Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #111
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

[QUOTE=Hide;2353584]Hey there, I am the new player! Nice to meet you![/quote[
Welcome!

Quote:
The character will speak Spanish (I understand this is the main language, including the enemy) and either Japanese or Russian.
Not quite. Its the main language of the fifth spinward republic, but the enemy speaks a fictional language called zorbani. The spinward republic has many languages, and you actually don't need Spanish, though I think all the existing characters do have it.

Quote:
Roughly speaking the character will feature:

Stealth/Forensics (SL 12+)
Diplomatic skills (SL 13+)
Hand to hand combat (SL 15+)
Anti-psi (static, meaning I will have no psi) OR resistant +8 (expecting to resist psi and have psi powers)
Resistant (immunity to poisons/drugs) [15] (preventing to be poisoned/drugged)
You have 100 points earmarked for psionic powers (and only them), so you'll want a power set. Immune to drugs/poisons isn't on the table, though resistant is, at least at this stage of the game.

The skill set looks mostly equivalent to what the other folks have. Daymar is more of a generalist and Hua is more of a sneak. Don't forget skills like scrounging and weapons training.

Quote:
Additionally, what’s the ambience of the setting?
Ambiance. That's a hard word. I'll start with influences. The setting is inspired by psi wars (a star wars clone adapted for gaming), by the psionic special operators you get at the end of x-com, and by ships and military life from the world wars. Its also worth noting that this is essentially a heist game: you're stealing a warship.

We have some elements of "slice of life". That life features both military rank-and file elements, as well as the exotic worlds they come from (though the people themselves tend not to be exotic) The technology vibe is kind of odd: personal tech is minmalized and played down, while the massive superscience machinery that runs the ship is played up: I'm aiming for a greasy mechanic vibe there.

Other than that, the ambience is kind of up to the players.
Quote:
Could you share with me 4 songs? A music theme for the setting, another for combat, one more for intrigue/narrative and ending song.
I could start looking. I don't usually do music as part of game mastering. I haven't played face to face in years.
Quote:
Do you have pictures of your characters?
Not that I'm aware of. They might, but I don't.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:36 PM   #112
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(...) You have 100 points earmarked for psionic powers (and only them), so you'll want a power set (...)
Alright, regarding PSI, I'm inclined towards Anti-psi and psychokinesis (GURPS psionic-powers).

I want my character to be proficient in combat; however, if you think there's something the team needs, I could explore such abilities and perhaps include them.

I will post the first draft this Monday.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2020, 06:19 AM   #113
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Alright, regarding PSI, I'm inclined towards Anti-psi and psychokinesis (GURPS psionic-powers).

I want my character to be proficient in combat; however, if you think there's something the team needs, I could explore such abilities and perhaps include them.

I will post the first draft this Monday.

Thanks!
I really don't think anti-psi is going to do much for you in this game. There's been no indication thus far that we should expect to face enemy psi. My character is focused on mind controlling telepathy, Hua on ergokinesis, so I would suggest you focus on psychokinesis.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #114
Hide

Hello this is the first draft:

Spoiler:  

Thanks!

Last edited by Hide; 11-17-2020 at 02:19 AM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #115
TGLS

Should we delay the meeting until Hide's ready?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #116
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Hello this is the first draft:

Ok. looking the sheet over....

You haven't clearly indicated your "flavor" skills. 10 points should be spent on

Quote:
things you think your character would have that aren't relevant to his job. Current Affairs, Games, Musical skills, Sport, Connisuer, Area Knowledge and Hobby Skills are especially appropriate
You were to have spent 20 points on "Job skills" to let you function undercover. You've spent points on the language and culture, and a few points in skills. I don't know what section your character is supposed to be undercover as, but I don't think they have high enough skill levels to qualify.

Engineer (starships) only gives you expertise to design the hulls and interiors of starships (excluding both drives, the power plant, sensors, weapons, shields, and life support). To maintain them, you need Mechanic (starships). Though your title could quite possibly be "Engineer", that's just title creep. They don't actually especially want ship designers on-board... at least not as enlisted men. Its low enough that it isn't really functional.

Which brings up the general lowness of his skills. His stats are pretty low. We've seen three other characters built in this game, and all of them had both DX and IQ at 14 or higher. You don't need to go quite that high, but right now this character can't pass the dreadstormer academy. These characters should be special forces guys who also have psi powers.

In particular, your acting skill is very low. This skill is essential, and all players have rolled against it multiple times. I cannot bring this character into the game with an acting skill of 10. But his skills are generally low. This is probably because your attributes are low.

Please list your advantages with their modifiers. On their own line would be nice, but not neccessary. For example:

Quote:
Innate Attack 1d6 (cutting) (melee C -40%, st-based +100%, no signature +20%, reflexive +40%, armor divisor 10 +200% = 310%)[29]
This also lets me check your math: as seen above, we have some discrepancies. Also, You don't need reflexive on an innate attack. They don't need to be readied. You also probably don't need no signature on most of your abilities. Vibration sense and enhanced time sense get it for free.

Psi Powers should have a skill associated with them. You specified karate for the attack, but the vibration sense especially needs a skill. You can make up the name ("Slowed Observation"?) and make it a hard skill, or try to justify an existing skill (like karate). See skills from psionic powers page 5 or skills for everyone on page 162 of powers.

The cost on your trained by a master is way off, unless you've got some big modifiers on it.

Reliable on danger sense makes me raise my eyebrow... but with your per so low, it makes a bit of sense. We might come back to this, or might not.

Is your resistant to psi, or to drugs and toxins? please indicate with the advantage, along with the level.

You don't get to bring on any gear to the ship. No signature gear, nothing held out. They are very through, and the dreadstormer doctrine is not to contest those attempts. You also don't have the skill level of holdout to justify it.

That said, TK can work as lockpicks, you've got the power set, and as an alternate ability the ability is really cheap. a single point will get you TK 2, which is enough to pick some locks and do some delicate work. 2 points gets you TK 5, and 4 points give TK 10 as an alternate ability to your attack, which adds some pretty solid ability to your character.

Could explain what "The Order" that you have fanaticism to is? Do you mean the Dreadstormers as an organization, or something else?

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this character is intended to dance through an enemy hail of projectiles while slicing through armor, possibly under the cover darkness. I've seen a similar concept in play before (but a very different build) and yeah, it can be awesome. I see the following problems:

The primary ranged weapon on board the ship is laser weaponry, which you can't block. This was done precisely because PK users can block bullets (though traditionally they use shields)
You don't have a way to block everyone else's vision. If you're not planning to block vision, why do you have vibration sense?

Neither Vibration Sense nor Dangerous Sense will let you leverage ETS to block bullets if you don't have a clear line of sight to them.

The whole build seems a little advantage heavy. You have Fit and High Pain Threshold and Eidetic Memory and Both Gunslinger and Trained by a master. Any one of those by itself adds a little color, but altogether they are eating up a lot points that are needed to beef up the attributes.

I'm a little concerned that you are expecting more combat and less sneaking than the rest of us. This game will have combat, but its also a heist story, with roots closer to Action than DF.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #117
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Should we delay the meeting until Hide's ready?

I think the sheet needs a bit of work. I'm for continuing to play in the mean time.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #118
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ok. looking the sheet over (...)
Alright, just letting you know I am updating the character!
And you can count with a background story too.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #119
Hide

Hey there, here's the update:

Looking forward to your comments!

Last edited by Hide; 12-09-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:52 AM   #120
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
ATTRIBUTES:
ST 10 [0]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 10 [0]
As ericthered has noted, your attributes are very low, especially for a 300+ point special ops game. If you do get in combat and get hit, HT 10 gives low odds of passing a death check. ST 10 is probably fine, I suggest a minimum DX/IQ of 13, HT 11, maybe 12.

Quote:

Danger Sense [15]; Reliable 4 (+20%) [18] I think a modified advantage like this in a psi game should be a psi ability

Trained by a Master [30]; Unarmed only (-40%) [18] As a GM, I would not accept this modifier. Since you don't seem to be taking this for access to special skills, perhaps you could take Weapon Master (Unarmed) for [20], with the broader application to any unarmed skill trading off with no damage bonus (since they all have their own built-in bonuses). I suppose the cost isn't very different, I just don't see Unarmed as that significant of a limitation on TbaM.

PSI Perks:
Psi: EVP [1];
Psi: Gaze into the Abyss [1];
Psi: Ignition [1];
Psi: Personal Awareness [1];
These perks seem to be a grab bag from different powers. Your abilities seem to be a mix of Psychic Healing, Psychokinesis, and perhaps ESP, but I don't think your character should have Anti-Psi perks (which wouldn't be compatible with having other psi powers), and EVP is Ergokinesis, which none of your other powers suggest.

Quote:
(1) Combat [42]
TA Vitals (Karate) -2 [1]-12 - TA are Hard techniques, this should cost [2]