Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #31
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
You'll hate me for saying this, but I just think that there is no way that her Custom Colts could carry 15 rounds of 45. ACP ammunition.
Well, the Glock 21 can carry 13 rounds (short notice, fast research), so an additional 2 rounds isn't too out of the question.

Quote:
I mean, no matter how much you modify the basic design, the M1911 is still going to have a single-stack magazine. You won't get a 15 round magazine in a .45 unless you are willing to have the grip be absurdly broad and the magazine stick out quite a lot.
They're not M1911s (I have one, it's way too small). The GM said he'd find the guns they're modified off of and send it to me. He called them Colts (so I called them "custom Colts").

Quote:
And ST 8? For someone who fires 2 .45 ACPs? You'll be operating at a stiff penalty most of the time.
Her pistols are weighted specifically for her, anyone else using them has a stiff penalty. And there is always recoil compensation.

Quote:
*keeps rambling about perceived illogical genre conventions in games and fiction featuring underaged Japanese supergirls*
Hey, don't look at me, the GM gave me the stats for the guns . . . I figured she'd be using 9mm, he prefered .45 ACP. At least it's not .50 AE.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #32
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
Well, the Glock 21 can carry 13 rounds (short notice, fast research), so an additional 2 rounds isn't too out of the question.
Double-stack magazine, fat grip.

You could modify a GLOCK 21 to carry 15 rounds, but it wouldn't exactly be practical or comfortable unless you had huge hands.

Quote:
They're not M1911s (I have one, it's way too small). The GM said he'd find the guns they're modified off of and send it to me. He called them Colts (so I called them "custom Colts").
As far as I know, Colt does not manufacture any pistols in .45 ACP with a double-stack magazine that could accomodate 15 rounds.

Quote:
Her pistols are weighted specifically for her, anyone else using them has a stiff penalty. And there is always recoil compensation.
Pistols with a 15 rounds of 45. ACP are going to be hefty. It's just physics. No matter for whom they are designed.

And no recoil compensator is going to make the .45 ACP managable for someone as strong as the average 13-year-old girl (I would guess), not in rapid fire (which she will probably do) with one hand and while not in a proper shooting stance.

Quote:
Hey, don't look at me, the GM gave me the stats for the guns . . . I figured she'd be using 9mm, he prefered .45 ACP. At least it's not .50 AE.
You do know that I'm nitpicking for the fun of it, right? ;)

But oddly enough, sins against plausibility do turn me against certain genres and worlds.

I can accept magic, dragons and such; as long as they are internally consistent. But setting something in a world which has evolved precisely like ours (or even purports to be like ours), but then doesn't obey the most basic physical laws, is too much for me.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #33
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
You do know that I'm nitpicking for the fun of it, right? ;)

But oddly enough, sins against plausibility do turn me against certain genres and worlds.

I can accept magic, dragons and such; as long as they are internally consistent. But setting something in a world which has evolved precisely like ours (or even purports to be like ours), but then doesn't obey the most basic physical laws, is too much for me.
Oh, yes! And I'm only arguing with you because it's fun. I love physics and science, but I also know that comic books and even movies don't necessarily understand the laws of physics. And, as Ghost and Monkeyfist keep pointing out to me "Think of the Catgirls."

Quote:
Double-stack magazine, fat grip.
Well, yeah. I never said the guns were easy to carry. She's just got the innate ability to carry them.

Quote:
You could modify a GLOCK 21 to carry 15 rounds, but it wouldn't exactly be practical or comfortable unless you had huge hands.
Here is the actual gun that the GM (Monkeyfist) said she had, "or close enough." It's 14+1, I thought he had said 15+1. I can go back and adjust her character sheet in the future.

Quote:
Pistols with a 15 rounds of 45. ACP are going to be hefty. It's just physics. No matter for whom they are designed.
Which, in and of itself, will assist with recoil compensation. As Glock said, a compensated gun reduces recoil down to where it's a suitable firearm for a child . . .. Thinking that children need handguns must make them think that here in the US we're all a bunch of gun toting cowboys . . . now where did I leave my hat and horse?

Quote:
And no recoil compensator is going to make the .45 ACP managable for someone as strong as the average 13-year-old girl (I would guess), not in rapid fire (which she will probably do) with one hand and while not in a proper shooting stance.
I would agree with you (on the rapid fire bit, I've fired some amazingly balanced and compensated guns in my time), but she's in a supers game so a little bit of reality-warping is par for the course. I wouldn't put her in a realistic game . . . I wouldn't even think about it.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #34
Icelander

Quote:
Oh, yes! And I'm only arguing with you because it's fun. I love physics and science, but I also know that comic books and even movies don't necessarily understand the laws of physics. And, as Ghost and Monkeyfist keep pointing out to me "Think of the Catgirls."
HAH!!!

I'm mopping up the despicable little furries by the busload! It's a regular ethnic cleansing!

If I keep doing this long enough, I'll amass enough XPs to reach 20th level as a Paladin and will be able to kick the Demogorgon's posterior! ;)

[QUOTE=Mark Skarr]Well, yeah. I never said the guns were easy to carry. She's just got the innate ability to carry them.
Then give her such an innate ability on the character sheet. That would fix my plausibility gripe.

If she's got a super abilty to carry big guns, there's no longer an inconsistency.

Quote:
Here is the actual gun that the GM (Monkeyfist) said she had, "or close enough." It's 14+1, I thought he had said 15+1. I can go back and adjust her character sheet in the future.
Para-Ordnance is not COLT!

*takes a deep breath*

I'm calm now.

Quote:
Which, in and of itself, will assist with recoil compensation. As Glock said, a compensated gun reduces recoil down to where it's a suitable firearm for a child . . .. Thinking that children need handguns must make them think that here in the US we're all a bunch of gun toting cowboys . . . now where did I leave my hat and horse?
Marketing claims. It's bollocks.

It will substantially reduce felt recoil, but it won't eliminate it. And kids generally don't have much arm strength (like your anime girl).

Maybe a kid could brace and fire such a gun with training, but it could never fire it with one hand while flying through the air. ;)

Quote:
I would agree with you (on the rapid fire bit, I've fired some amazingly balanced and compensated guns in my time), but she's in a supers game so a little bit of reality-warping is par for the course. I wouldn't put her in a realistic game . . . I wouldn't even think about it.
Tell whomever is playing her to get a smaller caliber gun. More ammo, less kick and the since she's supposed to be some kind of super-shootist, she won't have to worry too much about terminal ballistics or penetration. She'll just shoot them in the eyes. ;)
Old 09-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #35
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
HAH!!!

I'm mopping up the despicable little furries by the busload! It's a regular ethnic cleansing!

If I keep doing this long enough, I'll amass enough XPs to reach 20th level as a Paladin and will be able to kick the Demogorgon's posterior! ;)
See, I can get behind the clensing of furries, but not of the catgirls themselves. I'd have to stop you. Sorry. They can't help it if they were born that way, man.

Quote:
Para-Ordnance is not COLT!

*takes a deep breath*

I'm calm now.
Don't look at me, I'm just using what the GM said. I know it's not. Me, if it's not from Colt, Ruger, S&W or H&K I'm probably not going to risk my own life shooting it.

Quote:
Marketing claims. It's bollocks.

It will substantially reduce felt recoil, but it won't eliminate it. And kids generally don't have much arm strength (like your anime girl).

Maybe a kid could brace and fire such a gun with training, but it could never fire it with one hand while flying through the air. ;)
Unless they're a super-hero or in a movie . . .. I've been firing guns since I was about 10, but then again, I'm a pretty big guy and have been since I was about 9, so recoil was never much an issue (my complete lack of accuracy, however, is due to my drastically reduced dexterity).

Quote:
Tell whomever is playing her to get a smaller caliber gun. More ammo, less kick and the since she's supposed to be some kind of super-shootist, she won't have to worry too much about terminal ballistics or penetration. She'll just shoot them in the eyes. ;)
That would be me, I keep trying to convince the GM to go down to .40 (10mm). But, Sakura is perfectly happy defying the laws of physics and decency. The GM isn't much for too much physics in his game, so it's not that big a deal.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #36
Icelander

Quote:
See, I can get behind the clensing of furries, but not of the catgirls themselves. I'd have to stop you. Sorry. They can't help it if they were born that way, man.
But were they born?

Or hatched in darkness of pure evil and cussed meanness?

Don't believe me?

Fine, I'll blame them for causing chlamydia.

Quote:
Don't look at me, I'm just using what the GM said. I know it's not. Me, if it's not from Colt, Ruger, S&W or H&K I'm probably not going to risk my own life shooting it.
I'd take a SIG over a S&W any day, but I see what you are saying.

Quote:
Unless they're a super-hero or in a movie . . .. I've been firing guns since I was about 10, but then again, I'm a pretty big guy and have been since I was about 9, so recoil was never much an issue (my complete lack of accuracy, however, is due to my drastically reduced dexterity).
Super-heroes or movie characters should have special abilities on their sheets which allow them to perform those feats. Otherwise the mooks could as well and that would ruin things.

But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
That would be me, I keep trying to convince the GM to go down to .40 (10mm). But, Sakura is perfectly happy defying the laws of physics and decency. The GM isn't much for too much physics in his game, so it's not that big a deal.
It's your character, so you should pick the weapon.

I'd get a HK USP Tactical in .40 S&W if you want a big gun. If you want a concealable weapon, get a little 9mm like the Walther P7M8.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #37
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
But were they born?

Or hatched in darkness of pure evil and cussed meanness?
Well, the majority of the ones I've interacted with were "decanted" from clone bays. After all, they're not terribly natural.

Quote:
Don't believe me?

Fine, I'll blame them for causing chlamydia.
Mrnh?
My brain! It is bleeding!

Quote:
It's your character, so you should pick the weapon.

I'd get a HK USP Tactical in .40 S&W if you want a big gun. If you want a concealable weapon, get a little 9mm like the Walther P7M8.
The guns were "given" to her. She didn't choose them. Heck, she didn't even know she could use guns until she picked one up off of a mook and discovered she was very good with them. She was using the mook's 9mm until she received a package with her two pistols (one white, one black, hence the render).
Old 09-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #38
Icelander

Quote:
Well, the majority of the ones I've interacted with were "decanted" from clone bays. After all, they're not terribly natural.

Mrnh?
My brain! It is bleeding!
Hmm... and unnatural means bad, right? ;)

Quote:
The guns were "given" to her. She didn't choose them. Heck, she didn't even know she could use guns until she picked one up off of a mook and discovered she was very good with them. She was using the mook's 9mm until she received a package with her two pistols (one white, one black, hence the render).
I see. That does complicate matters.

Chalk it up to the guns being "magical", "quantum" or "superscience".
Old 09-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #39
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Hmm... and unnatural means bad, right? ;)
Not necessarily. You guys probably never had the Oak Express Commercials. If I could find them, I'd link to them. They were funny.
Unnatural is only bad if you don't like medicine or cars or even computers.

Quote:
I see. That does complicate matters.

Chalk it up to the guns being "magical", "quantum" or "superscience".
Yeah, Monkeyfist just stuck his head over my shoulder and said "she doesn't know if her guns are magical or not."
Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #40
Icelander

Quote:
Not necessarily. You guys probably never had the Oak Express Commercials. If I could find them, I'd link to them. They were funny.
Unnatural is only bad if you don't like medicine or cars or even computers.
Oh, no. I breed my computer from all-natural plants.

Don't believe in medicine and drive a 5-winter-old pony.

You believe me, right?

Quote:
Yeah, Monkeyfist just stuck his head over my shoulder and said "she doesn't know if her guns are magical or not."
Ah, the famous handwaving! ;)

At least it helps. ;)

Tags
art