Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 03-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #61
Hemlock

Default Re: Stuff I felt should exist....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient Zero
You know, Hitler really did a good job on the Volkswagon
And the Autobahn ain't too shabby either.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #62
Racer

I always thought a version of the Quick Firing 6 Pounder Gun would make a nice CW weapon . 57mm , so less powerful than a Tank Gun but able to use all the different types of ammo it can . Judging by it's perfomance in the Desert , I'd give it a 'to hit' of 8 .

I'll cook up some stats ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_6_pounder
Old 10-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #63
Jeffr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient Zero View Post
You know, Hitler really did a good job on the Volkswagon
I saw an article saying that a Jew engineered the VW... and that Porche may have 'borrowed' some design concepts from him while Hitler had him arrested by the gestapo.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #64
DSumner

Hyper Velocity Missiles (HVM): To Hit 9, 3d6+6 damage, 2DP, Cost $500, Weight 125 lbs. 1 space, 1-shot weapon. No burst effect.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"

Last edited by DSumner; 03-15-2010 at 01:38 AM.
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:34 AM   #65
chaoticsyst3m

Anti-Missile Laser (AML) - To-hit 6, 1 hit damage, $1,500, 75 lbs., 1 space, 1 DP. Area effect. If linked to an ATAD, an anti-missile laser will automatically fire at incoming rockets and guided missiles. The first time each turn a rocket or guided missile is fired at a car with an ATAD-linked anti-missile laser, roll 1d6. On a roll of 1 to 4, the laser does 1 damage to the rocket or missile (probably destroying it). If mounted in a turret, an anti-missile laser will not fire at incoming projectiles if any other weapons in the turret are fired in the same turn. An anti-missile laser drains 1/2 power unit per shot. It can be made infrared but not pulse.

Metal Storm Gun (MSG) - To-hit 7, 1d damage, $3,500, 500 lbs., 3 spaces, 4 DP, 20 shots, CPS 50, WPS 2.5. Area effect. A metal storm gun can fire up to four shots in one firing action. Roll separately to hit with each shot. A metal storm gun stops working if the power plant is destroyed.

Concept: A four-barrel gun that fires 7.62mm bullets using Metal Storm technology. The bullets and propellant are preloaded into the barrels and fired electronically. There is no hammer ignition, no automatic feed, and no casing ejection system giving this weapon a highly favorable weight-to-damage ratio. Once empty, the barrels are reloaded from the back with "stacks" of bullets.

Thermobaric Rocket (TR) - To-hit 9, no damage, $600, 100 lbs., 1 space, 1 DP, 1 shot. A thermobaric rocket creates a 1" x 1" flame cloud counter centered on its point of impact.

Electronic Stability Control (ESC) - $500. If you fail a Control Roll for a maneuver, this system immediately decelerates your car 5 mph and subtracts 1 from the Crash Modifier. ESC can be switched on or off as a firing action and requires an antilock braking system.

Concept: When ESC detects a loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to individual wheels to counter oversteer or understeer.

Laser-Absorbing Paint - $150 per armor facing. Rockets guided by a targeting laser miss a vehicle coated with laser-absorbing paint on a roll of 6 or less (instead of on a roll of 2 or 3). Laser-absorbing paint does not protect breached armor locations.

Concept: A special paint that doesn't reflect laser light very well is applied to the vehicle, making it more difficult for laser-guided munitions to find their target. It only works against targeting lasers because damage dealing lasers burn through the paint and reflect off the armor underneath.

Tire Inflation System (TIS) - $300 and 25 lbs. per tire. A tire inflation system must be mounted on all tires to be effective. It reduces the difficulty of maneuvering on mud, sand, and snow by D1. At the end of each phase, restore 1 DP to each tire that was damaged that phase. A tire inflation system doesn't restore DP to a destroyed tire, a solid or plasticore tire, or a tire retaining damage taken in a previous phase.

Concept: This system will reduce tire pressure to optimize handling on soft terrain and will maintain tire pressure until small leaks can be fixed.

Ultracapacitor - $1,250, 100 lbs., 2 spaces, 1 DP. An activated ultracapacitor increases a car's acceleration by 5 mph and its top speed by 25 mph. It can be used for five turns before it needs to be recharged. Activating or deactivating an ultracapacitor is a firing action. If a car is traveling above it's normal top speed when an ultracapacitor is deactivated or its charge is used up, it decelerates 10 mph per turn until it is at or below its top speed. A car can have only one ultracapacitor, and it must be installed in the back motor location. The speed boost provided by an ultracapacitor is not cumulative with nitrous oxide or ISCs. Recharging an ultracapacitor takes five minutes and costs $25.

Concept: An electric double-layer capacitor that transfers energy to an electric motor attached to the vehicle's rear axle, providing a boost of speed. (In the case of motor-in-wheel vehicles, this system adds a rear axle.) Unlike an ISC, this system cannot damage the vehicle's other motors and can be used on internal combustion vehicles. It's limited to one-per-vehicle because putting multiple motors on the rear axle would get silly. Also, there is that "game balance" thing to worry about.

Last edited by chaoticsyst3m; 12-15-2009 at 06:56 AM.
chaoticsyst3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #66
chaoticsyst3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
Acid Cloud Ejector (ACE): 1 hit damage, $1,000, 100 lbs, 1 DP, 2 spaces, 10 Shots, CPS 50, WPS 5, Loaded Cost $1,500 weight 150 lbs. Magazine costs $550, weighs 65lbs. When fired an Acid Cloud Ejector creates what appears to be a normal 1" x ½" cloud of paint, that lasts for 3 turns. Any vehicle, or pedestrian, passing through the cloud is coated with a highly corrosive solvent, that will inflict 1 hit to every exposed vehicle component, and armor location, every turn they're in the cloud, and then for an additional 1d6 turns after passing through the cloud. - Special thanks to kjamma4, for letting me use the "ACE" name
I like the concept for this weapon a lot - a non-incendiary, non-hazard FCE. In fact, I plan on adding it to my variant VDS for the 2060 autoduelling season. (I hope kjamma4 doesn't mind me using name and acronym.) The ACE needs to be "toned down" a little bit, though. I'm thinkin' it should last as long as a paint cloud (1 turn), and deal damage only once after the car leaves the cloud. I'll make it a little cheaper...yeah, that's it...
chaoticsyst3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:49 AM   #67
swordtart

Coming to this very late in the day.

Can I recomend all gas generating grenades use a 1 x 1 counter rather than 1 x 1/2 counter. Most game grenades use this model. Otherwise it become difficult to say what the orientation of that grenades smoke counter should be. This might mean a cooresponding doubling of price etc.

I would like to see generic gas discharging grenades. These cost the same as 2 shots of your favorite gas load (not Heavy Duty). 1 GE 1lb. Gas weapons produce a 1x1" cloud.

Dropped liquid grenades (like the FOJ grenade) produce a 1/2" x 1/2" slick. These cost the same as 2 shots of your favourite liquid.

By these rules the price of gas grenades as listed is correct ($20 for paint and smoke). Tear gas grenades should be double the cost of a regular smoke grenade (by the rule to modify any other type of smoke ammunition to tear gas). The $30 anomaly can be explained as an Uncle Al'ism. Maybe they are overstock. Or maybe they just went up to the $40 they should have been.

The FOJ is as far as I know the only dropped liquid grenade and there is a roughly 3.5-3.6 correlation between the cost of ammunition among the various weapons that can use a FOJ vs regular OJ style load. By my system a OJ grenade would come out $20. Dividing the cost of the FOJ by 3.5 gives $21 so its about right. If the cost of a FOJ were $70 my price point would be spot on. You can explain this away by saying that the origianl FOJ grenade carried a $5 premium as it was a new design. Now the grey imports and generic systems have been developed the price of FOJ grenades have dropped $5.

I don't see this as wildly messing with the economy of the game and it simplifies the development of new grenades immensely.

Want a Flame Cloud Grenade. Easy $120.
Want an Ice grenade. $40.
Acid grenade. $100 (based on the listed ACE cps).
Sticky Foam. $60.
Pyrophoric Oil. $100.
Sticky Foam Neutraliser $100.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #68
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticsyst3m View Post
(I hope kjamma4 doesn't mind me using name and acronym.)
Not at all.

Of coarse this will start a race to provide anti-acid armor, anti-acid "foam", etc.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #69
panaikhan

Fed up with people cyberlinking lasers (and other low to-hit weapons)specifically to target tires, I came up with this idea.
Solid Metal Wheels.
Price: $750. Weight: 150lbs. DP: 5.
They take damage as metal armour, provide the same bonus as tire chains, but lower the HC of any vehicle fitting them by 1.
The price/weight are based on 'mettalicizing' plasticores (if that is a word)
panaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #70
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticsyst3m View Post
I like the concept for this weapon a lot - a non-incendiary, non-hazard FCE. In fact, I plan on adding it to my variant VDS for the 2060 autoduelling season. (I hope kjamma4 doesn't mind me using name and acronym.) The ACE needs to be "toned down" a little bit, though. I'm thinkin' it should last as long as a paint cloud (1 turn), and deal damage only once after the car leaves the cloud. I'll make it a little cheaper...yeah, that's it...
Feel free to use it, and any other item I've posted, as that's the reason I put this stuff here. Also, I've asked before, but I'll do it again. I'm putting together a PDF of these items, and a few others, for anyone who wants it. If you're interested in a copy, shoot me an email, and I'll send it out to you. Also, I've edited a few items from their original postings.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"

Last edited by DSumner; 11-16-2009 at 07:48 PM.
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote