Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Too Bo Coo

Default Re: Rules question: Targeting inside a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack View Post
Realistically, I think that a "near miss" should still hit the main target. So you'd hit, damage armor normally, and then determine internal damage normally. You might hit the bit you were targeting anyway, but there's no guarantee.

For game balance, I think that a "near miss" should probably miss entirely, because there's no reason to not take a called shot otherwise! Essentially, you should be gambling on a lower chance to hit in exchange for a greater effect.
In principle I agree, but I think then there would be little reason not to go for a 'called shot', even if you get close you can still hit the target as normal. So why would one ever do anything but a called shot?

BTW, the term 'near miss' makes very little logical sense. A 'near miss' is a hit, a 'near hit' is a miss... Sorry but my George Carlin lessons are kicking in!
Too Bo Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
shadowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Bo Coo View Post
In principle I agree, but I think then there would be little reason not to go for a 'called shot', even if you get close you can still hit the target as normal. So why would one ever do anything but a called shot?
*confused* …Isn't that what I said?

Quote:
BTW, the term 'near miss' makes very little logical sense. A 'near miss' is a hit, a 'near hit' is a miss... Sorry but my George Carlin lessons are kicking in!
It's a miss that comes near! :D

(But of course, "close" only counts with certain burst effect weapons…)
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
panaikhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack View Post
(But of course, "close" only counts with certain burst effect weapons…)
Horseshoes and hand grenades?

<putting my serious hat on> If you are aiming burst effect weapons into a car, what is likely to take damage?
panaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
Jeffr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
Horseshoes and hand grenades?

<putting my serious hat on> If you are aiming burst effect weapons into a car, what is likely to take damage?
A pedestrian that happens to be within two inches of the car and that's it.

(Pedestrians inside the car are considered vehicular components are are immune to burst effect damage.)
Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
swordtart

To be pedantic pedestrians are not vehicular components.

In the dueltrack C&C rules they took hits from burst weapons that penetrated the to the crew compartment. A pedestrian in riding in the cargo section of a pickup or in an open top vehicle under that ruling would be no more vulnerable than one in the body of a car (or indeed passenger who dropped a grenade under thri seat.

In conventional CW cars that had even a single point of armour (even if it has been breached) they are UNEXPOSED and burst effects only affect exposed pedestrians.

The net effect is the same though.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote