Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #171
DreadDomain

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Not at all. I've got a Word document for these myself, complete with images of the characters I've scanned in (mostly from the OHOTMUDE).
He! I did the same with images collected on the web.

Quote:
I considered it, but to be fair I wasn't considering "cheap". I was considering "accurate" and "simple". No sense tacking on a slew of modifiers when a simple method can model things just as accurately.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Also, the Super ST advantage gives me headaches, especially when dealing with ST scores that have an in-universe tendency to max out around 350 (bench-press (BLx8) 100 tons). The Hulk is the odd man out for this mess, naturally; I'm still not happy with his build.
If you take the Marvel Universe Handbooks verbatim, I can see why (aaahh! the old Marvel tons debate). Super ST would probably be way more useful in a DC Universe game
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #172
DreadDomain

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
That's basically what I would call munchkinism at its worst. As a GM, there's no way in hell I'd allow a PC to do that.
Well, I didn't invent anything here. It comes straight from GURPS Supers.

I don't know if you ran some numbers but I compared with a few other powers (normal ST, ST with growth, Innate Attacks) and surprisingly enough, it proved a lot more balanced than I thought. It's even like the people at SJG know what they are doing ;)

Vitruvian brings another good point that I didn't think about before.

Anyway, I don't want to threadjack but I am interested to hear if your experience is truly different concerning such a build. Feel free to start a new thread of PM me.

Cheers!

DD
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #173
Fnordianslip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain
Well, I didn't invent anything here. It comes straight from GURPS Supers.
Wow, I didn't realize that. Consider my statement retracted. I somehow imagine that the Supers playtesters have a better idea on whether that's reasonable than I do.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #174
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
Ultrapower is also always an option for those characters that sometimes just vastly exceed their normal capacities, too. For example, it's the simplest construct I can think of for the movie version of the Thing, who in the first movie has some difficulty with a fire truck, and in the second is able to be the major contributor to holding up the London Eye - that's a few orders of magnitude difference in weights, for sure.
A few orders of magnitude difference in weight, yes, but also a difference in magnitude in leverage as well.

Consider the fire truck: he had the truck by the front fender, with most of the weight below him hanging off the bridge. He was digging his feet into the bridge pavement trying to drag it up, and the truck was starting to break apart. Leverage: Poor. In GURPS terms, I'd give him a -4 or -5 penalty to his effective skill.

Now consider the London Eye: he was underneath it, properly braced, lifting it over his head and had assistance from Sue's force fields. Leverage: Very Good. No penalty to effective skill, and perhaps a +1 assistance boost from his teammates.

Also, how much time passed between the two movies? Ben has been known to get stronger as time went on. In the comics, Ben started out bench-pressing about 25-30 tons in 1961, but by 1980 his strength had pretty well capped at 75-80 tons, not counting the extra effort deals. That's roughly 6.33 years, going by Stan Lee's stated 3:1 RL to comics time ratio, during which time his raw strength effectively tripled.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #175
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Ben has been known to get stronger as time went on. In the comics, Ben started out bench-pressing about 25-30 tons in 1961
AIR, the earliest mentions of Ben's maximum lift made reference to the so-called "5 ton limit". This was one of the ways that the Super Skrull was supposed to exceed the abilities of the FF (his augmented lift was many times greater), though it was already apparent by 1963 that Ben's strength had grown beyond that... it was still clearly inferior to SS's in that first meeting.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #176
vitruvian

Quote:
A few orders of magnitude difference in weight, yes, but also a difference in magnitude in leverage as well.

Consider the fire truck: he had the truck by the front fender, with most of the weight below him hanging off the bridge. He was digging his feet into the bridge pavement trying to drag it up, and the truck was starting to break apart. Leverage: Poor. In GURPS terms, I'd give him a -4 or -5 penalty to his effective skill.

Now consider the London Eye: he was underneath it, properly braced, lifting it over his head and had assistance from Sue's force fields. Leverage: Very Good. No penalty to effective skill, and perhaps a +1 assistance boost from his teammates.
Yeah, but I'm wondering if that's enough to make the difference between something on the order of 3-5 tons and more than 1700 tons of weight...

Quote:
AIR, the earliest mentions of Ben's maximum lift made reference to the so-called "5 ton limit". This was one of the ways that the Super Skrull was supposed to exceed the abilities of the FF (his augmented lift was many times greater), though it was already apparent by 1963 that Ben's strength had grown beyond that... it was still clearly inferior to SS's in that first meeting.
I'd be wary of trusting any Handbook figures for Ben's maximum lift at any point in his comics career. For one thing, while it's been said that he had about a 5 ton limit at the beginning (about Lifting ST 80, fits his stunts in the first movie relatively well), in Fantastic Four #2, quite early on, the Thing is able to penetrate walls of "thick battleship steel", admittedly after repeated pounding, suggesting either a much higher Striking ST, or that he already had Ultrapower for stunts of 'as strong as I need to be for the story'.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #177
Phantasm

I just finished redoing three builds that I wasn't satisfied with before. Instead of updating the original posts, I'm going to repost the entire entries. Here's the first:

HUMAN TORCH

Identity: Publicly known.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Glenville, Long Island, New York.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Franklin (father), Mary (mother, deceased), Susan (alias Invisible Woman, sister).
Group Affiliation: Fantastic Four.
Base of Operations: The Fantastic, known space; the Baxter Building, Manhattan, New York City.
History: Johnny Storm is the younger of two children born to physician Franklin Storm. Growing up, Johnny was always the rebel of the family; part of this stemmed from the attention showered on his older sister Susan, leaving him to act out in order to get attention (see Invisible Woman). Johnny didn't care what kind of attention.

As he got older, he discovered he had a knack for fixing engines, and was soon running an underground repair shop in his parents' garage for the neighborhood kids' motorcycles and hot rods. After being invited to a race track (allegedly as a mechanic, although part of that may be exaggeration), he got his first taste at drag-racing.

When Susan's boyfriend, Reed Richards, announced that the ship with an experimental hyperdrive he'd designed was nearing completion at Cape Canaveral, Florida, Johnny and Sue were invited to tour the ship (see Mister Fantastic). During the tour, Johnny got lost in the engine room while admiring the workmanship. Four hours later, the work crews found him reassembling a thruster assembly that had come loose. An inspection of his work showed that the thruster worked better than before it had been installed, and Johnny was quick to accept their offer of employment, despite still being in high school.

Reed's ship, the Fantastic, launched on schedule. During the first test of the hyperspace drive, what was supposed to be a quick run from Earth to Mars and back, the shields on board proved unable to withstand the unusual radiation of hyperspace. The four crewmembers – Reed, Sue, Johnny, and pilot Ben Grimm – were bombarded with radiation the ship could not keep out (see Thing). It was only a last-minute jury-rig of Johnny's that enabled the ship to return to Earth.

Not long afterwards, Johnny, along with the other three that were on board the Fantastic, manifested powers, with Johnny becoming the second Human Torch. Not long afterwards, he accepted Reed's proposal to form the super-team known as the Fantastic Four.

Recently, under pressure from his older sister, Johnny has decided to go to college, and has enrolled at Empire State University. On his first day, he met a woman named Crystal, who he was since started dating and who has powers of her own (see Crystal).
Height: 5' 10".
Weight: 170 lbs.
Eyes: Blue.
Hair: Blond.
Uniform: Dark blue bodysuit with a stylized 4 on the left breast, white belt, white gloves, white boots.
Strength Level: The Human Torch possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: The Human Torch possesses the superhuman ability to create and control fire and heat.

Johnny's most common manifestation of his powers is the ability to surround his body with a sheath of super-heated plasma. Because most of the energy he generates is in the infrared spectrum, he is dimmer than would be expected from such an energy source. He can mentally control both the energy output and the areas covered by the flame, enabling him to carry someone aloft by making sure his arms are not aflame. Johnny is impervious to this flame, and can withstand temperatures up to the surface temperature of the sun.

By directing the energy beneath him, Johnny can fly like a rocket. He can also produce various forms such as a constant jet of flame, much like a modern flamethrower, or in balls of flame. He can also generate an omnidirectional blast of super-heated fire, which he calls his "nova blast"; the use of the nova blast is known to leave him physically drained.

Johnny also possesses the ability to control flame, both those he generates and those from other sources. He can suppress these flames, or shape them into forms like cages.

Johnny's fire requires both oxygen and fuel, and can be doused by immersion in water or by removing the air from his surrounding area.
Abilities: Johnny Storm is a skilled racing car driver. He is also a superb mechanic, and while is isn't able to design an engine or vehicle from scratch, he is capable of fine-tuning engines to run beyond their stated performance rates without problems.
Paraphernalia: Johnny Storm's Fantastic Four uniforms and regular clothing have been created using unstable molecules, enabling them him to "flame on" while wearing them without harming them in any way.

1,005 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 10 [0].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24; HP 11 [0]; Will 11 [0]; Per 11 [0]; FP 10 [0]; Basic Speed 6.00 [5]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Basic Air Move 12 [0]; Dodge 10.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western (Native) [0].
Advantages: 3D Spatial Sense [10]; Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Artificer 2 [20]; Burning Attack 5d (Fireballs) (Increased Range ×2, +10%; Increased 1/2D Range ×5, +10%; Rapid Fire, RoF 5, +70%; Rapid Fire: Selective Fire, +10%; Ricochet, +10%; Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%; Alternative Attack, x1/5) [10]; Burning Attack 6d (Flame Jet) (Jet, +0%; Jet: Increased 1/2D Range ×2, +5%; Jet: Increased Range ×2, +10%; Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%; Alternative Attack, x1/5) [6]; Burning Attack 3d (Flame Sheath) (Aura, +80%; Link (with DR), +10%; Melee Attack: Destructive Parry, +10%; Melee Attack: Reach C, -30%; Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%) [23]; Burning Attack 18d (Nova Burst) (Area Effect (64 yds), +300%; Costs 10 Fatigue, -50%; Emanation, -20%; Requires Concentrate, -15%; Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%) [266]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Control Fire 3 (Collective, +100%; Independent, +40%; Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%) [132]; Create Fire 10 (Cosmic: No FP Expenditure, +50%; Destruction: Create and Destroy, +100%; Elemental, -10%; Super, -10%) [69]; Damage Resistance 25 (Flame Sheath) (Can't Wear Armor, -40%; Force Field, +20%; Link, +10%; Switchable, +10%; Visible, -10%; Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%) [88]; Daredevil [15]; Driver's Reflexes 2 [10]; Enhanced Move (Air) 2.5 (Air Move 72/144 mph) (Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%) [40]; Fit [5]; Flight (Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%) [32]; Heat/Fire Talent 4 [20]; High Manual Dexterity 1 [5]; Infravision (Super, -10%) [9]; Legal Enforcement Powers 2 (Informal, -10%) [5]; Temperature Control 20 (Heat, -50%; Increased Range (×10), +30%; Super, -10%) [70]; Wealth (Comfortable) [10].
Perks: Honest Face [1]; Ignition [1]; Illumination [1]; Skintight [1]; Supersuit [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Hero's) [-10]; Compulsive Carousing (12) [-5]; Impulsiveness (12) [-10]; Lecherousness (12) [-15]; Overconfidence (12) [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Kill) [-15]; Slow Riser [-5]; Xenophilia (12) [-10].
Quirks: Dual Identity [-1]; Loves his Fans [-1]; Show-Off [-1].
Skills: Aerobatics (H) DX+4 [12] – 17*; Artist (Flame Sculpting) (H) IQ+3 [2] – 14†; Brawling (E) DX+3 [8] – 16; Driving/TL8 (Automobile) (A) DX+2 [2] – 15‡; Driving (Motorcycle) (A) DX+1 [1] – 14‡; Fire Control (H) IQ+4 [4] – 15†; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+3 [8] – 16; Innate Attack (Projectile) (E) DX+3 [6] – 16§; Mechanic! (WC) IQ+5 [60] – 16#; Piloting/TL8 (High Performance Airplane) (A) DX+3 [2] – 16‡∫; Piloting/TL8 (High Performance Spacecraft) (A) DX+3 [2] – 16‡∫; Skiing (H) HT+2 [12] – 12.
Starting Spending Money: $8,000 (20% Starting Wealth).

* Includes +2 from 3D Spatial Sense.
† Includes +4 from Heat/Fire Talent.
‡ Includes +2 from Driver's Reflexes.
§ Defaulted From Innate Attack (Beam).
# Includes +2 from Artificer.
∫ Includes +1 from 3D Spatial Sense.

Role-Playing Notes:
Johnny is flamboyant and impulsive, loving the public attention.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-05-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #178
Phantasm

ICEMAN

Occupation: College student with an accountant curriculum, adventurer.
Identity: Secret.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Fort Washington, Long Island, New York.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: William Robert (father), Madeline Beatrice (mother); Ronnie (brother).
Base of Operations: New York City.
Group Affiliation: X-Men.
History: Robert Drake is a mutant, one of the mutant alumni of the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters known as the X-Men. Alongside the other X-Men, he attends classes at Empire State University, pursuing a career as a CPA.

Bobby discovered his mutant powers when they manifested at puberty. He worked to keep them secret, but when the Xavier Institute went public as a mutant academy, his parents enrolled him there. While there, he honed his powers to the point where he could obscure his identity by forming a flexible ice sheath around him. Professor Xavier believes that Bobby has the potential to turn his entire body into ice, but that Bobby's own lack of imagination is holding him back.

Bobby is not on good terms with his brother Ronnie, who, while a year younger than Bobby, has not to date exhibited any mutant powers. Bobby jokes that Ronnie is jealous of the publicity Iceman and the X-Men get, but deep inside he feels that Ronnie is actually resentful of not being one himself.
Height: 5' 8".
Weight: 145 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Brown.
Uniform: White bodysuit with a light gray X on the front and back, light gray gloves, light gray boots.
Strength Level: Iceman possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Iceman's powers consist of two separate yet interrelated powers. He has the ability to affect the ambient temperatures, dropping the temperature to as low as 100° Kelvin (although he usually doesn't go below -40° Fahrenheit), and the ability to manipulate moisture; even the ambient moisture in the desert is sufficient, although this makes his powers more difficult to control.

Iceman is able to manipulate these effects to create and shape frost, snow, and ice. Parlor tricks include producing a cooler full of ice for the many parties on campus, chilling warm drinks instantly, and creating fancy ice sculptures at will. More practical effects include the creation of ice slides, enabling him to skate at speeds approaching 100 miles per hour, forming and projecting a number of ice weapons (treat any weapon formed as its equivalent from pp. B271-4 made from "cheap" materials), encasing his body in a sheath of ice, and encasing people in blocks or manacles made of ice. His ice formations tend to be fairly simple in design, more utilitarian than aesthetically pleasing.

To date, he has not learned to use his moisture power separate from his cold power, although he is able to produce waves of cold without adding frost to it.
Disabilities: Iceman has a paralyzing fear of fire.

570 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24; HP 11 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 10 [0]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 6 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Ice Slide Move 48 [0].
Advantages: Binding (Ice Block) 10 (Damage Modifier: Freezing Hazard, +20%; Engulfing, +60%; Reduced Range, x1/5, -20%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [42]; Cold/Ice Talent 4 [20]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Control Ice/Snow 5 (Collective, +100%; Link (with Create Ice/Snow), Can Be Used Separately, +20%; Persistent, +40%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [180]; Create Ice/Snow 5 (Link (with Control Ice/Snow), Can Be Used Separately, +20%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [25]; Crushing Attack (Snowball Barrage) 1d-1 (Cone, 2 yds, +70%; Increased Range (1/2D Range only), +5%; Rapid Fire: RoF 20, +150%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [13]; Damage Resistance (Ice Sheath) 4 (Flexible, -20%; Link (with Nictitating Membrane and Slippery), +10%; Switchable, +10%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [16]; Enhanced Move (Ice Slide) 2 (Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [32]; Fatigue Attack (Frost Beam) 3d (Damage Modifier: Freezing Hazard, +20%; Variable, +5%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [32]; Flight (Ice Slide) (Low Ceiling: 30 ft, -10%; Nuisance Effect: ability makes you obvious, -5%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [26]; Impaling Attack (Ice Dagger) 2d (Armor Divisor (0.5), -30%; Homing +3, +52%; Increased Range, x5, +20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 5, +70%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [31]; Lightning Calculator [2]; Nictitating Membrane 4 (Link (with Damage Resistance), +10%; Switchable, +10%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [4]; Single-Minded [5]; Slippery 4 (Link (with Damage Resistance), +10%; Switchable, +10%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [8]; Temperature Control 10 (Cold, -50%; Elemental: Cold/Ice, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [15]; Temperature Tolerance 15 (down to -145°F) (Mutant, -10%) [14].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Hero's) [-5]; Indecisive (15) [-5]; Odious Personal Habit (Cracks Inappropriate Jokes) [-5]; Overconfidence (12) [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Kill) [-15]; Phobia (Pyrophobia: Fire) (6) [-10]; Secret Identity (Serious Embarrassment) [-5]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10].
Quirks: Natural Flirt [-1]; Speed Freak [-1].
Skills: Accounting (H) IQ [4] – 10; Artist (Sculpting) (H) IQ [4] – 10; Axe/Mace (A) DX+1 [4] – 13; Boating/TL8 (Motorboat) (A) DX [2] – 12; Brawling (E) DX+2 [4] – 14; Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News) (E) IQ [1] – 10; Driving/TL8 (Halftrack) (A) DX [2] – 12; Driving/TL8 (Motorcycle) (A) DX [2] – 12; Economics (H) IQ [4] – 10; Finance (H) IQ-1 [2] – 9; Games/TL8 (Video Games) (E) IQ+2 [4] – 12; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+2 [4] – 14; Innate Attack (Projectile) (E) DX+2 [3] – 14*; Law (Tax Laws) (H) IQ-2 [1] – 8; Mathematics/TL8 (Pure) (H) IQ [4] – 10; Mathematics/TL8 (Statistics) (H) IQ [4] – 10; Skating (H) HT+2 [12] – 14; Skiing (H) HT+2 [12] – 14; Speed-Reading (A) IQ [2] – 10; Typing (E) DX [1] – 12; Weather Sense (A) IQ [2] – 10; Wrestling Sport (A) DX+1 [4] – 13.

* defaulted from Innate Attack (Beam)

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-05-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #179
Phantasm

INVISIBLE WOMAN

Occupation: Paramedic, medical technician, registered nurse, adventurer.
Identity: Publicly known.
Other Aliases: Invisible Girl.
Place of Birth: Glenville, Long Island, New York.
Marital Status: Engaged to be married.
Known Relatives: Franklin (father), Mary (mother, deceased), Jonathan "Johnny" (alias Human Torch, brother).
Group Affiliation: Fantastic Four.
Base of Operations: The Fantastic, known space; the Baxter Building, Manhattan, New York City.
History: Susan Storm is the oldest of two children born to physician Franklin Storm. Growing up, her interest in her father's work led him to train her as his assistant from a young age. By the age of 18, she had already become a registered nurse and paramedic, despite not having gone through any official schooling.

When her father was hired by NASA to supervise the medical experts for the "Fantastic Voyage" project, a manned test of the experimental hyperspace drive system, he pulled some strings to get Susan to join him. It was then that she first met Reed Richards, the scientist who worked out the theories behind the drive system (see Mister Fantastic). Despite being eleven years his junior, Sue became enamored with the man, and a romance blossomed. (For their first date, she took him scuba diving.)

As the day of the first flight of Reed's experimental ship, the Fantastic, approached, Sue volunteered to be the on-board medic. During the first test of the hyperspace drive, what was supposed to be a quick run from Earth to Mars and back, the shields on board proved unable to withstand the unusual radiation of hyperspace. The four crewmembers – Reed, Sue, her brother Johnny (who was the ship's mechanic), and pilot Ben Grimm – were bombarded with radiation the ship could not keep out (see Human Torch, Thing). It was only due to a last-minute jury-rig of Johnny's that the ship was able to return to Earth.

Not long afterwards, Sue, along with the other three that were on board the Fantastic, manifested powers, with Sue taking the name Invisible Woman. Not long afterwards, he accepted Reed's proposal to form the super-team known as the Fantastic Four.
Height: 5' 6".
Weight: 120 lbs.
Eyes: Blue.
Hair: Blond.
Uniform: Dark blue bodysuit with a stylized 4 on the left breast, white belt, white gloves, white boots.
Strength Level: The Invisible Woman possesses the normal human strength of a woman her age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: The Invisible Woman has the psionic ability to manipulate photons for a variety of effects, including the rendering of herself and other objects invisible, and the construction of invisible force fields.

By a simple act of concentration, she can cause all wavelengths of visible, infrared, and ultraviolet light to bend around her without distortion, giving the overall effect that she is invisible. Through practice, she has learned to extend this ability to other people and objects. She is able to see normally even when she is invisible, as are anyone else she is making invisible at the time. The means by which she sees while invisible is instinctive, as she was able to see the first time she turned invisible.

Theoretically, she is able to turn other objects that have been made invisible by other means visible by using her own invisibility powers, but she has yet to succeed in doing so.

By concentrating on the photons in the far ultraviolet frequencies, she is able to turn them into solid, invisible constructs, which she can form in a number of shapes.

Note that Sue is not able to alter the wavelengths of the photons she manipulates. Whether she can learn to do so at a later date is unknown.
Abilities: Susan Storm has medical knowledge rivaling that of a practicing physician.

1,683 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 11 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24; HP 11 [0]; Will 15 [10]; Per 13 [0]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 5.50 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 8.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western (Native) [0].
Advantages: Affliction (Invisibility) 6 (HTą5; Advantage: Invisibility with Affects Machines, +600%; Area Effect: 16 yds, +200%; Cancellation, +10%; Malediction: Uses Speed/Range Table, +150%; Selective Area, +20%; Selectivity (Area Effect, Selective Area), +10%; Psionic, -10%) [648]; Appearance (Beautiful) [12]; Damage Resistance 30 (Area Effect: 16 yds, +200%; Force Field, +20%; Hardened 3, +60%; No Signature, +20%; Requires Concentrate, -15%; Switchable, +10%; Psionic, -10%; Alternative Ability, ×1/5) [116]; Force Constructs Talent 2 [10]; Healer 2 [10]; Invisibility (Affects Machines, +50%; Can Carry Objects, Heavy Encumbrance, +100%; Switchable, +10%; Psionic, -10%) [100]; Legal Enforcement Powers 2 (Informal, -50%) [5]; Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power: Force Constructs) (Points of Abilities: 50; Physical Only, +50%; Trait Limited: Advantages Only, -10%; Psionic, -10%) [650]; Security Clearance 1 (NASA; "Need to Know" on a narrow range of secrets) [5]; Single-Minded [5]; Telekinesis 30 (Psionic, -10%; Alternative Ability) [27].
Perks: Focused Medic [1]; Skintight Outfit [1]; Supersuit [1].
Disadvantages: Charitable (9) [-22]; Code of Honor (Hero's) [-5]; Honesty (9) [-15]; Pacifism (Cannot Kill) [-15]; Selfless (9) [-7].
Quirks: Dual Identity [-1]; Imaginative [-1]; Likes to Swim [-1].
Skills: Biology/TL8 (Earthlike) (VH) IQ-1 [4] – 12; Boating/TL8 (Motorboat) (A) DX-1 [1] – 10; Boating/TL8 (Unpowered) (A) DX-1 [1] – 10; Breath Control (H) HT-1 [2] – 10; Connoisseur (Music) (A) IQ-1 [1] – 12; Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News) (E) IQ [1] – 13; Current Affairs/TL8 (Science & Technology) (E) IQ [1] – 13; Detect Lies (H) Per-1 [2] – 12; Diagnosis/TL8 (Human) (H) IQ+1 [2] – 14*; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Medical) (A) IQ [2] – 13; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Medical) (A) IQ-1 [1] – 12; Free-Fall (A) DX-1 [1] – 10; Leadership (A) IQ-1 [1] – 12; Pharmacy/TL8 (Synthetic) (H) IQ+1 [2] – 14*; Physician/TL8 (Human) (H) IQ+1 [2] – 14*; Physiology/TL8 (Human) (H) IQ+1 [2] – 14*; Poisons/TL8 (H) IQ-1 [2] – 12; Psychology (Human) (H) IQ [1] – 13*; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ [1] – 13; Scuba/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Shadowing (A) IQ-1 [1] – 12; Spacer/TL8 (E) IQ [1] – 13; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4] – 12; Swimming (E) HT+1 [2] – 12; Tactics (H) IQ-2 [1] – 11.
Starting Spending Money: $4,000 (20% Starting Wealth).

* Includes +2 from Healer

Role-Playing Notes:
Sue is in many ways the heart of the Fantastic Four, keeping Reed grounded in reality while helping Ben cope with his altered body. She tends to "den mother" Johnny at times, much to his chagrin.

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-30-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: updates!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #180
Fnordianslip

Quote:
Invisible Woman
Advantages: Affliction (Invisibility) 1 (Advantage: Invisibility with Affects Machines, +600%; Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Malediction: Uses Long-Distance Modifiers, +200%; Psionic, -10%) [119];

Damage Resistance 30 (Force Field, +20%; No Signature, +20%; Ranged, +40%; Requires Concentrate, -15%; Switchable, +10%; Psionic, -10%) [248];
Hmmm, these two advantages seem a little off.

On the Invisibility Affliction, what's the Cosmic:Irresistible Attack portion for? Malediction already bypasses DR and there is no modifier to eliminate the quick contest for a Malediction. Maybe drop the Cosmic portion and up the level a bit?

For the DR, I'm assuming this is for projecting forcefields or protecting other people. If you want it to affect others, the enhancement of the same name is needed. If you want it to just be a bubble that works on an area, you might try Force Field, Affects Others, and Area of Affect. If I remember correctly, that will form a bubble o' DR for you. Also, when you have requires concentration, you don't need to also add switchable. By default, an ability becomes switchable if you tack on a transient quality for it. So, once you have costs fatigue, requires concentrate, etc, it's assumed to be switchable as well.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men