Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #91
DSumner

Default Re: Stuff I felt should exist....

So, besides the one PM I got about a typo, have any of guys spotted any other mistakes? Any comments?

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #92
DocOutlands

other projects have so far interfered with me getting to spend quality time with my copy. grrr.
DocOutlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #93
panaikhan

I love the idea of non-volatile explosives - that will go into my next pen&paper design (unless, of course, Klaus features it in his program with permission?).

A wealth of my own crazy ideas have been posted on this board - sensible ideas, ones that actually fit into the game as written, are far fewer... it's good to get a direction pointer from someone else lol.
panaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #94
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Coming to this very late in the day.

Can I recomend all gas generating grenades use a 1 x 1 counter rather than 1 x 1/2 counter. Most game grenades use this model. Otherwise it become difficult to say what the orientation of that grenades smoke counter should be. This might mean a cooresponding doubling of price etc.

I would like to see generic gas discharging grenades. These cost the same as 2 shots of your favorite gas load (not Heavy Duty). 1 GE 1lb. Gas weapons produce a 1x1" cloud.

Dropped liquid grenades (like the FOJ grenade) produce a 1/2" x 1/2" slick. These cost the same as 2 shots of your favourite liquid.

By these rules the price of gas grenades as listed is correct ($20 for paint and smoke). Tear gas grenades should be double the cost of a regular smoke grenade (by the rule to modify any other type of smoke ammunition to tear gas). The $30 anomaly can be explained as an Uncle Al'ism. Maybe they are overstock. Or maybe they just went up to the $40 they should have been.

The FOJ is as far as I know the only dropped liquid grenade and there is a roughly 3.5-3.6 correlation between the cost of ammunition among the various weapons that can use a FOJ vs regular OJ style load. By my system a OJ grenade would come out $20. Dividing the cost of the FOJ by 3.5 gives $21 so its about right. If the cost of a FOJ were $70 my price point would be spot on. You can explain this away by saying that the origianl FOJ grenade carried a $5 premium as it was a new design. Now the grey imports and generic systems have been developed the price of FOJ grenades have dropped $5.

I don't see this as wildly messing with the economy of the game and it simplifies the development of new grenades immensely.

Want a Flame Cloud Grenade. Easy $120.
Want an Ice grenade. $40.
Acid grenade. $100 (based on the listed ACE cps).
Sticky Foam. $60.
Pyrophoric Oil. $100.
Sticky Foam Neutraliser $100.
I don't know how I missed this the first time around, but your suggestions make sence, so consider them stolen. ;) Although I'll be making a slight name change. I'm going to go with Chemical Grenade and Liquid Chemical Grenade. Sound good?

Last edited by DSumner; 03-12-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #95
DSumner

More stuff for you to play with.

ROCKETS & MISSILES

Dazzle Rounds (DR) - 2x CPS, ½ damage. Volatile. In addition to doing any blast damage, any person within 2'' of a Dazzle Round, when it detonates, is blinded for 1 second, (2 seconds at night). Effects are doubled if the victim is wearing LI goggles. If a character cannot trace line-of-sight to the explosion, he is immune to its effects. For this purpose Smoke will block line-of-sight. The blinding effect is negated by tinted windshields or goggles.

Thermobaric Rocket - To hit 9, 4d damage, 2 DP, $750, 125 lbs., 1 space, 1 shot. Burst effect. Volatile. Does Full damage to target. Does 2d damage to all targets (including vehicles) within a 1” burst radius. Does 2d damage in a 2” burst radius to non-vehicular items.

White Phosphorus (WP) Rocket - To hit 9, 1d damage, 2 DP, $500, 100 lbs., 1 space; 1 shot. Burst effect. Volatile. Does 1d damage to everything within a 2" burst radius (including vehicles). Affected targets may catch fire; fire modifier 3, burn duration 2, A 2" X 2" hot smoke cloud is created on detonation.

Tired of your rockets not having the accuracy you need? Then your prayers have just been answered. Wolfe Aerospace, a division of American Defense Systems (ADS), presents the latest in weapons guidance technology.

Improved Guidance System (IGS) - 3x CPS, +1 to hit. IGS modifications are available for any MNR, LR, MR, HR MML, RL, VFRP, or MFR. IGS is not compatible with other guidance systems, such as Radar or Laser Guidance Links.

SPECIALTY GRENADE LAUNCHER AMMUNITION

The following specialty munitions are only available for hand held, vehicular, automatic, and tripod mounted grenade launchers.

Acid Grenade - CPS 35. 1 hit damage for 1d6 rounds. Full damage to vehicles. No burst effect.

Air Burst Munitions - 2x CPS, +2 to hit, ½ damage (rounded down). Burst effect. Volatile. Only available for grenades with a burst effect. Instead of detonating on impact, the grenade is equipped with a proximity fused warhead that detonates when in close proximity to its target.

Incendiary Grenade - CPS 35. 1d damage. Fire Modifier 2/1. No burst effect.

Thermobaric Grenade - $100. Does 2d damage to pedestrians, half damage to vehicles, within 1/2” of the blast.

DROPPED LIQUIDS

Acid Foam - 5 x CPS, WPS normal. Loaded in a regular Stickyfoam Sprayer. Corrosive Foam can not be mixed with other foam ammunition in the same magazine. Creates what appears to be a standard ½” x 1” stickyfoam counter. Corrosive Foam Looks and acts just like regular Stickyfoam, but any tires coming into contact with it are coated with a solvent that dissolves rubber, doing 1 point of damage every turn, even to solid tires, for six turns, or until the tire disintegrates completely. Plasticore tires will take 4 points of damage before being reduced to bare plastic; damage will then stop.

Explosive Foam - CPS 50, WPS 3, 1D damage, 1” Burst Effect, loaded magazine costs $1,300, weighs 90 lbs. Loaded in a regular Stickyfoam Sprayer. Explosive Foam can not be mixed with other foam ammunition in the same magazine. The sprayer mixes two chemicals to produce a ½”x 1” patch of pressure-sensitive liquid explosive foam. Appears to be a standard ½” x 1” Stickyfoam counter, that won't detonate until the pressure-sensitive microbeads inside are crushed, causing a chemical reaction.

INTERNAL COMBUSTION

Fuel Efficient Engines - 2 x normal cost; same weight; increases gas mileage by 10%.

Last edited by DSumner; 12-29-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #96
DSumner

Default Slippery Foam

Slippery Foam - CPS 50, WPS 5. A gel sprayer mixes two binary chemicals to produce an instant 1" x 1/2" patch of super slick gel. Any vehicle coming into contact with the gel instantly takes a D4 hazard; Any hazard suffered or maneuver performed on the gel adds D6 to the difficulty. The gel is non-flammable. Pedestrians coming into contact must roll an 11 or higher, each phase, to remain standing.

Last edited by DSumner; 03-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 AM   #97
Pacey

Do slippery foam and sticky foam counteract one another?
Pacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #98
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacey View Post
Do slippery foam and sticky foam counteract one another?
Sorry for the delay, I missed your question. As far as the two canceling each other out, I think they would. And if you dumped enough sand on it, you'd be able to drive over it.

Last edited by DSumner; 02-25-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #99
DSumner

Another quick question, any of you guys interested in an updated version of the last PDF I put together?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #100
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouse View Post
I am interested in the above-said PDF. My group and I just picked up car wars recently, so I'm trying to read up on it. A lot of these suggestions make a lot of sense to me. I'm going to borrow a few of them. Especially the grenade idea.
I'll try putting something together over the next day or so. Anyone interested, shoot me a PM with your email address, and I'll get it out to you.