Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #21
whswhs

Default Re: Social Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
A Per roll and an Observation+5 roll are two very, very different things, since the usual expectation is that a Per roll can be replace by an Observation+0 roll. The +5 makes a big Big BIG difference in the balance between two skills or scores or whatever.
The idea here is that your ordinary untrained person may happen to notice a poker player's tells; but a trained observer will be watching for them and has a much better chance of seeing them. Though it could be handled with Body Language instead of Observation, perhaps.

If you don't have the skill of Observation, an Observation roll can canonically be replaced by a Perception-5 roll. That statement and yours can only make sense together if they are true under different circumstances. And it seems to me that a serious game of poker may be one of the circumstances where Perception is not a full substitute for Observation.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #22
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think that should be a technique, because it's fundamentally easier than regular Acting. Avoiding expressing your thoughts or reactions seems to me to be somewhere between Acting+2 and Acting+5. I don't think you should necessarily be able to buy it up higher than that.
Even if it's naturally at Acting+4 or Acting+5, situations of extreme stress or high pressure could cause the GM to give a penalty to the roll based on his sense of realism. In that situation, I'd still want to have a Technique on my character's Acting skill that can counter-act that penalty.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #23
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post

Inspire Loyalty may or may not be a reasonable Technique (adjusting the Loyalty result of the Reaction Table).

I think there should be some Per-Based Sex Appeal Technique that allows gauging people's potential and current attractions (similar to Body Language, but only narrowed down to this one topic).
What about someone who can inspire a faux-erotic Dulcinea Effect on people who have no intention of thinking them a Love Interest in the normal sense? Something appropriate for a Lady of War, a Jeanne D'Archetype, a Badass Princess, or a Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask?

Tags
acting, influence skills, seduction, social engineering, techniques