Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #111
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [Supers] Nerfed Marvel Universe

Mister Fantastic

Height: 6’1”
Weight: 180 lb
Hair: Brown, white around the temples
Eyes: Brown
Uniform: Blue bodysuit with black trim and stylized “4” in the center of the chest, black boots, gloves, and belt
Powers: The ability to stretch out his limbs to a length of approximately 15-20 feet and reshape his body into different forms, allowing gliding and bouncing, among other things. High level of durability vs physical attacks. Can reshape his facial features to allow disguise.
Skills: Unparalleled intelligence – if there’s a person on Earth smarter than him, they haven’t yet been able to prove it. Multiple PhDs in different types of physics and engineering. Broad scientific knowledge, with a focus on the academic and theoretical.

Reed Richards’ first memories, from a very young age, were of watching the moon landing on TV. This was the beginning of a lifelong love of space. As he grew up, his incredible intellect became apparent. After skipping several grades in grade and high school, and advancing quickly through college and beyond, Richards got his first PhD (in astrophysics) at the age of 22 and continued his schooling while beginning his career. During his time in higher education, Richards met Ben Grimm, who became his best friend, and Victor Von Doom, who was a friend of his for a time before Von Doom’s incredible jealousy and ego drove the two apart.

Richards became a pioneer in the field of private spaceflight. He initially tried working with NASA, but he couldn’t handle the restrictions inherent in government work. Richards and those working with him were able to make several significant advances in the field, moving toward his ultimate goal of manned flight to (and eventually landing on) Mars and safely returning to Earth. On May 18, 1999 (the 30th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 10), Richards and a skeleton crew launched on a mission to travel to Mars, orbit the planet, and return. The crew consisted of Richards himself, Grimm (the pilot), Richards’ girlfriend Susan Storm (who brought medical and psychological experience), and her younger brother Johnny (who had a high level of natural talent as a mechanic). The mission’s goal was the collection of data and performing of tests that would make a true landing possible in the future. To much fanfare, the ship reached Mars and streamed live (minus a few minutes’ light-lag) footage of the planet back to Earth. During their return journey, the ship passed through a mysterious field of unidentified radiation that shorted out some of the electronics and would later cause massive physical changes to the people inside. It was only thanks to the skill and quick thinking of the crew that they were able to maintain their course back to Earth and the integrity of the ship.

Soon after returning to Earth (to the surprise of the planet, communications hadn’t been a high priority for repair), the crew began manifesting powers as a result of the radiation they’d been subjected to. For Richards, this came in the form of stretching and elasticity. Concerned over the possibility of backlash over their new powers, Richards decided to get out ahead of it by cultivating fame and reputation as a heroic team, which he called the Fantastic Four. Even though there was nothing he could have done to predicted what happened, Richards continues to blame himself for what happened, especially the physical changes caused to his friend Ben Grimm.

Mr. Fantastic [676]

Attributes [170]
ST 10 [0]
DX 13 [60]
IQ 16 [120]
HT 12 [20]
Damage 1d-2/1d
BL 20 lb
HP 10 [0]
Will 13 [-15]
Per 13 [-15]
FP 12 [0]
Basic Speed 6.25 [0]
Basic Move 10 [0]
Dodge 10
SM0 (up to +5 using Stretching)

Advantages [494]
Ambidexterity [5]
Basic Move+4 (Nuisance Effect (Must obviously stretch), -5%; Super, -10%) [17]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Damage Reduction (10; Limited, Physical Attacks, -20%; Super, -10%) [105]
DR15 (Limited (Physical Attacks), -20%; Tough Skin, -40%; Super, -10%) [23]
Double-Jointed (Super, -10%) [14]
Elastic Skin (Reduced Time 1, +20%; No color change, -30%; Super, -10%) [16]
Elasticity Talent 4 [20]
Fit [5]
Flight (Gliding Only, -50%; Super, -10%) [16]
Independent Income 8 [8]
Injury Tolerance (Unbreakable Bones; Super, -10%) [9]
Intuitive Mathematician [5]
Lifting ST+20 (Nuisance Effect (Must obviously stretch), -5%; Super, -10%) [51]
Natural Scientist 4 [40]
Photographic Memory [10]
Signature Gear 30 [30]
Single-Minded [5]
Status 2 [5] ¹
Stretching 5 (Super, -10%) [27]
Super Jump 4 (Bouncing Only, -50%; Super, -10%) [16]
Super Throw 2 (Nuisance Effect (Must obviously stretch), -5%; Super, -10%) [17]
Versatile [5]
Wealth (Very Wealthy) [30]

Perks [1]
Supersuit [1]

Disadvantages [-75]
Clueless [-10]
Curious (12) [-5]
Dependent (Franklin Richards; Built on 0 points or less; 6 or less; Loved one) [-15]
Enemy (Doctor Doom, 100%, 9 or less, Hunter) [-10]
Guilt Complex [-5]
Honesty (15) [-5]
Oblivious [-5]
Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]
Sense of Duty (Teammates) [-5]
Workaholic [-5]

Quirks [-5]
Careful [-1]
Distinctive Features (White streaks in hair) [-1]
Dual Identity [-1]
Talkative [-1]
Unintentionally condescending [-1]

Skills [91]
Acrobatics-12 [2]
Aerobatics-11 [1]
Area Knowledge (Earth)-16 [1]
Area Knowledge (New York City)-16 [1]
Area Knowledge (USA)-16 [1]
Astronomy/TL8-20 [4] ²
Brawling-15 [4]
Chemistry/TL8-18 [1] ²
Climbing-17 [1] ³
Computer Operation/TL8-16 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Business)-16 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News)-16 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Politics)-16 [1]
Current Affairs (Science and Technology)-17 [2]
Disguise-18 [1] ⁴
Driving/TL8 (Automobile)-12 [1]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Communication)-15 [1]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Medical)-15 [1]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Scientific)-16 [2]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Sensors)-15 [1]
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Communications)-15 [1]
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Medical)-15 [1]
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Scientific)-16 [2]
Engineer/TL8 (Electronics)-14 [1]
Engineer/TL8 (Materials)-15 [2]
Engineer/TL8 (Spaceships)-18 [12]
Escape-16 [1] ³
First Aid/TL8-16 [1]
Free Fall-13 [2]
Geography/TL8 (Physical)-15 [2]
Geology/TL8 (Earthlike)-18 [1] ²
Geology/TL8 (Rock Worlds)-18 [1] ²
Intelligence Analysis/TL8-15 [2]
Jumping-14 [2]
Leadership-15 [1]
Machinist/TL8-16 [2]
Mathematics/TL8 (Applied)-20 [4] ²
Mathematics/TL8 (Pure)-15 [2]
Mathematics/TL8 (Statistics)-18 [1] ²
Navigation/TL8 (Space)-15 [1]
Physics/TL8-18 [2] ²
Public Speaking-15 [1]
Research/TL8-16 [2]
Shiphandling/TL8 (Spaceship)-14 [1]
Spacer/TL8-16 [1]
Stealth-12 [1]
Swimming-12 [1]
Teaching-15 [1]
Vacc Suit/TL8-13 [2]
Weird Science-14 [2]
Wrestling-14 [4]
Writing-16 [2]

1 – includes +1 from Wealth (Very Wealthy)
2 – includes +4 from Natural Scientist
3 – includes +5 from Double-Jointed
4 – includes +4 from Elastic Skin

Reed’s Signature Gear is left somewhat vaguely defined. It includes the Fantasticar (not a flying car, just a very nice normal one in this setting, I’ll post stats at some point) and a good computer, but beyond that, it’s left up to the discretion of the hypothetical player and GM.

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 08-04-2020 at 05:53 AM.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:19 PM   #112
awesomenessofme1

I can't help but feel like I've made Reed a little underpowered. If anyone has suggestions for skills or advantages it would make sense to upgrade or add, feel free to say. (Plus, as always, any other feedback would also be appreciated.)
Old 07-31-2020, 07:16 PM   #113
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I can't help but feel like I've made Reed a little underpowered. If anyone has suggestions for skills or advantages it would make sense to upgrade or add, feel free to say. (Plus, as always, any other feedback would also be appreciated.)
He needs Gadgeteer and an infrequent but powerful Gizmos. It might not be wrong to give him a personal +1 TL and some Signature Gear.

I guess you haven't been typically applying Allies to these builds, but if there's a case for an exception its Reed and Sue.

He also really has more Enemies.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:23 PM   #114
David Johnston2

Quote:
His wrestling should be way higher. Also getting him lifting strength to wrestle with might be appropriate.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #115
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Iron Man
...DR40 (Hardened 2, +40%; Can’t wear armor, -40%; Armor, -55%) [90]
Enhanced Move (Air) 4 ( Flight System, -55%) [36]
I hate to say it but given all the stuff that suit goes through, even if we wanted to suspend belief, DR40 does not cut it. It would be more like 140 with hardened (5).

BTW where is the Armour limitation?

Similar with the Enhanced Move, there is a problem when speeds reach supersonic, it can't be done if the vehicle is not streamlined properly.

We meet the balance between the fictional world and the roleplaying world. You can do X in fictional world but most likely X-1 in roleplaying. To mimic is hard but to pay homage to is a lot easier.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:05 PM   #116
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
He needs Gadgeteer and an infrequent but powerful Gizmos. It might not be wrong to give him a personal +1 TL and some Signature Gear.
I thought about Gadgeteer, but decided against it. I'll give that another look. Signature Gear is something to consider, but I'd want to have specifics for what it entailed, so that would take a bit of thought. If anyone was going to have TL+1 or wildcard skills in this setting, it'd be Reed, but I decided against it. He is more like late TL8 with a bit of superscience compared to the mid-TL8 the setting takes place in, though.

Quote:
I guess you haven't been typically applying Allies to these builds, but if there's a case for an exception its Reed and Sue.
I figure if he were to show up as a PC in a campaign, she would almost certainly be another one. I'm only planning on using Allies in cases where someone isn't on the same team or would definitely be an NPC.

Quote:
He also really has more Enemies.
Have anyone specific in mind? Per the rules, you can't have more than two Enemies, and I'm not well-versed enough in FF lore to know who'd be the best #2. Would Enemy (Rogue's Gallery) make sense for him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
His wrestling should be way higher. Also getting him lifting strength to wrestle with might be appropriate.
Definitely something to think about. I don't want to give him incredible lifting abilities, though, so what would make sense as a limitation value for Lifting ST (Wrestling Only)?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:11 PM   #117
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
I hate to say it but given all the stuff that suit goes through, even if we wanted to suspend belief, DR40 does not cut it. It would be more like 140 with hardened (5).
Keep in mind, this is a different setting than either the comics or movies, and it's intentionally a weaker setting. I think that DR40 and Damage Reduction (5) would do what I want. My goal for his armor is to fully block small-arms, turn machine guns into scratch damage, and make something like a LAW a survivable, if bad, wound rather than an instagib. If it's not enough to do that, then I'm open to change.

Quote:
BTW where is the Armour limitation?
At the bottom of the statblock, under "List of Gadget Shorthands".

Quote:
Similar with the Enhanced Move, there is a problem when speeds reach supersonic, it can't be done if the vehicle is not streamlined properly.
It's not supersonic. Move 240 is about 500 mph.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:20 PM   #118
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Mister Fantastic

[
Reed Richards’ first memories, from a very young age, were of watching the moon landing on TV.
Does this campaign have a date around 1999 or so? That's when a person who was 6 in 1969 would have an age of 36. He could have been a little younger thna 6. I may remember JFK speaking on TV but there's no guarantee it was live. I do clearly remember the 64 election which was a month or more before my 4th birthday.

If you're shooting for a contemporary date Reed is 56 or 57 and should probably be given Longevity.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:25 PM   #119
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Does this campaign have a date around 1999 or so? That's when a person who was 6 in 1969 would have an age of 36. He could have been a little younger thna 6. I may remember JFK speaking on TV but there's no guarantee it was live. I do clearly remember the 64 election which was a month or more before my 4th birthday.

If you're shooting for a contemporary date Reed is 56 or 57 and should probably be given Longevity.
As I said in the original post, the current day is 2004 and the FF's origin happened in 1999. When I said very young, I meant very young. For someone with IQ16 and Photographic Memory, I figure having one clear memory from the first few years of life is plausible, especially when it was life-shaping for him.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:29 PM   #120
Donny Brook

Quote:
I thought about Gadgeteer, but decided against it. I'll give that another look. Signature Gear is something to consider, but I'd want to have specifics for what it entailed, so that would take a bit of thought. If anyone was going to have TL+1 or wildcard skills in this setting, it'd be Reed, but I decided against it. He is more like late TL8 with a bit of superscience compared to the mid-TL8 the setting takes place in, though.
This list speaks to Gadgeteer and TL questions:
https://www.cbr.com/reed-richards-powerful-inventions/

On that list, The Bridge is a recurring device for Sig Gear. Also, the Fantasticar, and all four have a Uniform Computer built into their Costumes.

Quote:
Have anyone specific in mind? Per the rules, you can't have more than two Enemies, and I'm not well-versed enough in FF lore to know who'd be the best #2.
Galactus, 6-.

Quote:
Would Enemy (Rogue's Gallery) make sense for him?
I wouldn't go that way for Reed. (For Spider-man, yes.)

Oh! It just occurred to me. He should have Binding (Melee Attack).
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom setting, marvel, supers