Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #21
Jeffr0

Default Re: Sliding phase scale - anyone tried it?

(Chris-- you really should go play Wings of War if you haven't already.)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #22
twb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
I can see a pretty easy way of doing card-based movement. /snip/
Hmmm...I think this has potential. For the speed change, the first card in the sequence could be a speed change card. The cards could be laid down in a stack so that opponent's can't guess your speed change by observing how many cards you have laid out.

(Please, only one speed change card per turn. No mid-turn speed changes, as I remember this is when I stopped playing Star Fleet Battles except at home where I could insist we not use that rule.)

I'm not sure changing the plot would be needed. Remember each turn is just one second. I'm not sure a driver's OODA loop (Boyd Loop) is fast enough to justify this.

I can envision increased tension as a turn plays out...will the cycle turn in time or be rolled over by the 18-wheeler?

This would make ramming less effective, as you will have to outguess your opponent to hit him as intended.

TWB
twb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #23
swordtart

There is already a vehicular combat game with card based movement. It is called Outrider and is available for electronic download on this site.

It has a more simplistic system and you don't get quite as many gadgets as CW but it looks serviceable and reviews have been quite good. It is scaled for hotwheels and looks like it might even fit on a normal table in that format.

If you wan't to reduce the run time (and overall game time) you need to computerise all the rules, rolls and resolutions. For this to work you would really need the playing surface to be on the computer as well (though you could transpose it onto a physical tabletop). You will end up with something like Dark-Wind War-on-wheels with a different setting (if you are hard over on the CW setting in the first place).
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #24
Jeffr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
There is already a vehicular combat game with card based movement. It is called Outrider and is available for electronic download on this site.
Steve Jackson should buy this and give it the Revolution! treatment.

It's a really good game-- far more fun than Wings of War. I didn't think a simplified dueling game could work-- not after seeing Wreckage anyway-- but this thing is fun. Designing your car by choosing a vehicle and allocating dice is pure genius.