Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #11
ULFGARD

Default Re: My first GURPS game

Glorious! Congratulations!

Harkwood's a good choice -- I generally use a modified version of it to introduce new players to GURPS. Have fun with it, and enjoy!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #12
Onkl

Congratulations and welcome!

I too must say that I am amazed that you can run a game with as many players as you do. The most I was able to run a game with was 6 players and then already 2 of them complained about the time it took to resolve combat.

That your players had their characters fleshed out and ready to go is something I have yet to accomplish with my players *sigh*

In any case: Keep up doing whatever it is you are doing... you seem to do it right! ;)
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
JStewart

I am a player(the one that put a shurikenthrough the bandits hand :-D) in Enoch's GURPS game and I'm loving it. As soon as I got into the character creation I knew I was going to like the GURPS system. There are a TON of rules and modifiers but I have been studying the books like mad. I think I have been waiting for a game like this since I first started pen and paper games (D&D 3.5ed, 4 years ago). Enoch said he thinks he found his RPG home, well I think I'll be around as long as he has a game running.

Congrats on the good start my friend.
JStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
trooper6

Welcome! I sounds like everyone had a great time. That is the best indication that you are doing something right!

I think one of the first things that captured my mind about GURPS the first time I saw it was the character creation. That I could have a phobia, and it would matter. That I could make *any* sort of character, not limited by class restrictions. Then when I realized that I could get my leg crippled in combat, or could hit someone in the head and it would matter, I was sold.

Then all the new stuff I read and learned about the game just deepened my love.

So welcome aboard!
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #15
JStewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post

I think one of the first things that captured my mind about GURPS the first time I saw it was the character creation. That I could have a phobia, and it would matter. That I could make *any* sort of character, not limited by class restrictions. Then when I realized that I could get my leg crippled in combat, or could hit someone in the head and it would matter, I was sold.

So welcome aboard!
My feelings exactly, couldn't put it better myself.
JStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
mook

Awesome folks - glad to hear your first GURPS game was such a success! Here's to many more.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #17
OldSam

Well done, keep going! You'll certainly have a lot more fun with the system in the future...
And handling a good rpg-session with 8 players is really impressive! You can most likely call yourself a very good GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
And 8 players with GURPS' slow combat resolution is even more impressive.
I don't think that GURPS has a slow combat resolution, at least in comparison to other "complex" RPGs - it's of course slower than very abstract simple mechanics without details etc
Moreover in my experience GURPS is open for a lot of tricks to accelerate the process in combat:
For instance two things I like:
1) Instead of looking up all needed modifiers, just ask the players to describe their action and let them roll. If you're experienced with the system, in many cases you can immediately see if the result means failure or success anyway, so you don't need to check the details and can save a lot of time.
2) If the player declared an action to make a specific attack which has difficult modifiers, it can take a moment to look these up. Just let them roll like before (in 1). In case it's not obvious that the attack is a miss, just roll for the active defense of the NPC opponent to see if the attack can be avoided anyway. If so, again it's not neccessary to check the detailed modifiers of the attack anymore, just estimate the results to get an adequate fluff description ("Your blade misses his hand by less than half an inch...")
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #18
TJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I used all the rules I wanted to. Including bleeding, armor damage, all the realistic stuff from Martial Arts, and stuff from Low Tech. Did it bog down the game? Not really, if I didn't have it memorized or easily referable on my custom GM screen I would just make a ruling and look it up later.
Very interesting post!

I would love to have such a good memory for rules ...
Our games always bog down from searching up things in the books (which is hard, when rules are scattered over books and pages and contain references for the next things, and so on).

Is your custom GM screen something you could offer to the community?
:)

Last edited by TJA; 07-25-2011 at 07:11 AM.
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice, new gm