Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Sindri

Default Long Term Relationships

In the process of putting together house rules for social stuff my eye now turns to long term relationships.

What are your impressions of Social Engineering's Continuing Relationships?

What house rule have you come up with for this sort of thing?
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
RGTraynor

Default Re: Long Term Relationships

None whatsoever. I don't feel the need to subject character or NPC long term relationships to rule mechanics. Either they're in one or they're not, either they're stable or they're not.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
None whatsoever. I don't feel the need to subject character or NPC long term relationships to rule mechanics. Either they're in one or they're not, either they're stable or they're not.
That's fine.

I'm not really interested in debating whether rules for long term loyalty, trust and whatnot are necessary, just in seeing what people who do think they would be useful have come up with.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
How do you decide whether they're long-term/stable, or not? Ignore all the game-mechanical traits that influence the decision, and go by player skill alone?
Old 12-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Not

Terrible idea. Cuts into game time. Sorry, what was the question?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Toptomcat

Quote:
To the extent that you don't use the rules for Allies, Patrons, Contacts, and other social Advantages and Disadvantages?
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

I don't see a need for special rules governing long-term relationships. A steady romantic partner can be anything from an Ally or Patron, to a Dependent, to an outright Enemy, and/or be the object of a Sense of Duty or Obsession, or nothing at all in game-mechanical terms, if they're an NPC, and are probably going to ignore stats and do what they want on this one no matter how good they are at playing otherwise if they're both PCs.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I don't see a need for special rules governing long-term relationships. A steady romantic partner can be anything from an Ally or Patron, to a Dependent, to an outright Enemy, and/or be the object of a Sense of Duty or Obsession, or nothing at all in game-mechanical terms, if they're an NPC, and are probably going to ignore stats and do what they want on this one no matter how good they are at playing otherwise if they're both PCs.
Ally, Patron and Dependent are all special rules governing long term relationships.

I didn't specify romantic relationships. I wasn't using "long term relationships" as a euphemism for romantic relationships, I'm using it to refer to relationships which are long in duration. When I mentioned Social Engineering's Continuing Relationships I meant to refer to that, not to the Courtship subsection. I trusted that this wasn't necessary to point out but apparently it is.

What have people thought of those rules in Social Engineering and especially the Personal Loyalty, Building Trust and Loyalty in Play subsections? Have you made any expansions or tweaks? Do you have another system that you prefer?
Old 12-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
LemmingLord

I haven't seen the social engineering rules, but do love that they expand relationship dynamics.

For those who say no such rules are necessary, I would say, "yes, no rules are necessary... All gurps rules are optional."

Honestly, my current regular group is modern characters trying to make their way in a post apocalyptic world... with hundreds of cliches of survivors with complex allegiances and power struggles.

For me, social engineering rules would be very helpful.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
I haven't seen the social engineering rules, but do love that they expand relationship dynamics.
For context the Continuing Relationships section is basically an expansion of the Loyalty rules although it does also have rules for lower percentage Allies and Dependents.

Tags
ally, contact, continuing relationships, loyalty, social engineering