where we can share some of the favorite items from your old folders!
I had a standard Medieval World setting on Cidri, but with a hidden understory.

This is gamed in a Cidri right out of TFT, but with a lost, still operating space station filled with ‘generation ship’ people (sort of a benign FALLOUT). There are a few remnants of Techy’s on the surface of this section of Cidri that have been preserving the technological apparatus, but have not had contact in a very long time: hundreds of years. (Note: the ones who built the space stations were the descendants of Mnoren’s Children.)

- - - - - - - - - - -
Space Station
The Mnoren left this sector a long time ago (1000 years?). However, they left behind two geo-synchronized space stations (self-sustaining nukepowered mini generation ship-type) that had degenerated* technology-wise as the generations passed. A few members on the space-stations still have Psi.

The advanced GURPS Tech Level 9.5 has mostly dropped to Tech Level 8 on the station. Things got forgotten, parts wore out etc. Shuttles broke down and soon physical contact with earth stopped. There are a few additional operational satellites in orbit, but they have been out of communication with the space station for a longtime too. (There are two Space Stations a 1000 miles apart, but have lost communication and hope that the other is all right. They knew each other at one time. This allows the GM flexibility to see how much the stations have devolved from each other and diverged. One could have been a nationalistic station and one an international station, etc.)

Those in space station have tech that makes food, air, recycles metal, manufactures. Over the years many capabilities have devolved. They still know earth because they have electronic data history and long range cameras, but no contact. They maintain 1 earth gravity.

Contact through radio was lost because the earthers really lost the knowledge of how to operate and maintain the instruments. Cidri in this planet area is now GURPS Tech Level 3.75.

-----------------------

Played 3 ways
• The vast majority of this portion of Cidri will never know that there are living people in the asteroid above their heads. They try various means to communicate which affect this portion of Cidri.

• The PCs are just as ignorant as everyone else on this topic, but slowly come into contact with those who are trying to reunite with the space station. [Those people might be a secret tech society, a religious order, an arcane school, a few arch-mages: Whatever the GM thinks would be appropriate after 500 years of devolving.] This would make a good Campaign Game.

• The PCs are from the space station. The station has just recreated a shuttle which has dropped down a scouting party (standard Star Trek party?) and in order to fit in, they are using basic Cidri tools (but for a few handy exceptions.) They now have to find either a group that old guard or a satellite dish that they can repair and power up as the basis for further communication. The radios linked to the space station are very much subject to the ionosphere and other hazards.

If PCs are from the space station, they know a lot more of the Mnoren background, but not what has been happening politically or otherwise on Cidri. They may know where some of the big cities are and other large landmarks, due to their space station cameras.
------------

CIDRI

Earthers now just think of these as small circling celestial bodies.

Depending on what the GM wants:
There is a remnant of high tech & high tech knowledge on earth, harbored by a cadre of secluded groups, some of whom know each other, perhaps help each other or fight each other.

But difficult to use this high tech knowledge because there is no Electricity Tech available and parts are worn out or missing. Knowledge is fragmented.

Tech Wizards – The technology of the Space Station is so advance compared to Cidri that it seems magic. One of the technologies that the space stations commonly had before they devolved was a technological psionics. This was a psi chip implanted in the body that ran off electrical energy from the body (that fatigued a person). The chip was wired to certain parts of the brain to spark the psionic affects.

So how they would go about gaining a Wizard spell is that they would get a chip implant. It takes the same length of time to “learn” the spell (manufacture the chip, fine tuning it to the person), but it has to be installed in a special hospital that does Psi surgery. On Cidri, that would be only the highest, holiest of the cadre.

Those Psi Chip wizards may cast the spell without appearing to move a muscle. He/she does power the spell per usual method, though, including fatigue.

(In my way of thinking, TFT magic is really a pidgin form of Psionics for those who need symbols and actions to make it work. See http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...16#post2202016 #6 for my thoughts on that.)

As mentioned above, the framework setting can be totally background, a revealing story or The Story.

* When I use degenerated or degraded, I am not referring to morals or morale or evolutionary species, I mean that the technology and knowledge they had has become forgotten.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #49
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Rob, I made a google drive folder for this and put a LICENSE file in it with your name and a link to Bat in the Attic Games because I couldn't find your name in the writeup (I found it: it's in small print on page 30). Also, I exported a PDF of the writeup with selectable / searchable text.
Looks good to me. Thanks and spread it far and wide :)

As for my name, I omitted any art which includes the cover page which had my credit leaving only the OGL citation on Page 30. Thanks for pointing that out and adding the License file.

Last edited by robertsconley; 08-15-2018 at 01:22 PM.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #50
Todd Roll

I am running something based in the Dreamlands of HPL. The characters are currently traveling on a caravan through the Jungle of Kled. All the characters except for one are denizens of the Dreamlands. They don't know it but there will be some folks from the waking world scattered about and there are a couple gates that do lead to our world, as well as the moon and Yuggoth.

The tone of the game is more high fantasy rather than the sanity blasting slog you would expect in a Lovecraft inspired game. You won't find the typical Great Old Ones, but you could run into Bast, Nodens, The Black Pharaoh and some other more traditional gods.

There will be ghouls, Men and spiders of Leng, moonbeasts, nightgaunts, the cats of Ulthar and the Mi-Go along with more traditional beast (including octopi).

Cheers,
Todd
Todd Roll is offline   Reply With Quote