Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #1
Belisar

Default How to run a heroic DFRPG with two 7 yrs old twins?

At the moment I play a 5e game with my wife and children. Now my twins have requested to play custom races not available. Immediately I thought of the opportunity to play DFRPG (of which I own every single book and the beautiful box, but sadly never had the opportunity to play) and all the options for customization in GURPS.

Is there any advice how to make a DFRPG game for children which is cinematic, they can be heroic (e.g. the cinematic rule options) and thus highly survivable and competent, and which is less rules heavy like removing posture and using ranges from Adventure(?)?
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: How to run a heroic DFRPG with two 7 yrs old twins?

Give them all Luck. All the Luck. Ridiculous amounts of Luck.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:40 PM   #3
Dalin

I've played a lot of DFRPG with kids. My own kids are 5, 10, and 13, and the two older ones have been playing DFRPG since it was first published. The youngest has played a fair amount too, but it's only been recently that he more-or-less "gets" it. (By that I don't mean "understands the rules" as much as "understands how to play a character.")

Some tips, in no particular order:
  • Session length should match their ability to concentrate. (You've probably already got this down for your 5e sessions.) I find that shorter sessions are better with younger players.
  • I let them learn the rules at their own pace. I help them build characters by asking questions about who they want to be and what they want to be able to do. Then I translate that into GURPS (or DFRPG).
  • I don't worry about kids playing everything on their character sheet accurately, but I try to lean into the fun of good disadvantages. I find that once kids get used to the idea that flaws are fun, they can really get into it.
  • One caveat with disads is I try to avoid anything that smacks of PvP. (Typically by requiring a Sense of Duty to the rest of the party.) So the klepto can go nuts trying to steal stuff from the orcs or the queen, but she shouldn't be stealing stuff from other PCs.
  • I apply only as much complexity as they seem interested in. If they ask, "Can I shoot an arrow in its eye?," I'm ready with hit locations, but otherwise, I ignore them.
  • I don't worry about "balanced encounters" or keeping things "fair" between the monsters and the PCs. If the kids are having a blast kicking butt, I let them kick lots of butt. Maybe the monsters can't score crits on them. Maybe the archvillain is inexcusably stupid. I'm not trying to suspend my disbelief, after all.
  • I try to be very loose with the details. If tracking FP, ER, and power items is too much for a caster, I just guestimate it and let them know when they're starting to "feel too tired to cast much more."
  • On that note, magic has so much complexity that it's usually preferable to paint with broad strokes. Explosive Fireball tosses enemies around the room in a pleasing fashion. If it's exciting to have Create Water douse a torch 50 yards away, cool, we'll ignore the range penalty. I take my cue from the players as to when they want it to be more systematized.
  • I provide plenty of "get out of jail free" cards. This could be giving everyone Luck, healing potions, amulets of life protection, or a patron who can rescue them in a pinch. I also try to avoid setting up situations where they could easily tell that I'm pulling my punches. I'll skip the tightrope over a lava pit until I'm confident that they fully understand the risks and the odds of success. (Though you could run it full-Mario style, with characters screaming, "Yow ow ow ow" as they bounce up in the air with a scorched butt.)
  • Rule of Cool trumps everything else. If they're smiling and laughing, it's a win.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:40 AM   #4
Belisar

Thanks very much for the valuable input so far!
I will give each of them the luck advantage for free and probably 350(?) points to spend. And I will use cannonfodder a lot for mere minions that helps them feeling more heroic.
To create additional races, I could use additional advantages from the GURPS Basic Set or is there already something from DFRPG, an article or publication that covers customizing new race templates?
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:09 AM   #5
Dalin

You could use the full GURPS line to build new races, in which case you might want to look at DF3: The Next Level for some other DF-appropriate examples. GURPS Template Toolkit 2: Races would be the ultimate guide.

There are, however, a number of sources of additional races for DFRPG. Dungeon Fantasy Companion 2 includes templates for centaurs, minotaurs, dark elves, lizard men, and infernals. I can't heap enough praises on Nordlondr Folk by Kevin Smyth. Nominally for Douglas Cole's fun Nordlond setting, it includes fresh takes on traditional races and a bunch of entirely new ones. All of them are easily ported to Your Own Custom Fantasy World™.

Finally, if you decide to build your own races from scratch, this forum and the GURPS forum are great places to go for feedback. In the past few years, for example, I've gotten excellent advice on both faerie dragons and mermaids.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote