Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #21
Keiko
Banned

Default Re: [SE] Sanitized Metabolism: how useful is +1 in in 'close confines', like 'elevato

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
A note:
People seem to be overly focused on the sense of smell only. But Sanitised Metabolism, unlike a different Perk, isn't restricted to scent - it includes an explicit mention of a (more) perfect skin, at the very least.

As a comparison, there's the Perfume perk, which just gives '+1 on reaction rolls where a
pleasant smell makes a difference'. So it seems that Perfume has a wider application than Sanitized Metabolism. I'm not sure how to measure either.
Perfume means you smell nice, SM means you don't smell bad. The first is going to appeal to people that enjoy your smell even in open areas. The other is going to make you more pleasant to be around in close quarters and, like you mention, has effects besides smell (no acne or blemishes, no flatulence or body waste smells, sweat stains and scent can overwhelm perfume, etc).

I think the focus on smells comes from the fact that smell is a large social issue for most people. Its more offensive for many to be smelly than disheveled and odor has a greater impact on our reaction than many humans give it credit for. Look at how many hygiene products are focused on reducing, covering up or eliminating body odors.

Last edited by Keiko; 12-21-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #22
wellspring

Default Re: [SE] Sanitized Metabolism: how useful is +1 in in 'close confines', like 'elevato

I've been roleplaying for more than 20 years, and I don't think I've ever applied a penalty to players for doing the things that adventurers do.

Go through your gear list right now. Anybody see soap? A towel? Well, maybe you have a towel, at least it's a sci fi game. But seriously, considering all the time we spend in most games, even modern ones, marching in hot, sweaty armor, fighting, pooping in the woods, etc etc etc, we really should be taking diplomacy penalties.

So yeah it's a mitigated penalty IMO, but it's mitigating a penalty that we never bother to apply. I treat it as equivalent to SOP: Keeps Clean. I even modded the Elf racial template to include it, on the grounds that I've never seen a smelly Elf with bad breath or bad skin.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #23
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
Go through your gear list right now. Anybody see soap? A towel? Well, maybe you have a towel, at least it's a sci fi game. But seriously, considering all the time we spend in most games, even modern ones, marching in hot, sweaty armor, fighting, pooping in the woods, etc etc etc, we really should be taking diplomacy penalties.
/me raises a hand. Towel, soap, grooming kit (expensive, rugged), sewing kit, insect repellent, a set of spare clothes and shoes for each relevant temperature class.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #24
wellspring

Quote:
/me raises a hand. Towel, soap, grooming kit (expensive, rugged), sewing kit, insect repellent, a set of spare clothes and shoes for each relevant temperature class.
OMG I knew I shouldn't have asked this on a gurps forum. ;)
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Similar for my D&D characters as a teen. I even made sure to have a bag of munching nuts on hand, especially for large PCs. They don't always have time for a full campfire and hot meals.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #26
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Go through your gear list right now. Anybody see soap? A towel?
I usually have my characters carry some provisions for hygiene if they expect to be wandering away from civilization: soap, some rags which with clean packing can be used for menses with a comb and some perfume or the like at least be little more presentable quickly if need be.

Of course it varies depending on the character's personality.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #27
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
I usually have my characters carry some provisions for hygiene if they expect to be wandering away from civilization: soap, some rags which with clean packing can be used for menses with a comb and some perfume or the like at least be little more presentable quickly if need be.
Speaking of which, I kinda assumed this is included in a grooming kit
('A leather Gladstone, vanity, or toilet
bag holding comb, hairbrush, razor,
toothbrush, soap, aftershave, shoe-
polish kit, etc.')

Then again, minimising the penalties/problems of lacking many of those items is what Sanitized Metabolism does.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #28
Gold & Appel Inc

One time I was playing a guy with Obsession (Personal Hygiene) (15-) [-2] in a supers game run by Mark Skarr, and we got into a fight with like 20 guys and some giant sapient gorillas that turned into a ridiculous bloodbath. I rolled exactly 16 on my self control roll, ripped off my clothes, and headed straight for the bathroom while everybody else was trying to perform First Aid on Doug's character and/or scram.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 12-21-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

My housemate has Squeamishness, and it can pop up in unexpected ways some time.
I can't so much as check my blood sugar near her because of the microdot of blood, for example.
Weirdly, I'm the one prone to taking two showers per day. If I try to sleep without having had a shower within an hour or two, I feel as if covered in gritty oil. I feel normal standing up, but the moment I lie down...
Old 12-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #30
Otaku

Quote:
Go through your gear list right now. Anybody see soap? A towel?
Quote:
...I kinda assumed this is included in a grooming kit
('A leather Gladstone, vanity, or toilet
bag holding comb, hairbrush, razor,
toothbrush, soap, aftershave, shoe-
polish kit, etc.')
Plus the above is for characters in settings where it isn't just a part of hotel room service. "Gear lists" are usually for what you're actually carrying; bringing such toiletries even knowing the GM is likely to separate you from the supplies back at home or a hotel or even base camp is a luxury we can't afford... and in those games, one is either supposed to waive such concerns or apply them, as the story warrants.

This is another place where Sanitized Metabolism probably should help, though the obscurity doesn't warrant a price hike or the like. If you're an adventurer of some sort and you just haven't had a chance to stay well groomed, the effects are going to be a lot less problematic if you've got a Sanitized Metabolism.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sanitized metabolism, social engineering