Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
macphersonrants

Default Real World Tactical Shooters

The Tactical Shooting playtest has gotten me thinking about gunfighters. I'd like to hear who people would include on a list of the toughest gunfighters of the twentieth and twenty-first century. I'm looking for people who actually fought in and survived multiple gunfights- people like Delf "Jelly" Bryce, Frank Hamer, Carlos Hathcock, Audie Murphy, or Bob Howard.

I'd also love to hear what people think made these people exceptional in a fight. This being the GURPS forum, reference in GURPS terms where possible.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
theshadow99

Default Re: Real World Tactical Shooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersonrants View Post
The Tactical Shooting playtest has gotten me thinking about gunfighters. I'd like to hear who people would include on a list of the toughest gunfighters of the twentieth and twenty-first century. I'm looking for people who actually fought in and survived multiple gunfights- people like Delf "Jelly" Bryce, Frank Hamer, Carlos Hathcock, Audie Murphy, or Bob Howard.

I'd also love to hear what people think made these people exceptional in a fight. This being the GURPS forum, reference in GURPS terms where possible.
Carlos Hathcock a former United States Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant sniper who in 1967 set a record for longest-range confirmed sniper kill in history that lasted until 2002. And with a M2 Browning Machine Gun equipped with a Unertl scope. The distance was 2,286 meters (2,500 yards) or 1.42 miles (2.29 km).

I'd say if I was in a fire fight I definitely wouldn't mind having him on my side (though from his younger days, he's not so spry now.)

Btw the end of his military was in style to:
"Hathcock's career as a sniper came to a sudden end outside Khe Sanh in 1969, when an amtrack he was riding on struck an anti-tank mine.[5] Hathcock pulled seven Marines off the flame-engulfed vehicle before jumping to safety. He was told he would be recommended for the Silver Star, but he stated that he had only done what anyone there would had done if they were awake, so he rejected any commendation for his bravery. Nearly 30 years later, he was awarded the Silver Star, the third most prestigious award in U.S. military."
theshadow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
Agemegos

Albert Jacka, an Australian infantryman of WWI. He repeatedly undertook actions of great bravery and prowess with the rifle and bayonet, and several times survived (even kept fighting with) serious wounds. Jacka was decorated for three separate actions (a VC and two MCs): and these were not his only actions of great merit.

Last edited by Agemegos; 05-08-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Anders

These people?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
SimonAce

Jeff Cooper the father of modern pistol shooting

Jim Cirillo

Ed McGivern (actually a sport shooter but a bad azz) his book Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting is amazing
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Agramer

Marko Babić : he destroyed 14 Tanks and numerous armoured vehicles during attack on Vukovar 1991

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
gjc8

From elsewhere in the forums:
Corporal of Horse Craig Harrison
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
kdtipa

Seems you got a pretty good list of people to look at. But you also asked what makes these people survive in a gun fight. This is second hand info, but it makes sense, and you can use it however you like.

Keep moving.

A stationary target is easy to hit. I'm told that if you're in a gun fight close up you need to not be in the same place for very long until the fight is over.

Also, it does not involve aiming or firing with the extended arm or arms. It involves shooting with your elbow near your center of gravity (talking about pistols at this point of course). It may sound weird, but apparently it's the way to go. And don't bother aiming for specific targets... just shoot to hit the person.

I think in game terms, the "moving" part will be the key. I think the rules bear this out to some degree (penalties for hitting a moving target), but there may be more to it than that. In a way, I think just a bit of movement from close up is a way to destroy aim (So perhaps the opponent loses any bonus for aiming when you move). Just a thought.

Last edited by kdtipa; 05-10-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: typos
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
I think in game terms, the "moving" part will be the key. I think the rules bear this out to some degree (penalties for hitting a moving target), but there may be more to it than that. In a way, I think just a bit of movement from close up is a way to destroy aim (So perhaps the opponent loses any bonus for aiming when you move). Just a thought.
Hmm... perhaps if your movement exceeds some fraction of the distance between you it will spoil the aim. This could be 1:1 (so an average character moving at full speed would only spoil aim within 5 yards) or a much smaller ratio (for example at 1:5 he'd only need to Step to spoil aim within 5 yards, and a full move would spoil aim within 25 yards).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
panton41

Richard "Demo Dick" Marcinko. Sure, his fictional persona is a self-named Marty Stu (except everyone other than a select few hates him) but his real life exploits put many action stars to shame.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gunfighters, real world, tactical shooting