Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2022, 07:22 AM   #31
whswhs

Default Re: Vacc Suits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I can also see rescue balls that you curl up in and zip shut in case of emergency and wait for rescue. The city needs life support distribution anyway so having access points to connect suits to for recharge like cities have fire hydrants could also make sense.

I also agree with Housekeeping at a minus for sealing leaks, it does cover basic handyman activities.
I can see a case for that, but more for leaks inside a dwelling than outside. Of course, most of the walkways are down the middle of a tunnel for obvious reasons . . .

The rescue balls are a good idea; I'll have to see if UT has stats. And the access points for air are an even better one.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:03 AM   #32
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That's plausible enough. But is there an existing skill that covers those tasks? Or is it so basic that it would just be an IQ roll?
It depends on how mature the technology is.

If operating life support controls is as easy as adjusting a thermostat or turning on a light switch is for a TL6-8 person then it's an IQ roll at best. Housekeeping covers routine inspection, cleaning, and maintenance of widespread, mature tech (e.g., changing filters or fixing switches). For stuff that isn't as obvious or requires specialized tools or procedures Crewman is required. Area Knowledge might cover knowledge of life support infrastructure and procedures that any local would know (E.g., Location of emergency shelters, or symbols which indicate emergency life support equipment).

Arguably, you could invent a new specialization of Crewman to cover living in a sealed or underground environment module or vehicle in an environment with significant gravity but toxic, high pressure, or otherwise lethal outside environment. It would be analogous to Crewman (Submariner or Spacer).

Last edited by Pursuivant; 01-24-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:11 AM   #33
Pursuivant

Quote:
It does engage my libertarian sympathies, but at the same time it has a lower CR than I would want to live under—which is different from a lot of settings, making it interesting for me, and which offers lots of room for people to have adventures.
Not to get into political debate, but consider that the absolute necessity for early colonists to work together in order to survive and the very high risk that one person's screw-up can get lots of other people killed might result in certain laws and cultural elements which would make a fanatical Stalinist seem like a Laissez-Faire Capitalist.

Basically, "Do whatever you want, but, if you mess with the life support or even look like you're going to do so, the state comes down on you and yours like 100 tonnes of regolith."
Old 01-24-2022, 10:17 AM   #34
Pursuivant

Quote:
Most Portalenhos never or hardly ever go outside; at the altitude of Pavonis Portal, radiation exposure is comparatively high, and a practical suit doesn't give a very high protection factor.
That might reinforce the idea of using walkers or wheeled/tracked vehicles if you're going to be outside of any length of time. Vacc Suits are for short-term use, like making simple repairs, possibly with portable canopies or tents to give extra PF vs. radiation. Walkers are for longer-range travel or longer-term repairs. Heavily-shielded vehicles act as mobile bases for multi-day trips or extended construction or repairs.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:23 AM   #35
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Not to get into political debate, but consider that the absolute necessity for early colonists to work together in order to survive and the very high risk that one person's screw-up can get lots of other people killed might result in certain laws and cultural elements which would make a fanatical Stalinist seem like a Laissez-Faire Capitalist.

Basically, "Do whatever you want, but, if you mess with the life support or even look like you're going to do so, the state comes down on you and yours like 100 tonnes of regolith."
One might expect the first people in to a space outpost would not simply be free and independent citizens. They would far more likely be members of an organization. Possibly a government agency or military arm, possibly a private enterprise. Either way the internal regulation of their group (which they likely joined voluntarily) might be far more rigorous than the state-level regulation of the public.

AIUI whswhs colony isn't in that level of pioneering status anymore so running on a more civilian basis makes sense.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #36
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post

Yes, that's why I specified that the CR is 2 overall, but 3 or 4 for weapons that endanger the sealed environment. And that's if the police find you before the mob does. Endangering the oxygen supply in other ways would like evoke similar reactions.

Old 01-24-2022, 11:19 AM   #37
Pursuivant

Quote:
Yes, that's why I specified that the CR is 2 overall, but 3 or 4 for weapons that endanger the sealed environment. And that's if the police find you before the mob does. Endangering the oxygen supply in other ways would like evoke similar reactions.
That mindset would logically extend to regulations regarding contamination of habitat environments, caustic chemicals or machinery which might breach habitat walls, and similar.

Given the social background, there might also be high CR laws regarding things like public nudity, blasphemy, state-sponsored religions, etc.

Again, not trying to invite political debate, just pointing out potential legal and social contradictions and hypocrisies which will make the culture seem more "real" and give socially-savvy PCs situations they can exploit.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:58 AM   #38
hal

Quote:
In my campaign set on Mars, I had been assuming that people wore the vacc suits in GURPS Ultra-Tech to go outside. But all of those are skintight, using direct pressure on the skin to prevent air loss. The setting of my campaign, Pavonis Portal, is culturally Brazilian and has not undergone 20th-century modernization; women mostly wear skirts or dresses, and even men wear elaborate layered clothes—and there are ideas about modesty that would hinder taking off one's clothes in an emergency to put on a vacc suit.

But I can't see anyplace in either High-Tech or Ultra-Tech that lists the more rigid, less maneuverable vacc suits discussed briefly in Ultra-Tech. Is there a gear listing anywhere for these? How much do they cost, how much do they weigh, and what penalties do they impose on the wearer?
How up to date is your Pyramid Library? David provided rules for creating armor, but also sort of included rules for creating vacc suits. What you're looking for is the Oct 2016 issue of Eidetic Memory Ultra-Tech Armor Design by David L. Pulver It has rules for Life Support and vacuum support aspects of either rigid or flexible armors. There is even an extended life support system should you feel that some of the suits require extended periods of time on the surface of Mars. Let me know if you want me to try and design a Mars suit using those rules and email it to you. You have my private email I presume. If not, simply click on my name at the Forums and send me an email that way. I've already got a spreadsheet that lets me design armor for any given tech level (I picked up all three articles and created the spreadsheet such it will handle all TLs in GURPS).
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:45 PM   #39
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
How up to date is your Pyramid Library? David provided rules for creating armor, but also sort of included rules for creating vacc suits. What you're looking for is the Oct 2016 issue of Eidetic Memory Ultra-Tech Armor Design by David L. Pulver It has rules for Life Support and vacuum support aspects of either rigid or flexible armors. There is even an extended life support system should you feel that some of the suits require extended periods of time on the surface of Mars. Let me know if you want me to try and design a Mars suit using those rules and email it to you. You have my private email I presume. If not, simply click on my name at the Forums and send me an email that way. I've already got a spreadsheet that lets me design armor for any given tech level (I picked up all three articles and created the spreadsheet such it will handle all TLs in GURPS).
Do you know what title the issue ran under? I didn't buy many of the third series, but it's possible I might have that one.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #40
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Do you know what title the issue ran under? I e.
It's 3/96 Tech and Toys IV.

Tags
pavonis portal, social engineering