Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2007, 03:48 AM   #1
Izaegraa

Default intelligent, ally weapons

I am looking to build an assasin type guy with 2 different intelligent daggers. I would like each dagger to be its own seperate magical, intelligent item. I hope to build them as thinking, indepent but subserviant as long as i give them what they want, usually in the way of attacking / killing something or polishing / cleaning them or such. I might make them "eat" something precious in return for lending me their power in combat.

I am led to build them both as allies, but i want their attack dmg to be much larger than normal daggers to represent special innate attacks of each weapon. How do i increase their damage and create effects when i attack in melee or throw them?

Basically, how does an item ally allow me to use it and its attack bonuses in combat?

Thanks
Izaegraa
Izaegraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Arazael

Default Re: intelligent, ally weapons

Gadget sounds like a more appropriate build here. Treat the abilities as abilities possessed by the character, then apply modifiers. Can they be stolen, broken or damaged?
Arazael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
younglorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izaegraa
Basically, how does an item ally allow me to use it and its attack bonuses in combat?
That sounds like Compartmentalized Mind (Controls).

As to modifying their damage, just give them an innate attack.
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
deathsaudit

Familiars on page 38 with the Gadget modifications.
deathsaudit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
blacksmith

Well Ally is the munchkin solution. Being sessile and such is a wounderfly massive number of points to buy up innate attack and controls.

If you are better with them than ordinary weapons, that sounds like some kind of affliction would be the way to handle that
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
jSarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith
Well Ally is the munchkin solution. Being sessile and such is a wounderfly massive number of points to buy up innate attack and controls.

If you are better with them than ordinary weapons, that sounds like some kind of affliction would be the way to handle that
They wouldn't be Sessile, just Legless. It doesn't require above-average effort to move them like Sessile does.
jSarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jSarek
They wouldn't be Sessile, just Legless. It doesn't require above-average effort to move them like Sessile does.
True, BUt you add in 0 DX, 0 St, social disadvantages for being an object, physical disadvantages for being an object. That is a lot of points.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
Izaegraa

i want them to be intelligent...like they house a spirit, with the spirits on wants/ needs / desires. i also want them to have abilities only the dagger spirit can activate, and others, mainly using the dagger itself to attack with, to be useable by the wielder. Id like to include a way for the spirit in the dagger to keep itself from being wielded by someone it does not like or want using it.

I am thinking comparmentalized mind ( controls) and innate attack will get what i need for the attacking in combat with the dagger, as i can use all the stuff form innate attack. i saw some item ally templates on another post so i guess ill start there and modify int / skills for the dagger being intelligent. Should i also give it mental traits / disads to affect how the dagger thinks / acts?

If i build it as a constant ally, and do not place any gadget restrictions on it, am i correct in the fact that it couldnt be stolen or removed? This would be representative of the daggers always teleporting back to me when i needed them. I might also buy warp fixed point my hands, or their sheaths for that too.

Thanks for the input
Izaegraa
Izaegraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izaegraa
i want them to be intelligent...like they house a spirit, with the spirits on wants/ needs / desires. i also want them to have abilities only the dagger spirit can activate, and others, mainly using the dagger itself to attack with, to be useable by the wielder. Id like to include a way for the spirit in the dagger to keep itself from being wielded by someone it does not like or want using it.

I am thinking comparmentalized mind ( controls) and innate attack will get what i need for the attacking in combat with the dagger, as i can use all the stuff form innate attack. i saw some item ally templates on another post so i guess ill start there and modify int / skills for the dagger being intelligent. Should i also give it mental traits / disads to affect how the dagger thinks / acts?

If i build it as a constant ally, and do not place any gadget restrictions on it, am i correct in the fact that it couldnt be stolen or removed? This would be representative of the daggers always teleporting back to me when i needed them. I might also buy warp fixed point my hands, or their sheaths for that too.

Thanks for the input
Izaegraa
Gadget limitations on an ally would represent the bond of the ally. For example a Torc that summons demons that you control would be modeled that way, but the fact that the knives can be stolen, well allies can be kidnapped/mindcontroled what have you.

Gadget would seem to need some separate item representing their loyalty to you.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Buying them as Allies is fine (incidently, for the "can't move on their own, but can be easily carried" aspect, Changing Times introduced the No Legs (Portable) disadvantage - it's worth -30 points). As for the "boosted attacks while weilding the daggers" thing, don't charge the knives points for it at all. Instead, the assassin should take the +50% "Grants Special Abilties" enhancement on the Ally advantage, and buy the additional damage with the -40% "Granted By Familiar" limitation. In fact, you could probably justify making it worth more than the usual -40%, since the default for "Granted by Familiar" seems to be that the Ally who grants you the power needs to merely arrive, not actually be being weilded by you.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote